Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark - Perpendicular Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted on Facebook Tesla Owners Worldwide

So my Model S just autoparked into an empty supercharger bay that had no cars either side. Anyone experienced this?
What did it show in the center console graphic? Did it think it was parking between two cars?
It is hard to even imagine how this played out: you were driving along perpendicular to the stalls and the P indicator just
turned on at some random point, or what?
I'm not doubting your claim -- I just want to better understand what you did (perhaps so that I can do it, too :)).

I couldn't get perpendicular parking to work until I figured out 2 things: I had to be further away from the line of cars, and I had to pull so far past the empty space that I was looking at the next car past the one I wanted to park next to. The Tesla needs a little room to maneuver.

What did it show in the center console graphic? Did it think it was parking between two cars?
It is hard to even imagine how this played out: you were driving along perpendicular to the stalls and the P indicator just
turned on at some random point, or what?
I'm not doubting your claim -- I just want to better understand what you did (perhaps so that I can do it, too :)).
I just read it on the Facebook group by Ryan Ross

Has anyone tried the perpendicular park feature to park in the garage?

Will it be able to sense the garage wall and 2nd vehicle in the garage? My garage is positioned that I would drive past it and could turn on auto park. (Don't have my car yet, otherwise I'd try it)

Yes, sort of — heading in not backing in. I ease the nose of the car into the garage, then double-tab the parking button to activate autopark and step out of the car. And watch the car like a hawk, with one thumb poised over the remote stop button. I tried this on my first test drive, with help from a Tesla associate. It was an important test because this is the only reasonable way to park a TMS in my garage space. Mine is a single, narrow unit with drywall on both sides, too narrow for the TMS doors.

The car steers itself to center between the walls, and I expect it would work fine with another car on one side. The better I line it up at the beginning the better it works. Once parked I can use summon to back it out and drive away again.

Has anyone tried the perpendicular park feature to park in the garage?

Yes, sort of — heading in not backing in

To be clear, mblakele is describing use of the summon feature, not the autopark feature. Parking with summon will only move the car straight in or out, making minor corrections to avoid obstacles. Autopark will find and park in a space between two obstacles that have the ultrasonic signature of cars. I suspect in your case this might work to park in the garage if you can drive by it nearly perpendicular and pull forward far enough for it to make the turn.

I'd like to find out of this works for you.

if you can drive by it nearly perpendicular and pull forward far enough for it to make the turn
This is the key (to doing actual auto-park). If you can do this, I'm fairly confident the car's sensors can handle the rest.
Or you could try mblakele's approach of using Summon (that's what I do with my garage). In either case you're going to be
Summoning it out.

Pro tip: don't set the side tolerance to "narrow" (or "tight" or whatever) until you know you really need to. If the car can manage with
the wider side tolerance it will do a better, more reliable parking job, keeping itself better centered within the available space. This seems
like something Tesla could improve, though. Ideally the car would try to park as if it had wide tolerance and only use narrow tolerance
when strictly necessary.

To be clear, mblakele is describing use of the summon feature, not the autopark feature. Parking with summon will only move the car straight in or out, making minor corrections to avoid obstacles. Autopark will find and park in a space between two obstacles that have the ultrasonic signature of cars.

Sorry, I can never keep Tesla's nomenclature straight — which may mean that it's unnecessarily confusing. All I really care about is getting the car parked.

Anyway in my experience that form of summon-based automatic parking manages to handle a decent angle too, more than just straight in or straight out. In my situation it's tricky to line the car up perfectly. Also the entrance of the garage is the narrowest part, narrower than the inside space. I've had the best results nosing the car in, even at a slight angle, before activating the automatic part. That gets the front sensors past the narrowest part, and gets the front wheels over the lip of the garage floor too. Then I exit the car to let it finish up.

From the manual I didn't think it would work with any angle at all, but during my test drive the Tesla associate suggested trying it. And it worked. I'm not sure how much of an angle though: maybe 15-20 degrees?

Sorry, I can never keep Tesla's nomenclature straight — which may mean that it's unnecessarily confusing. All I really care about is getting the car parked.

Anyway in my experience that form of summon-based automatic parking manages to handle a decent angle too, more than just straight in or straight out. In my situation it's tricky to line the car up perfectly. Also the entrance of the garage is the narrowest part, narrower than the inside space. I've had the best results nosing the car in, even at a slight angle, before activating the automatic part. That gets the front sensors past the narrowest part, and gets the front wheels over the lip of the garage floor too. Then I exit the car to let it finish up.

From the manual I didn't think it would work with any angle at all, but during my test drive the Tesla associate suggested trying it. And it worked. I'm not sure how much of an angle though: maybe 15-20 degrees?

FWIW, when I tried this with a loaner in my super tight parking stall with maybe 2-3 inches of clearance on the driver's side, the MS made a frightening turn towards the wall and I had to abort with maybe just an inch left to spare before the rear bumper touched the wall. However, I found that if I backed the car in straight (manually) and then pulled directly out, got out, then had the car Summon itself back into the stall, it would just back in a straight line.

Before my overnight test drive, I didn't think much of the Summon features. However, trying it in my designated parking spot made me realize that the Summon feature is actually pretty vital for my ownership. Without it, it would be extremely difficult to fit the car in my current parking spot without being a jerk to my stall neighbor.

Moving the car forwards/backwards 20 feet at 1mph did not sound very exciting before my test drive, but now I'm pretty stoked about having that ability.

Reactions: RogerHScott