Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Argo.AI begins driverless operations in Miami and Austin:

I read the presser but still can't make out what "operations" mean. Are they starting to deliver goods or do "robotaxi" services or just testing operations ?

I'm continuously amazed at the PR team of these companies that spend hours to obfuscate than communicate and give themselves bonuses for being so clever.

I read the presser but still can't make out what "operations" mean. Are they starting to deliver goods or do "robotaxi" services or just testing operations ?

I'm continuously amazed at the PR team of these companies that spend hours to obfuscate than communicate and give themselves bonuses for being so clever.

Argo is testing driverless rides with employees. Before that, they had been doing public ride-hailing with safety drivers. They are also doing deliveries.

The on-road driverless operations in Florida and Texas are currently focused on using Argo’s in-house developed ride hailing app to transport employees around the two cities. This approach is similar to that used by Waymo and Cruise for the past several years in the Phoenix and San Francisco areas. Argo has also been carrying members of the public through its partnership with Lyft in Miami Beach since late December, 2021 but those rides still have safety operators on board. Argo is also doing Walmart grocery deliveries in both cities.

So, are they going to do driverless taxi service for non-employees in Miami & Austin ? That would be big news.

Yes, that is the goal. Similar to Waymo and Cruise, they test the driverless first with employees and then they open it up to non-employees. The article even mentions that they are testing their ride-hailing app. So it would make sense that they will eventually open up the ride-hailing app to the non-employees after they finish their employee testing. So the news today about driverless testing with employees is important because it is means they are one step closer to a driverless taxi service for non-employees in two major US cities, Miami and Austin.

6 months of operation:
"In other cases, motorists and cyclists get frustrated with its slow speed of 10 to 15 mph and frequent stops."

It also says it averages 10 riders per day. Another winning business model! Of course non-commercial trials are needed to develop the basic technology. But it seems teams focus way too much on building a product instead of meeting market needs.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Looks like Waymo is progressing rapidly. The times between major announcements are getting shorter and shorter. They should be opening up driverless rides to trusted partners in DT Pheonix in a few weeks based on the current trajectory.
The difference between downtown Phoenix and Chandler isn't that much. In other words downtown phoenix isn't very dense. To me this suggest that mapping and testing is a bigger hurdle than I previously thought.

• Funny
Reactions: Doggydogworld
To me this suggest that mapping and testing is a bigger hurdle than I previously thought.

How so? Waymo obviously mapped downtown Phoenix before they launched the trusted tested program in March. Now, less than 2 months later, they are announcing that they will go driverless in downtown Phoenix and adding the major Phoenix airport in "coming weeks". That does not seem like mapping and testing is a big hurdle to me.

At 37seconds you can see someone's leg in the right seat. At51 seconds someone is in the right front seat.
"In other cases, motorists and cyclists get frustrated with its slow speed of 10 to 15 mph and frequent stops."

It also says it averages 10 riders per day. Another winning business model! Of course non-commercial trials are needed to develop the basic technology. But it seems teams focus way too much on building a product instead of meeting market needs.
It can operate in Snow. Could the pod be level 5