Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Showing off to a pretty girl does not count. No male should be held to that high a standard.
Okay now that is funny! I can totally relate to that scenario.
But I'm sure that Elon has shown hands off Autopilot to males as well.
I think that when Autopilot is engaged you can keep your hands off the wheel. The text statement is just to satisfy Tesla's attorneys.

Regarding hands off/on:

"We're being especially cautious at this early stage. We're advising drivers to keep their hands on the wheel just in case because the software is still at an early stage. So its important that people exercise caution in the beginning."

**emphasis mine**

Sounds to me that its purely a strong suggestion at this point and not a requirement.

Elon: When visual cues are misleading (e.g., conflicting lane markings), car will rely on GPS to determine lane position

That's strange.. I didn't think GPS had that good resolution without assisted or differential GPS. The best I've seen the accuracy on consumer level GPS is about 9 feet. 9 feet to the left or right sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I would NOT trust GPS to that level of accuracy (lane keeping, that is).

He mentions they are developing a high accuracy dataset of maps I believe.

All the cars will be constantly sending information to Tesla automatically so they can better develop overtime and increase accuracy. For example, if they see that drivers are taking over at a specific location, they know that the car is most likely not making the right decision at that particular location. So they will evaluate that location, fix it, and upload the change.

That's strange.. I didn't think GPS had that good resolution without assisted or differential GPS. The best I've seen the accuracy on consumer level GPS is about 9 feet. 9 feet to the left or right sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I would NOT trust GPS to that level of accuracy (lane keeping, that is).

I think there's more going on than just that. I think they have a database and know when you are in a trouble area and turn on the "think hard" bit or something similar. But who knows.

Elon on Early Access Program (beta testers): Some have had autosteer for several months [maybe only employees?], others for just a few months. The most valuable feedback has been automatic reporting of where there are trouble spots or people taking over manual steering.

Conference call audio

Looks like they are building a really impressive crowdsourced database that is going to put them light-years ahead of competitors. Love this company!

So, will this be the first car out there with this type of technology? I keep finding conflicting information online (and a question even was arised in the conference call). What differentiates Tesla's autopilot from what Mercedes and Audi can do. Do they already have technology that is hands off and follows the lane?

- - - Updated - - -

Car will improve week by week, even without a software update, just based upon the collective data from all of the other cars. Insane.

So, will this be the first car out there with this type of technology? I keep finding conflicting information online (and a question even was arised in the conference call). What differentiates Tesla's autopilot from what Mercedes and Audi can do. Do they already have technology that is hands off and follows the lane?

There are other vehicles with lane-keeping. Most of them require hands on the wheel periodically and will disable without it. I've never heard of any other car with the level of intelligence and crowd-sourcing technology.