Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Who you calling defensive?" ;) Anyway, I'm not defending anything. I just think you're a bit early for the pitchforks. We don't have real data from real firmware in the hands of "normal", real customers yet. You've already declared armageddon.
Pitchforks? What pitchforks?
I'm stating (and with rather calmly phrased, hopefully someone comprehensible arguments) why this is a no-go update for me.
Yes, this may seem like pitchforks to people who won't accept anything but excessive, blind praise for whatever they are offered - but especially from you I'm rather surprised about this characterization.

Totally true, and understandable, but we've got enough "known problems" to complain about without wasting brainpower and stress on what might be coming.

I think there's a pretty decent chance today's language was just a CYA.

Assuming the software acts as we've seen in the beta videos, the question then becomes will Tesla continue the CYA language even after they stop referring to the software as beta software. And if they keep the language, do we care if the car actually does what we expected it to do in the first place?

Some might make the argument that if Tesla is now (and by now I mean in the future, when the software is out of beta, and assuming they maintain the CYA language) telling is not to use the feature they way they had marketed it, then they have not delivered what they promised. (A familiar refrain around here lately.) Others might argue that Tesla is only leaving the language in place to appease lawmakers, regulators, etc., and it's really just a wink and a nod to us as owners, since the car really does do what they said it would do.

Should things play out as above, I'm not sure which camp I'd fall into, but I think I'd be leaning towards the latter.

I think there's a pretty decent chance today's language was just a CYA.

Assuming the software acts as we've seen in the beta videos, the question then becomes will Tesla continue the CYA language even after they stop referring to the software as beta software. And if they keep the language, do we care if the car actually does what we expected it to do in the first place?

Some might make the argument that if Tesla is now (and by now I mean in the future, when the software is out of beta, and assuming they maintain the CYA language) telling is not to use the feature they way they had marketed it, then they have not delivered what they promised. (A familiar refrain around here lately.) Others might argue that Tesla is only leaving the language in place to appease lawmakers, regulators, etc., and it's really just a wink and a nod to us as owners, since the car really does do what they said it would do.

Should things play out as above, I'm not sure which camp I'd fall into, but I think I'd be leaning towards the latter.

Kinda like they would never encourage you to exceed the speed limit, but the car goes to 155 MPH.

Yes, this may seem like pitchforks to people who won't accept anything but excessive, blind praise for whatever they are offered - but especially from you I'm rather surprised about this characterization.
I'm kind of amazed by this characterization, especially in this thread where we've been discussing the leaked power meter design flaws in some detail.