Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and lane keeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently collected my M3LR (without FSD) and was wondering if I'm doing lane changes on auto pilot correctly?

I had the pleasure of driving a MS in early 2019 which while on AP could change lanes by activation the indicators. However, it seems as though the M3 does not have this feature and to change lanes with AP on you need to switch off AP (and listen to the chimes), changes lanes and the re-enable AP (and listen to the chimes).

Is this correct or is there a way to change lanes on AP?

I recently collected my M3LR (without FSD) and was wondering if I'm doing lane changes on auto pilot correctly?

I had the pleasure of driving a MS in early 2019 which while on AP could change lanes by activation the indicators. However, it seems as though the M3 does not have this feature and to change lanes with AP on you need to switch off AP (and listen to the chimes), changes lanes and the re-enable AP (and listen to the chimes).

Is this correct or is there a way to change lanes on AP?

I do believe this is functioning as designed. My understanding is that you need FSD for it to do the lane changes with the indicators. The listening to the chimes can get a bit frustrating, but not enough for me to pay for the FSD upgrade!!!

Reactions: Empato
My experience is that with AP enabled, just indicating isn't enough to cancel AP.

With AP on, I turn the wheel against the resistance and indicate. AP cancels (bing bong) but TACC remains active. I then complete the lane change and re-enable AP with a double tap on the stalk (bong bing).

Reactions: bhav
My experience is that with AP enabled, just indicating isn't enough to cancel AP.

With AP on, I turn the wheel against the resistance and indicate. AP cancels (bing bong) but TACC remains active. I then complete the lane change and re-enable AP with a double tap on the stalk (bong bing).

Indicating definitely cancels autopilot, although sometimes there is a delay (if there is a vehicle nearby for instance, or the road isn't straight). Also if for some reason the indicators don't cancel then AP won't re-engage.

The indicators can be a bit of a faff sometimes - I usually push them past the initial resistance to the point that they stay on and have to be manually disengaged. Usually you can do this with a brief push in the same direction but sometimes that doesn't work and you have to do a brief push in the opposite direction. Sometimes that will then put the indicators on the opposite direction for 3 flashes and sometimes it won't. o_O

When I first got the car I tried both but didn't like the slight jerk/swerve when disabling against resistance. Since then I just indicate to disable AP & then re-enable in the new lane.

Is a full indicator press required to disengage AP? I rarely push the stalk past the 'notch' when changing lanes, just an initial press for 3 flashes. I'm guessing this is where the difference is?

Luke

it can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes a short press will disconnect autopilot Bing Bong (TACC) remains on. Sometimes it take a full selection to disengage and Bing Bong. Steering against the resistance is quite a violent jerk. Wait for the Bing Bong.

I'm pretty certain that indicating does not disengage autopilot, but massively reduces the resistance on the wheel required to disengage autopilot, so the slightest nudge of the wheel while the indicator is flashing will disengage it. After you indicate, you can take over easily without the jerk.

it can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes a short press will disconnect autopilot Bing Bong (TACC) remains on. Sometimes it take a full selection to disengage and Bing Bong. Steering against the resistance is quite a violent jerk. Wait for the Bing Bong.

I don't push through the resistance, just rest up against it. Whilst resting up against it, a gentle press on the indicator is enough to disengage AP (bing bong) and the resistance disappears. I'm expecting this to happen, so there's no jerk or swerve. Once I've completed a lane change, I have to re-engage AP with the right hand stalk, as there's no indicator to cancel.

I'll try a full indicator press, past the notch, on the commute home on Friday night.

I don't push through the resistance, just rest up against it. Whilst resting up against it, a gentle press on the indicator is enough to disengage AP (bing bong) and the resistance disappears. I'm expecting this to happen, so there's no jerk or swerve. Once I've completed a lane change, I have to re-engage AP with the right hand stalk, as there's no indicator to cancel.

I'll try a full indicator press, past the notch, on the commute home on Friday night.

I will try the rest against the resistance tonight That sounds like it could be more consistent. That said I just got 36.10 so will see what that brings as well

Reactions: LukeUK
My findings from Friday night's drive home;

1. Indicating only, with zero steering input, has no effect on AP.
  2. A light dab on the indicator, followed by steering input to change lanes, will cancel AP but keep TACC. I found this less smooth than 4 or 5.
  3. A full indicator 'click' performed the same as 2, but the indicator remained on, as the steering input whilst changing lanes isn't enough to clear the indicator. As above, this felt jerky to me.
  4. Resting up against the AP resistance, then a light dab on the indicator, removed the resistance and AP disengaged, but TACC remained on.
  5. A full indicator 'click' in the same circumstances performs the same as 4.
  6. After settling in the new lane, a light 'double tap' on the right hand stalk (no need for a full click) reinstated AP.
  7. Just steering to change lanes results in heavy resistance and a lane departure warning. (The road was clear behind me when I tested this).
  8. Touching the brakes or raising the right hand stalk cancels TACC and AP.
Luke

• Informative
Reactions: timpharrison
Maybe if you don't indicate the resistance is caused by the safety lane keep kicking in. It would probably resist you if AP wasn't active and it was turned on if you tried to leave the lane without indicating, although to be honest, I've not tried it.