Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Adjust Max Speed Before Engaging

Would you like to be able to use right scroll wheel to adjust max speed before autopilot is engaged?

• Yes

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had the car for almost 2 months now and love it. This is one of the few "I wish it worked this way" ideas I've come up with.

The AP max speed is displayed in gray inside a circle below the actual speed. It really feels like you should be able to adjust this by scrolling the right wheel before engaging autopilot. I am set up for 5 mph over posted, but when I am leaving my neighborhood (25mph) I like to stay at 25mph. If I engage the car tries to get up to 30 while i adjust speed down after engaging. With a well timed flick of the wheel I can stop the car from getting over 25, but it would be nice to adjust and then engage. Low end should be locked to current speed to prevent accidental deceleration. High end could be limited to +10mph over programmed max. Wheel is currently serving no purpose before AP is engaged. Who's with me?

No - it would add a layer of complication onto a control that needs to stay the way it is. There are very few physical controls available in our cars, and tesla doesn't like adding new features to them that would require everyone to relearn the controls.

Reactions: ElectricEel
Just set the default speed to 0. If you want set it higher, accelerate to desired speed over the limit and engage. It will behave like other Cruise controls when you are over the speed limit. You don’t want to set the speed manual on the screen each time you want to engage.

I have mine set to engage 6km (3.5mph equivalent)over the speed limit. I find that not too extreme and can adjust from there to where I like.

I tried a little higher for a while and found it felt like the acceleration was running away. Or like it was an uncomfortable speed on a quiet urban street at night.

My problem is that the map in the car shows 100 kmh and the correct speed is only 50. Strange that one side shows 50 & the other is 100. That is a LOT of wheel spinning! Works OK if following another car. Tried changing the speed in Open Street Map, but it doesn't seem to stick. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Keith I'm having the same issue with roads where the speed limit isn't known. When I start my day, those unknown roads will have no "gray circle" and engaging TACC adopts the current speed just like my car did before I ordered AP. On the way home, however, it stores the last known speed limit (55mph/~90kmh) and tries to drive that on residential streets where the limit is much lower. I'd rather it just set the current speed for all unknown roads rather than picking a speed based on other roads' known limits.

As for OSM, I think we're both out of luck. I have been editing OSM like crazy, trying to make my local drives better. However, it seems like neither speed limit changes nor road updates make it into Tesla's navigation. A month after editing it, the nav still tries to take me down a road that was physically removed years ago. It's correct in Google and OSM, but not Tesla Nav.