Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 test hardware sighting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a repost, but it's new to me: from Reddit
8yyaIls.jpg

Qrbfmxx.jpg

uulAUJc.jpg

Very, very interesting. The LIDAR pucks on the side mirrors look a little too well-built to be made by a random third party. But the car seems to have regular plates, not the manufacturer plates you normally see on these test cars.

Exciting stuff :)

I couldn't find a picture fast enough last night to illustrate the point, but surely someone has a ride-height comparison photo with both an S and X side-by-side to validate my theory that the second fascia chunk is for X testing?

The other common question has been, how do we know this is Tesla?

Answer: We don't. But that fascia is BRAND new and already heavily modified (which suggests the operators have had additional time to do those modifications) so the rarity of that body part suggests Tesla or a very closely related supplier. Again, my theory, pure speculation.

That seems awfully crude for a prototype so far from the Bay Area, unless as you say it is a supplier's car. What kind of license plate was on the car?

Hey "pgh70D"-- you join our local Facebook group yet? If not... you should. Link on my blog.

My friend stumbled across this car while about 20 minutes before the puck dropped on last night's VICTORIOUS Penguins game and he was probably a 19.5 minute drive from home so... priority was with the hometown team, not this questionably modified S. He didn't realize the significance of it until after he sent me the pictures and I got a bit excited.

So we don't have any plates/interior pictures, just the ones posted on the Teslarati article.

HOWEVER, it has been brought up by another FB group member that prior to the current Autopilot they had stumbled across a similar prototype at the same Supercharger. The team then was less tight-lipped and volunteered that they WERE, in fact, driving across the country because the system needed to adapt/understand the various regional variations in road markings. So there is some precedent.

HOWEVER, it has been brought up by another FB group member that prior to the current Autopilot they had stumbled across a similar prototype at the same Supercharger. The team then was less tight-lipped and volunteered that they WERE, in fact, driving across the country because the system needed to adapt/understand the various regional variations in road markings. So there is some precedent.

Sure, it wouldn't surprise me in general if they are doing cross-country tests. What I find odd in this case is specifically how much of a hack job the setup is. Seems pretty susceptible to damage on a long trip (not to mention super ugly to look at).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker