TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AutoPilot 2.0 Updates Pending

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by dgindio, Aug 12, 2016.

1. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

The "wired" source is electrek, whose source is:

"Sources with knowledge of the Autopilot program"

which in most likelihood means TMC.

There is no new information here.

• Funny x 8
  3. BEEC

BEEC New Member

That's great! my model X 90D was confirmed on July 19th, but I asked DS to delay the delivery to Feb next year, anticipating for change and updates like this.

• Like x 1
  4. Buddy

Buddy Member

...but then just before you take delivery there will be talk of autopilot 3.0.

Can't keep up with all the tech.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  5. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

IMO, a wise move;)

6. dn3032

dn3032 Member

Any idea when? I heard they were adding this week larger casings for the "Tri-Focal Camera" and maybe also new radar on the four corners of the car... I just traded my P85 in for the 90 and its suppose to be coming next week but not if.... see attached article: http://jalopnik.com/teslas-next-version-of-autopilot-may-go-fully-autonomou-1785213775

7. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It almost certainly will not, based on Tesla's history to date.

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

Well I guess...I will wait to place order of MX until next year...:)

10. valkeriefire

valkeriefire Member

This could be all hype. Tesla recently announced they are breaking relations with the Israeli MobilEye manufacturer and that they will be making their own hardware in house. This either means they have their own hardware ready, or that they will be using MobilEyes new hardware, or they don't have anything ready yet, and new updates are still a ways out. Given that Elon called MobilEyes technology "out-dated", I don't see Tesla purchasing the new system from them. I also don't think Tesla could have made they own system in house fast enough to get it to market this year. Based on that, I think this is fluff and we won't be seeing new hardware in 2016. I could be wrong, in fact I'd love to be, I just don't see how tesla could have built this in house so quickly.

11. FredLambert

FredLambert Member

Author of the article. I often source content from TMC, but when I do, it's always mentioned and linked in the article. When it;s not, it's because it's not from TMC.

Before claiming that it is, can you at least point me to a TMC thread stating that new camera housing are going in the Model S this week?

• Like x 11
    • Helpful x 1
  12. DougH

DougH Active Member

#12 DougH, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Can you edit your articles?....if so this sentence: "We reach out to Tesla for a comment on this report earlier this morning, but we didn’t get an answer. We will update if we do".

Should say "reached out" not "reach out"

• Helpful x 1
  13. valkeriefire

valkeriefire Member

Thanks for posting Fred. I hope you are right about the new hardware. Any new tech is good for Tesla and we all want to see them succeed. If it is true, does it mean that their relationship with MobilEye isn't over yet?

14. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Keep up the great work @FredLambert, your website is a daily read for me.

• Like x 5
  15. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

But why do you have to use that ghastly, ponderous expression at all? How about 'we asked Tesla'? Plain English (or American) please.

16. FredLambert

FredLambert Member

Done. Thanks.

17. FredLambert

FredLambert Member

The relationship is not completely over. Tesla has an important fleet of vehicles using Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and they want to keep improving on the system. 8.0 will be one example of that and they could likely push it a little further, though they are approaching the limits of the current hardware.

What they said is that they will not continue any development after Tesla discontinues the EyeQ3 chip in the next gen Autopilot, while it was previously thought that Tesla would use EyeQ4, then EyeQ5 etc., but now they say they won't.

In the article, I mentioned Mobileye's trifocal camera constellation, but like I also mentioned, it's not exactly Tesla's new front-facing camera system. Tesla has been using this system to develop the next gen so it will likely be similar to it, but not exactly it.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  18. DougH

DougH Active Member

Saying "we reached out" is a very common phrase used by a lot of media sources. I think "ghastly' is a bit overly dramatic.

• Like x 3
  19. David99

David99 Active Member

It's just funny how people call it AP 2.0 when the current version is officially still considered beta (meaning not even 1.0).

20. FredLambert

FredLambert Member

I understand what you mean, but make no mistake. When Elon says that he is using the word "beta" in wide releases not in the traditional software development sense of the word, but to make sure owners stay vigilant, he is not lying. Those features have been thoroughly tested in internal beta programs and some features were also tested in closed external beta programs (EAP).

Keeping the word "beta" in some of the released features is just an unconventional layer of security.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1