Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot 2.0 Updates Pending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand what you mean, but make no mistake. When Elon says that he is using the word "beta" in wide releases not in the traditional software development sense of the word, but to make sure owners stay vigilant, he is not lying. Those features have been thoroughly tested in internal beta programs and some features were also tested in closed external beta programs (EAP).

Keeping the word "beta" in some of the released features is just an unconventional layer of security.
I just wish we had some idea of timing. I have a MS going into production next week, so if I am to push back the order I have to act soon.

I read about another update to the Tesla AutoPilot and that was the sole reason for me buying a used Model S. I was not going to keep waiting another 2,3,4 years to buy a car that has full autonomous driving. If I keep waiting I would never buy a Tesla. Having a used one now keeps me content because I am driving the best damn car on the planet (in my eyes). :)

Looking forward to the update and looking forward to when Tesla releases the first fully self driving car. I will be in line. It will be like having a chauffeur. Hahaha

I just sold my P85 and my 90 is in transit.. But I told the local guy that if it doesn't have the new housing and wiring harness to accommodate upgrades, I'm going to cancel only of course if this weeks versions do have those things.. They screwed up my leasing (from when I ordered to to when the gave me the final docs ($175 higher per month) anyway so I was possibly going to cancel anyway and change the configuration.

Author of the article. I often source content from TMC, but when I do, it's always mentioned and linked in the article. When it;s not, it's because it's not from TMC.

Before claiming that it is, can you at least point me to a TMC thread stating that new camera housing are going in the Model S this week?

Yeah you are doing great work there Fred. Electrek is now my first read of the day, replacing TMC. Better info.

Reactions: MikeC
I understand what you mean, but make no mistake. When Elon says that he is using the word "beta" in wide releases not in the traditional software development sense of the word, but to make sure owners stay vigilant, he is not lying. Those features have been thoroughly tested in internal beta programs and some features were also tested in closed external beta programs (EAP).

Keeping the word "beta" in some of the released features is just an unconventional layer of security.

For us in ordering period. What would you recommend? Keeping, delaying, or maybe assuming late September builds will have new hardware?

Thanks

For anyone interested in Autopilot 2.0 I invite you to check this article from NVIDIA and watch the video:
End-to-End Deep Learning for Self-Driving Cars

The article addresses some technical aspects of AI and neural networks but overall the main ideas are understandable to anyone.

It's a "basic" project that only uses 3 front cameras, the previous version of "Nvidia PX" system and the CAN bus to interact with the steering wheel. It doesn't of course address many (necessary) things expected in a "true" autonomous system but it sure gives an idea where things are (or were in a recent past).

Achieving a 98% autonomy in the test drive is really amazing for such simple system...

I'm quite sure that Tesla Autopilot 2.0 will Nvidia systems and their new "NVIDIA PX-2" for the MCU with multiple radars, ultrasound sensors and the 3 front cameras.

It's becoming ever more clear that we will have full Autonomous drive very very quickly.

Do you know the date when your car finished production?
Mine finished yesterday, but will be 6 weeks before delivery to Sydney.
Not exactly sure. The website updated to "in production" on Tuesday (8/16) and then was "in transit" yesterday so I figure it started sometime over the weekend or it is still in production lol.

Waiting a week is hard enough once it's done, can't imagine waiting 6 weeks!:)

Chris