Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark and Autopilot 1 hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All! First post so apologies if this has been asked before!

I had a rental Model S last weekend and loved it, my girlfriend in particular loved the Autopark capabilities, the rental car had autopilot 2 hardware.

I have been given, albeit begrudgingly, permission to buy a used Model S!!!

I have seen one i like, 2016 facelift that has AP1, can anyone let me know, assuming the software is up to date, does AP1 have the same auto-park capabilities as this is a must for the Mrs!

Thanks!

I can confirm that AP1 does have the Autopark functionality included, and have used it many times on my own S. I don't know how it compares to AP2 as far as consistency, as I haven't used that feature on any of the AP2 loaners I have had over the years - someone else may be able to speak on that.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the group!

AP1 has Autopark, but it's super slow and not really reliable. I'd say it might be more reliable if I practiced lining the car up for it, but I think it's too slow for that to realistic for me. I don't know what AP2 Autopark is like.

...AP1...

I think currently, both AP1 & AP2 rely on sonars for autopark/summon so there's not much difference.

However, AP2 is promised to additionally use cameras in future for autopark/summon which will be expected to be better than AP1.

Autopark/summon is a beta feature so be aware that it is not perfect and owners have been reportimg crashes when they were unable to stop it timely.

Last edited:
As far as AP1 autopark being slow, it is indeed super slow for perpendicular parking (like in a parking lot). I really don't find that usefull at all, outside of novelty. If you are talking about parallel parking however, AP1 auto-park is fantastic. I honestly haven't noticed any speed or accuracy difference between AP1 and AP2 as far as parallel is concerned.

Thanks for all the replies, the AP2 I drove last weekend, i thought the autopark was incredible! I will make sure when im testing the AP1 car to take it a car park and test it out...with m foot hovering over the break!!!

As far as AP1 autopark being slow, it is indeed super slow for perpendicular parking (like in a parking lot). I really don't find that usefull at all, outside of novelty. If you are talking about parallel parking however, AP1 auto-park is fantastic. I honestly haven't noticed any speed or accuracy difference between AP1 and AP2 as far as parallel is concerned.

Until it runs you into a curb. Happened once and I haven't used it since. Cause... f that.

Auto Park (1 or 2) is a clever party trick, but honestly the best way to park is just do it yourself, and use the sonar sensors and the graphic that comes up on the screen.

It shows you, in inches, how close you are to hitting something on each side. That's super helpful.

Hi All! First post so apologies if this has been asked before!

I had a rental Model S last weekend and loved it, my girlfriend in particular loved the Autopark capabilities, the rental car had autopilot 2 hardware.

I have been given, albeit begrudgingly, permission to buy a used Model S!!!

I have seen one i like, 2016 facelift that has AP1, can anyone let me know, assuming the software is up to date, does AP1 have the same auto-park capabilities as this is a must for the Mrs!

Thanks!

That girl is a keeper. You should marry her!

I think currently, both AP1 & AP2 rely on sonars for autopark/summon so there's not much difference.

However, AP2 is promised to additionally use cameras in future for autopark/summon which will be expected to be better than AP1.

Autopark/summon is a beta feature so be aware that it is not perfect and owners have been reportimg crashes when they were unable to stop it timely.