Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark is starting to use cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may come as a bit of a surprise (it did when I first found out) but Autopark (FSD/EAP only) currently only uses ultrasonic sensors - no cameras. So if you ever wondered why you needed to park between other cars, that's why.

However, the new Model S refresh is now using a camera based system, and Green has found that the code for other models is already present, apparently just awaiting t be enabled. Green was able to hack his non refresh car to enable the new autopark.

The biggest take out from this as far as I am concerned is that parking will no longer be limited to parking between other vehicles as it can now see the white lines and can also detect other objects that need avoiding. It is apparently very slow though. Personally I'm not a fan of turning the steering when the vehicle is not moving.

Further chat on global site.

Last edited:
This is awesome news. I will say on our MYLR 2020, when I am backing in my drive way, the car wants to auto park. I let it and it does work without any cars around. Doesn't happen often that the car shows this available.

Since the ultrasonic sensors alone won't know it's a car, it must just be looking for "edges". So anything that gives the sensors the boundary edges it needs should trigger it. Which also explains why sometimes it doesn't detect an obvious space between cars, it just didn't detect a good enough boundary. It's unreliable and they clearly know that.

Thus vision version sounds much better, but it's clearly an early release and so I'm sure it'll improve further. Very promising.

Reactions: Wol747
Since the ultrasonic sensors alone won't know it's a car, it must just be looking for "edges". So anything that gives the sensors the boundary edges it needs should trigger it.

Ours offers a parking spot on our driveway which is actually some steps with a wall either side. Oddly, even if it was a legitimate parking space, there probably wouldn't be enough space to park a car - well not without summon to allow space to open the door!

Hmm. I thought that the automatic parallel parking already used the camera to find the edge of the pavement because it doesn't park next to walls. Will try covering up the nearside camera at some point and see if it still works. In the video it still looks nervous though as it parks.

Have to be honest, I preferred the system in my Volvo where I controlled the speed myself because the Tesla gets upset if there are pedestrians around.

Although vision-based Autopark arrived in a previous update, I had a chance to use this feature today. It seemed to take a while to get it to recognise a parking space, but once it did, it then did a reasonable job of reversing in.

vision-autopark.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger