Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot doesn’t require hands-on at 45 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When was your car built… mine wants my hands stroking it once every 20 seconds. Maybe you have rough hands.

Software: 2021.3.106.5. It was delivered on Aug 15th on east coast. I can assure you if my car is moving slowly around 20-30 miles per hour, it won’t remind me of hands on wheels for minutes. By the way, I don’t mind at all, but just curious if others experienced the same.​

Well if you read the manual there would be no mixed indication. You most certainly do.

You got me! But to make it up to you I just read all 222 pages of the Model Y 2020 owner's manual, and all I saw was ...

When active, Autosteer requires you to hold the steering wheel. If it does not detect your hands on the steering wheel for a period of time, a flashing blue light appears at the top of the car status section of the touchscreen and the following message displays: Autosteer detects your hands by recognizing light resistance as the steering wheel turns, or from you manually turning the steering wheel very lightly (without enough force to retake control). Autosteer also qualifies your hands as being detected if you engage a turn signal or use a button or scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

So I'm super curious what you're talking about. Sometimes the car prompts me to touch the wheel, and sometimes it doesn't.

You got me! But to make it up to you I just read all 222 pages of the Model Y 2020 owner's manual, and all I saw was ...

When active, Autosteer requires you to hold the steering wheel. If it does not detect your hands on the steering wheel for a period of time, a flashing blue light appears at the top of the car status section of the touchscreen and the following message displays: Autosteer detects your hands by recognizing light resistance as the steering wheel turns, or from you manually turning the steering wheel very lightly (without enough force to retake control). Autosteer also qualifies your hands as being detected if you engage a turn signal or use a button or scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

So I'm super curious what you're talking about. Sometimes the car prompts me to touch the wheel, and sometimes it doesn't.
This was your statement:

I've had very mixed indication of whether or not I needed to put hands on the wheel

This part ends all mixed indications:

When active, Autosteer requires you to hold the steering wheel.

The lack of a nag isn’t relevant to whether or not the steering wheel requires your gentle caress.

This was your statement:

I've had very mixed indication of whether or not I needed to put hands on the wheel

This part ends all mixed indications:

The lack of a nag isn’t relevant to whether or not the steering wheel requires your gentle caress.

But that's not true. It doesn't require you to hold the wheel. Proven by not holding the wheel and it remains active. You are requested to hold the wheel, and that's about it.

Reactions: techlogik

But that's not true. It doesn't require you to hold the wheel. Proven by not holding the wheel and it remains active. You are requested to hold the wheel, and that's about it.
No, the instructions say you need to hold the wheel. It might not force you to, but you are still required too.