Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Roundabouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current implementation of Autopilot in the Model S/X is basically lane + distance following cruise control on a bunch of steroids... It knows either how to center itself in a lane or parrot the car in front of you in the absence of lane lines. It currently has no awareness of stop signs, red lights, roundabouts, pedestrians crossing (*), etc, and is primarily meant as a highway super cruise control.

Of course, autonomous systems that understand roundabouts and other complex situations are already being demonstrated in prototype form so it's very likely that by the time the Model 3 comes out, it will be a reality.

(*) The system does have the limited ability to warn about imminent collisions with pedestrians and also is aware when pedestrians are walking near your car when it's stopped (and in that case it puts itself in brake hold instead of automatically resuming when traffic is clear ahead). But these are rudimentary safety systems, not automated driving.

My Model S disengaged the only time I tried to take it through a roundabout in my community. I have no idea whether the system was confused or just had been programmed to not make the attempt, but I also have no idea how it would have known when to stop going in circles had it continued on. There are four possible routes it could take and without driver input I guess the default would have been the straightest route, but that also may have not been the right route.

I live in a community with lots of roundabouts. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is something Autopilot has been programed to handle? The answer won't affect my M3 purchase, I'm mostly just curious about it. Thanks!
The current version of AP is not to be employed on roads with cross traffic. Tesla is very clear about that. It is for freeways and highways with no cross traffic.

Do not use it on roundabouts, please. In a roundabout, cars are constantly entering and exiting along a tightly curved path and the lane marking lines appear and then disappear at each entrance/exit making it very hard for AP to maintain the lane.

The current version of AP is not to be employed on roads with cross traffic. Tesla is very clear about that. It is for freeways and highways with no cross traffic.

Do not use it on roundabouts, please. In a roundabout, cars are constantly entering and exiting along a tightly curved path and the lane marking lines appear and then disappear at each entrance/exit making it very hard for AP to maintain the lane.

Yes, for the current version of autopilot you can't use it in any intersection. But for the Model 3 we have no idea.