Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't a libertarian view be that this law does not exist at all? Doesn't the mere fact that they are requiring stringent tests and a certification process to allow this on the public road makes it the antithesis of the libertarian view? So it is exactly the opposite of a libertarian view because it calls for governmental oversight.
Note that the UN regulation is not a “law”.

Anyway, since you are so good at changing subjects, I was talking about liability part. Libertarians think liability will fix problems so regulations are not needed.

Your question does not make sense.
May be because you have not looked at Honda Legend related posts ? Search and you will understand.

Anyway, since you are so good at changing subjects, I was talking about liability part. Libertarians think liability will fix problems so regulations are not needed.
The funny thing is liability actually does give me confidence in L3-L5 systems. It's L2 systems, where the liable party has a poor understanding about the capabilities and limitations of the system, that need more oversight.

Note that the UN regulation is not a “law”.
Yes, It is regulation my mistake for calling it a law.
I didn't change the subject. You were the one who brought libertarian views into the discussion.

Liability is a major part of discussing ADS and what the levels of autonomy are partly based on. Liability is why Tesla tells you to keep your hands on the steering and monitor Autopilot, NoA, Summon, and FSD beta at all times so that makes Tesla libertarian then? Liability is not a libertarian view, liability is just a determination of who is responsible for something in case the ADS fails, and L3 - L5 puts the liability squarely on the ADS.

If Tesla for instance decides to assume the liability for their L2 system just like Mercedes assumes liability for their L3 system, it should give consumers a level of confidence in the system.
May be because you have not looked at Honda Legend related posts ? Search and you will understand.
Perhaps bring this information into this thread titled "Autonomous Car Progress", we love to discuss these things in this thread.

Last edited:

Here's the full clip:

He's been bashing Tesla and AP since 2017. Based on his description of AP's behavior in this video, it sounds like he's still describing AP from the 2017-2018 era (despite putting it in context with his covid travels). I have not seen AP drift out of the lane lines on a highway since those days. And AP does move away from large vehicles in adjacent lanes now. Has been doing this for about 2 years now.

I very rarely get PB on the highway anymore (though to be fair, I never use TACC, which was what Woz was complaining about). It was much more prevalent during the radar era. Every overpass or sign got me putting my foot over the accelerator just in case. Haven't had to do that with vision-only stacks anymore.

It's clear his mind was made up about Tesla AP, and he stopped using it because it was so unreliable. I just don't see today's AP stack behaving as bad as he describes. He mentions in this clip he's going with a Lucid for his next car.

Search. Don't ask others to do your work.
You did not think this one through, did you? Is this not you asking me to explain something to you that you claim can be easily found?
Explain to me how Honda Legend was sold (in small numbers) as an L3 and obviously wasn't tested properly.
You made an incredible claim such as the one above but you won't provide any information to back up that claim. If you have read or come across said information that you claim is out there, would it not be nice to share it with fellow enthusiasts on this board? And here I thought the purpose of this thread was to share information pertaining to the progress of ADS.

Reactions: cwerdna
Restaurant employee comes out puts bag in car and sends car on it's way. How does the Restaurant know what cars are going to what customers?

The restaurant would have a computer system for tracking that. Each car would have an ID. When they put the bags in the car, they go on the computer or the app and select that car and select the destination. The computer system would then record that the car is now en route to that customer. And, the computer system would show in real-time the status of each car. So they could check the screen and see that car #1 is at the restaurent and ready, car #2 is en route to customer A, car #3 is returning to restaurant, etc... With GPS, it is easy to track the location of each delivery car. That would be easy. Delivery services already have computer systems for tracking this. It would be similar with driverless cars.

These little guys have been delivering food at my daughter university for about 2 years. They stick to the sidewalk, move a bit faster than walking and has a limited service range but she says it’s cute to watch them maneuver around people. How they kept folks fed when the cafeterias were closed. Sad however when one got stuck in the tracks and was taken out by a train.

These little guys have been delivering food at my daughter university for about 2 years. They stick to the sidewalk, move a bit faster than walking and has a limited service range but she says it’s cute to watch them maneuver around people. How they kept folks fed when the cafeterias were closed. Sad however when one got stuck in the tracks and was taken out by a train.

Yep, I've seen posts years ago on Nextdoor about Starship delivering in a neighborhood sorta near me but that stopped (long story). Some people were commenting on how they had trouble w/sidewalks and others said one almost became a new hood ornament. Seems like I posted about this in 2019: Self-driving delivery robots causing traffic troubles.

I talked to some of their reps at CES before COVID at a TDK Ventures (https://www.tdk.com/en/news_center/press/20190820_02.html) booth. They knew about that area trialing them and how it wasn't the right neighborhood.

I was visiting my alma mater (UCLA) in Dec 2021 and saw a bunch of Starship robots (like the above) parked near the student union.