Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot (camera) issues on hot days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed that Autopilot isn’t enabled after I park my car in direct sun for the afternoon (although I’m not yet confident the heat is related).

When activating cruise it says “cruise unavailable” and none of the surround view is active in the Instrument Cluster (IC).
There are no camera errors reported (nor radar errors). Autopilot is similarly unavailable.

Interior temperature while parked is >130F.

[I don’t have cabin overheat active because it’s incompatible with the enhanced anti theft package.]

Has anyone else experienced the autopilot (& cruise) features being unavailable. (All cameras are clear, autopilot/cruise functions return later that same day, though not in the same driving session).

I’ve tried (at the behest of phone support) resetting both screens, powering down the car (waiting 2 mins), disabling sentry mode & removing the USB drive. None of which have an effect. Upon startup, cruise/autopilot remain unavailable.

MCU1, AP2
The last 3 software updates haven’t altered this behavior. (Currently 2019.20.4.2)

Thoughts welcome

I spend a lot of time in SoCal desert where my interior temps go up like yours ..I don’t use overheat protection ..I haven’t really noticed this behavior and this is over 2 Tesla’s S and X one AP1 other AP2.5 ..the cameras usually enable when they can see the road (lines) etc

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
Happened again yesterday after interior temp hit 147F.

No warning (prior to attempting to engage cruise) other than the surround view showing no surrounding vehicles or lane lines (all on roads that otherwise function with autopilot before/after)

Yes, this used to happen to me but was not temp related. There was a thread somewhere talking about this--it is a function of leaving Sentry mode on. Let the vehicle sleep for a period without Sentry mode on and it should resolve. I've received at least two software updates since this last happened, so I'm not sure if there was a fix for it. The thread I read including a quote from a Tesla rep stating that Sentry mode was the issue, they were aware of it, and it was a critical issue for them to resolve.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks @KS73. I tried as you (& Tesla) suggested, disabling sentry mode. Alas, with sentry disabled the issue persisted after significant internal cabin temp (it’s the most significant pattern I’ve observed).

Part of my suspicion that it’s temperature or hardware related, is that even after powering down the car for 2+ mins (with sentry disabled), the issue persists upon wake.

I’ve heard two other theories : a.) that heat within in the (forward) camera housing creates too much noise on the sensors, or b.) that the GPU underclocks if the AP hardware is too toasty?

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks @KS73. I tried as you (& Tesla) suggested, disabling sentry mode. Alas, with sentry disabled the issue persisted after significant internal cabin temp (it’s the most significant pattern I’ve observed).

Part of my suspicion that it’s temperature or hardware related, is that even after powering down the car for 2+ mins (with sentry disabled), the issue persists upon wake.

I’ve heard two other theories : a.) that heat within in the (forward) camera housing creates too much noise on the sensors, or b.) that the GPU underclocks if the AP hardware is too toasty?

Thoughts welcome.
What part of CA are u in ? I’m in indian wells last few days and temps have been 110+.. my interior hotter .. but no issues .. i don’t use sentry mode

Reactions: dogldogl