Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It didn't take long to try and change the subject

Why is Tesla Vision and parking "sensors" so poor? It's nothing to do with UNECE

The defence of rubbish tesla vision parking is not to talk about higher order driving capabilities that may or may not be permitted due to UNECE.

Those wishing to defend Tesla, and who talk about the need for "constructive criticism" as if the complaints aren't, please answer this simple question or concede they are rubbish.

It's hard to get excited about self driving when the car can't tell if its 10 cm or 3m away from another object
The silence is deafening!

Yes indeed - I am still.waiting for someone here to explain / justify why Tesla's handling of the 'transition' from USS to Vision based Park Assist is OK, especially in the light of the camera based system being recognised as been so poor be most who have been inflicted with it (some of us having bought cars with USS - demo vehicle and Tesla website at time of purchase / not a word of this change befor/during or after sale). and this being the case, how the heck are Tesla, apparently with a straight face, claiming 'performance parity' for the two systems?

Simple question.....

...especially in the light of the camera based system being recognised as been so poor be most who have been inflicted with it ....and this being the case, how the heck are Tesla, apparently with a straight face, claiming 'performance parity' for the two systems?

Simple question.....
Yes, I'm 'inflicted' with it and the only area of almost 'parity' is when reversing with a clean rear camera in daylight (excepting low sun) or good lighting. Rear distance measurements are now improved and vision is OK with the three camera feeds plus mirrors. Kerb identification is also useful and this does seem to be quite accurate.

Everything else - anything going forward or any other of the many situations where the rear/side cameras are compromised by external factors that do not affect ultrasonics, it is woeful at best but mostly non-existent.

Nowhere near overall performance parity with sensors & it never can be with the hardware these cars currently possess. Those of us with vision only must surely agree that Teslas' claim of parity with sensors is pure deception.

This thread keeps going round and round but purely on the subject of sensors vs Tesla Vision I don't know what more there is to say?

Reactions: Whyone and Durzel

This thread keeps going round and round but purely on the subject of sensors vs Tesla Vision I don't know what more there is to say?

The absence of any support / justification for either Tesla's chosen approach to 'transition' to Vision based systems, the quality of these systems and Tesla's claims of 'performance parity' for Park Assist by the usual Tesla supporting / 'moaner' bashing suspects here is what remains unsaid ...

the usual Tesla supporting / 'moaner' bashing suspects here is what remains unsaid ...
There is this 143 page huge thread discussing the same issue. Myself including others have given videos of USS cars with similar issues to vision based ones. I don’t think we want to repeat all of it again. Most of the posters continue to maintain their same stance, so it is not clear what you are trying to achieve again by reinventing this thread. If you want to see your arguments the thread is here, please read when you have free time. Enjoy!

Maybe the reason why some people are happy and some aren’t is because of the various configurations..

New car - vision only.
HW3 car - systems turned off, now vision only
HW2.5 car - systems turned off, now vision only

Then S, X, 3, Y
Then cars built in different places.

Mine is the 2nd option above and as you know I think it’s crap. Yes I still have USS but that’s it. The rest of the auto drive is pants.

Others have posted and they are in the top group and they say it’s ok.

If you want to see your arguments the thread is here, please read when you have free time. Enjoy!

You could always unsubscribe from this thread? From skimming a few pages in your link it seems that, six months later, your side of the argument is still circling the elephant in the room: that literally every other car on sale has functional USS-based parking which is a tried and tested industry wide solution. Videos of your Tesla getting some measurements a bit wrong changes nothing.

There is this 143 page huge thread discussing the same issue. Myself including others have given videos of USS cars with similar issues to vision based ones. I don’t think we want to repeat all of it again. Most of the posters continue to maintain their same stance, so it is not clear what you are trying to achieve again by reinventing this thread. If you want to see your arguments the thread is here, please read when you have free time. Enjoy!

So, to summarise, in your esteemed and considered opinion a/ Tesla were entirely justified in removing hardware and associated functionality without notifying purchasers before, during or after delivery? b/ Tesla were entirely justified in taking 5 months to replace functionality; c/ the replacement functionality has complete 'performance parity' with the systems present on the cars (as shown on both demo vehicles in showrooms and the Tesla website) at point of order?

Last edited:
Probably the same as the emissions scandal?...just saying 🤷‍♂️
There were very few manufacturers who avoided the scandal but it's VW who are still mostly remembered for it.

I seem to recall that a real world test at the time had the Qashqai, one of the most popular cars in the UK, at 13 times it's reported emissions.

They were all doing the same thing, with the possible exception of Honda who didn't do diesel so much as they couldn't meet the regs, although that may have changed or course.

Tesla were entirely justified in removing hardware

Not disagreeing with you, but VW did that to me. I had a Blue Motion Golf, it had a bunch of clever bits and pieces that enabled me to hypermile between 60 - 70 MPG. Replaced it another one and those "clever bits" had been removed (I presume cost saving) and it was really hard to hypermile over 50 MPG ... and then VW did DielselGate which caused Eco-Me to look around the marketplace, 2015, and discover that an EV was available that could do 240 miles on a tank ...

So VW did me a favour. Maybe Tesla will do the same for the next Young Pretender

Coming next week with the holiday update. Looks cool, I'll remain skeptical on how accurate it is until trying it out myself.

Also begs the question, will this be available on USS cars? And if so will the USS remain functional?...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208-065523.png
    Screenshot_20231208-065523.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 20
Coming next week with the holiday update. Looks cool, I'll remain skeptical on how accurate it is until trying it out myself.

Also begs the question, will this be available on USS cars? And if so will the USS remain functional?...
Of all the things suggested as part of the Holiday update, this is the one that interests me. I’ve long wanted a decent 360 parking camera and this would be close.
But based on my experience with Vision parking I can’t see it working well.