TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot Fleet Speed?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by platylover, Jun 12, 2019.

1. platylover

platylover Member

Wife was driving on autopilot in her model x and she said as she was about to pass a slower model s in the lane to her right, her speed slowed down to match the model S even though her lane was clear. This happened yesterday.

Today she took model x to SC for another reason and asked about this behavior and service advisor said there was a new update that pushed a fleet speed autopilot function near on-ramp and off ramps. Anyone hear about this?

2. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Simple answer. Her Tesla is a female and the other Tesla is a male. Cars were flirting :rolleyes::D
    Service advisor might be right, but sometimes I find they have no clue and just guess. A service advisor tried to tell me something about how the Nvidia computer was working until I said "you know, I worked on those things and you are wrong." Summary, while there are some smart advisors out there that keep up on changes, I never take their comment as fact :)

3. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

Fleet speed means the car has all the data of Teslas that have driven in that area, and if they tend to slow down, your car will slow too. It can help with going around bends in the road. It had nothing to do with that 1 specific Tesla in that spot.

• Informative x 1
  4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Fleet Speed appears to be used not only for highway ramps but also on the highways, and may be the cause for some of the phantom braking while operating on TACC, AutoSteer or NOAP at highway speeds.

Fleet Speed sounds like a clever and great idea - using the history of other Tesla vehicles in the same location to provide guidance to the AP system on the safe speed to drive.

Using high-definition navigation maps also sounds like a clever and great idea - using HD maps to determine lane/ramp positioning.

Musk has commented that using HD navigation maps wouldn't work - and that the best strategy was for the onboard AP system to properly detect the current conditions (which may be different from the HD maps).

The same logic applies to Fleet Speed. The speed of other Tesla vehicles driving on the same section of road is only relevant when the current conditions are similar to that used by the previous vehicles. Road conditions can change considerably, impacting the speed - based on the amount of traffic, time of day, weather, ...

Until the AP system is able to correctly detect the current conditions, using Fleet Speed to control vehicle speed may help - though it will also likely result in unnecessary slow downs if the current conditions support higher speeds.

Wish there was a way to tell the AP software to ignore Fleet Speed, at least until it works better...