Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting comment about GM UltraCruise. Wonder whether we'll see it in '23 models.

1670989590536.png

• Funny
Reactions: diplomat33
Interesting comment about GM UltraCruise. Wonder whether we'll see it in '23 models.

View attachment 884782
Ultra Cruise uses qualcolmm chips and GM says they are doing the software in house, so this is kind of like Tesla's initial move away from Mobileye (where Tesla used Nvidia hardware and in house software). So there will probably be growing pains.

I remember up thread, there was discussion about how Barra wanted Cruise to mainly help in GM's commercial products and the previous CEO refused, so was removed from Cruise. It will be interesting to see if Barra really got her way, with Cruise putting significant resources into developing solutions for GM's other products or if Cruise remains almost solely focused on the robotaxi service (in which case it'll be other GM departments working on Ultra Cruise).

View attachment 884782

Lol the Sandy Monroe boys as all the people who show up on any Tesla YouTube video are Typical Tesla fanatics.

“I know nothing about software”
Also “Tesla is light years ahead”

It’s also interesting that you find his comments “interesting” when they literally make no sense.

“Tesla is light years ahead because I don’t have my Lyriq yet and I don’t have my Lyriq yet because GM can’t get the already existing supercruise 2.0 that’s out already on several models working nor do they Know how to. Also I don’t have my Lyriq because they can’t get UltraCruise (which doesn’t come with Lyriq and has nothing to do with it) working.

By the way didn’t I say Tesla was light years ahead? More proof of it is my old GM car which still has ping pong LKA.”

If this is what interests you no wonder you believe Waymo won’t deploy in Seattle till 2040s. It makes perfect sense.

I remember up thread, there was discussion about how Barra wanted Cruise to mainly help in GM's commercial products and the previous CEO refused, so was removed from Cruise. It will be interesting to see if Barra really got her way, with Cruise putting significant resources into developing solutions for GM's other products or if Cruise remains almost solely focused on the robotaxi service (in which case it'll be other GM departments working on Ultra Cruise).

GM's Executive Chief Engineer for AVs says that GM has their own teams working on Super Cruise and Ultra Cruise but they collaborate with and learn from Cruise Co. He also says that GM plans to do fully autonomous consumer cars by "mid-decade". From the latest The Road to Autonomy Podcast. Creating the Cruise Origin

I find it interesting that both Mobileye and GM say they are planning to launch L4 consumer cars around ~2025. I am sure there will be delays and the initial launch will probably be on a few high-end models first. It will probably take time to trickle down to average consumer cars. But if the timeline holds, I think we could see the first L4 consumer cars by 2026 and probably mass adoption by the late 2030's.

View attachment 884782
Sounds like Cory doesn't have any seat time with FSDb to make a fair comparison. And maybe odder yet is he apparently hasn't seen or heard of any criticism of FSDb not working.

GM having a more broad customer base probably removes the "just ship it baby" AV bag of goods business plan.

Last edited:
Sounds like Cory doesn't have any seat time with FSDb to make a fair comparison. And maybe odder yet is he apparently hasn't seen or heard of any criticism of FSDb not working.

GM having a more broad customer base probably removes the "just ship it baby" AV bag of goods business plan.
But I think his point is he doesn't need to, because GM doesn't have a FSDb equivalent product on the market yet anyways (note Munro did have seat time in FSDb). By the time GM's system is out, FSDb would be on a different version.

They do have experience obviously with AP and likely have a positive impression of that vs the Super Cruise that is commonly available on GM vehicles. In this case Tesla's strategy of having a unified free included AP is helping them, vs a GM probably having a hodge podge of different ADAS systems depending on which vehicle you buy. I just checked, Bolt EV only has LKA, Bolt EUV has a lower end version of Super Cruise, only the Cadillacs have the full version.

Last edited:
Cruise will be offering free robotaxi rides to all students at the University of San Francisco:

Autonomous vehicle company Cruise told Axios this week it partnered with the University of San Francisco to offer free robotaxi rides to the school's more than 8,500 undergrad and graduate students through May 2023.

Reactions: EVNow
But the question is - where is UltraCruise. It was supposed to be on '23 model vehicles. Cory seems to be saying it will get delayed ....
No it was not. First, 2023 model year vehicles are cars made IN 2022. The model year format uses the year ahead.

UltraCruise was published to be released in 2023 not 2022 and the only car which has been mentioned officially to have UltraCruise is the (2024) Celestiq, deliveries supposedly starting late 2023.

Is that a big mistake just like supercruise 1.0 only being on one Cadillac model initially? Yes. But that’s not what’s being discussed here.

No it was not. First, 2023 model year vehicles are cars made IN 2022. The model year format uses the year ahead.

UltraCruise was published to be released in 2023 not 2022 and the only car which has been mentioned officially to have UltraCruise is the (2024) Celestiq, deliveries supposedly starting late 2023.

Is that a big mistake just like supercruise 1.0 only being on one Cadillac model initially? Yes. But that’s not what’s being discussed here.

I am really curious what Ultra Cruise will be like. My understanding is that it will be L2 hands-free "door to door". So will it do hands-free city driving with driver supervision?

Reactions: nativewolf
Lyriq ? That's what Cory mentioned.

I checked the original announcement from a year ago - it just says Cadillac models, without naming any.

PS:

Pps : Looks like Celestiq is the first in line to get the required hardware. It is a 200k, handbuilt car 😂

Last edited:
But I think his point is he doesn't need to, because GM doesn't have a FSDb equivalent product on the market yet anyways (note Munro did have seat time in FSDb). By the time GM's system is out, FSDb would be on a different version.

They do have experience obviously with AP and likely have a positive impression of that vs the Super Cruise that is commonly available on GM vehicles. In this case Tesla's strategy of having a unified free included AP is helping them, vs a GM probably having a hodge podge of different ADAS systems depending on which vehicle you buy. I just checked, Bolt EV only has LKA, Bolt EUV has a lower end version of Super Cruise, only the Cadillacs have the full version.

A little trivia. I'm sure a lot has changed since but my earliest recollection of GM's ACC/AV effort was an early 90's automated cruise control design using a Hughes Electronics radar patent. If the past is any indication, GM won't deliver AV to their customers until they are satisfied with the design. Within the GM group, Cadillac was the most resistant to transition to ACC/AV so it says something if Cadillac was in the planning. It cost oodles but GM's move to Cruise seems to be a good one.

A 2021 release said UltraCruise would enable 95% of driving scenarios (US public paved roads). I don't recall seeing a similar % release for FSDb but I would guess it's something less than 95% depending on how one defines 'enable.'

Last edited: