Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is this one to install right away or wait for a while before installing? So many new and changed things in it, my IT experience I is telling me to not be the first....... (I don't have autopilot hardware though)

-m

image.png

About five days days for nationwide roll out

About five days days for nationwide roll out

Just be careful because Elon could have misunderstood that to be how many days until he expects 7.0 to roll out in the U.S. Saturday -> Thursday is five days. Hopefully that is not what is happening and he meant by next week rollout should be complete, but I can imagine him misunderstanding the question.

I've really been looking forward to this auto-pilot update. But many people are going to be pissed over the new UI just because it's different. I do hope the date and temperature don't disappear.

I think acceptance of the new UI will also depend on if you have the AutoPilot hardware. It seems like 7.0 is tailored to providing information to the driver sensed by the Tesla's hardware so that the driver understands what AutoPilot is doing. If you don't have the hardware it seems like a lot of wasted space to see a mostly static picture of your car while you drive.

I'm going to give this 24 hours before getting excited about it because I know Musk has a tendency to delete tweets.
I'd bet he gets asked this question on Twitter (and IRL) a hundred time a day and has very carefully avoided answering it for 300+ days.. He posted this purposefully and with forethought. It wasn't an off the cuff answer to an interview question. It's legit.

Keep in mind that release 7.0 will also include many other new features ... :cool:
http://www.teslarati.com/what-we-know-tesla-firmware-7/

Tesla Firmware 7.0 – What we know so far

We know that the Model X will be delivered with firmware 7.0 but Model S owners are still waiting for the official roll out.Overall the whole look of the user interface (UI) has been flattened which may take some time to get used to, similar to when Apple made the major UI change on iOS. You have a mixed bag of opinions when it came to the new iOS look. Some love it and others seemed to have just gotten used to it, and I expect we’ll have a similar experience when firmware 7.0 is released.

Dashboard updates

image: http://d2odvx3v4cbpyu.cloudfront.ne...Tesla-Autopilot-Firmware-7-e1440083451835.jpg
Tesla-Autopilot-Firmware-7-e1440083451835.jpg

The dashboard display seems to have received the most significant updates in 7.0 and include the following features.

Center Display

• The speedometer (center portion) is completely gone and replaced with new elements.(see questions below for non-autopilot cars)
  • The driving speed is now displayed as a large number and replaces the analog display.
  • The cruise control symbol appears near the speed when activated.
  • Range has been moved from the center display to the bottom left.
  • Driving mode (P, R, N, D) is displayed on the bottom right of the screen.

image: http://d2odvx3v4cbpyu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Model-S-Firmware-7-1024x641.jpg
Model-S-Firmware-7-1024x641.jpg

• A major new element that appears on screen is an image of your Model S towards the portion of the center display (see video below). The image adjusts according to the following statuses:
    • Blind spot warning indicators
    • Lane keep assist indicators
    • Traffic Aware Cruise Control indicator
    • Standard indicators like turn signals, hazard indicators, brake lights, headlights
    • Speed limit warning indicator
    • Collision warning indicator
  • Headlight, high beam and auto high beam indicators still appear on the top left.
  • There’s a new tow indicator when you have something attached to the Model X hitch.
  • Hill hold is much improved and there’s a special hill hold indicator on the dash now.

Left and right side widgets:

• A clock widget is now available but without activating this, there doesn’t seem to be any other indicators of time and date from the center display.
  • An updated energy graph is present. This widget also pops up when power is limited.
  • The trip widget received a major UI update and displays the since last charge and trip meter (A), but removes the second trip meter (B). The second trip meter is still accessible but only through the 17″ center touchscreen display.
  • There is a “Car Status” widget which displays a real-time in-context view of the vehicle’s current state (seat belt warning, parking and proximity sensor indicators, .. etc). Among the statuses being displayed is a tire pressure reading for each corner. Tire pressures are displayed while the vehicle is in motion...

Firmware 7.1

Firmware 7.1 Will be released on Thursday 15th October 2015.

"Some exciting news this week: Tesla Version 7 software with Autopilot goes to wide release on Thursday!"
"Lots of upgrades and a new look, although main UI upgrade coming with 7.1"
-Elon Musk

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the new page for the new firmware 7.1. Please keep us posted if you have the update.