Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot causes an accident. What now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it thought the median was the lane... It drove me into it wanting to put itself back into what it thought was the lane and hit the sign/median, i was looking away when it happened. It happened really quickly.

I'm very grateful nobody was hurt... but my confidence in the system has been shattered. 12k incident free miles since this on AP
...enough said...

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike_TV
So do you have the Dash Cam Sentry Mode video available so we can see what really happened? Am sure Tesla has this information. And for the record if an airplane crashes while on Auto Pilot and the Pilot didn’t take control who gets the blame, the airplane or pilot?

Man up and take responsibility.

Reactions: 101dals
As many people have already commented, yes, autopilot is intrinsically better designed for highway use. My previous post never challenged this assessment. I only raised the question of how commonly people use it on city streets.
perhaps autopilot is more feasible in a rural small city town that is more mellow….where green field surround rather than nonstop concrete for 500 miles…
I actually think the exact opposite is true. While on city streets, I think autopilot operates best in congested, stop-and-go traffic. Sure, you would still need to take control for any turns, but this is also true for FSD. Autopilot becomes troublesome on city streets when the pace is more intermediate, like when you might frequently be the first in line at a stop light.

...enough said...
In defense of the OP, it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security. how many accidents (without AP) happen because people look down at the radio, get distracted from their kids, etc? When you use AP/FSD you start to learn where it will have trouble but every once in a while they mess up unexpectedly in areas where they typically do fine.

With that said, This was absolutely not Tesla's fault and if you're using AP in the city you should know that intersections are an area in which it doesn't do well.

I agree with @TomServo & @Bassmanbrett - I'd like to see the dash cam footage just to see how AP went wrong.

I disagree that it is easy to get into a false sense of security. I have to disengage at least once a trip…
It depends where you are. If you’re cruising on a highway it does quite well. We were driving up to our cabin about 6 weeks ago on an empty 2 lane road using AP/FSD when out of nowhere the car suddenly veered off to the right. I took over right away but it felt like we would have gone into the ditch had I not. I still have no idea what caused it because that was a use that AP typically excelled at. It would have been easy for me to be looking down, changing the music or whatever. I never have a sense of security with intersections, though, but it’s still easy to get distracted. Like I said, it happens all the time with people driving ‘normal’ cars and aren’t expecting them to drive themselves.