Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot free trials coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$5k is truly ridiculous for what you currently get with it. Unless you use it every day on your commute, then I just don't see the value at that price point. If they actually came out with FSD for a total of $8k, then I could see the value when I can get chauffeured around.

This and the fact that many manufacturers are offering some level of this as a cheaper option or included in their higher level vehicles.
Nissan, Honda, etc have TACC and Lane Keeping Assist standard in their $30k+ vehicles. I don't see how Tesla can continue to justify it as an option (a hefty $5k software option) when they are selling their vehicles as revolutionary.

If they offered components of EAP (TACC, Lane Keeping Assist) as lesser priced options, then I might consider it.

I would be super happy if they gave me the trial in September, that is when I would potentially use it the most going back for football games in Manhattan, KS. Agree with a lot in here that it's just too expensive to justify (and I will admit I find it super foolish to pay that much for FSD when it doesn't even exist yet, but that's your money not mine) given my driving habits. Most of my driving is in the city on city roads, not highways. The standard autopilot of collision avoidance and lane warning stuff will be an improvement on the nothing I have right now but my own driving abilities.

I look super forward to a world with full self driving, and I am not saying EAP the FSD won't be cool, just a lot of money for stuff I could be using elsewhere. If they brought the price down to 2k to 3k, I could be talked into it.

Buying a Tesla without its iconic self driving is like buying a Christmas tree, but not putting lights on it : )

The package only seems expensive because Tesla is already including all the driver assists in every car. That is what makes "just the software" seem expensive.

Most people buy pre-lit Xmas trees now. It's part of the basic package ;)

I don't think the point about resale is valid. The hardware exists, so it can be activated at any time.
I think the $5k software will be one of the greatest depreciating points of the vehicle.

The whole paying FULL PRICE for BETA software model that Tesla uses is completely back-ass from a traditional software model. Traditional approach is pay LESS for BETA with the guarantee that you get full functionality as the product develops. Paying full price for something the buyer doesn't know will ever be realized (AP1 already obsolete) is just highway robbery.

Do the math on the $5k loan after 7% tax for 60 mos @ 3%. You're actually going to pay out $5767 for EAP!

Most people buy pre-lit Xmas trees now. It's part of the basic package ;)

I don't think the point about resale is valid. The hardware exists, so it can be activated at any time.
I think the $5k software will be one of the greatest depreciating points of the vehicle.

The whole paying FULL PRICE for BETA software model that Tesla uses is completely back-ass from a traditional software model. Traditional approach is pay LESS for BETA with the guarantee that you get full functionality as the product develops. Paying full price for something the buyer doesn't know will ever be realized (AP1 already obsolete) is just highway robbery.

This is the other thing that also keeps me from doing it. It's paying a lot of money for you to be their guinea pig.

Honestly one of the reasons I would want it is without on the Model 3 at least, there is no "resume" on the cruise control. You can set it, you can disengage it but you cant resume your old speed without accelerating back up to that speed and resetting it.

Getting a full tax credit is probably the main reason that I decided to get it. I can't speak for others but so far it's working great even though it's in BETA. I'm hopefully more features will be added in the future.
I believe from Elon's comments yesterday that huge improvements are coming sooner than later. I just hope I don't get hooked on EAP after the free trial. Lol

$5k is truly ridiculous for what you currently get with it. Unless you use it every day on your commute, then I just don't see the value at that price point. If they actually came out with FSD for a total of $8k, then I could see the value when I can get chauffeured around.

This and the fact that many manufacturers are offering some level of this as a cheaper option or included in their higher level vehicles.
Nissan, Honda, etc have TACC and Lane Keeping Assist standard in their $30k+ vehicles. I don't see how Tesla can continue to justify it as an option (a hefty $5k software option) when they are selling their vehicles as revolutionary.

If they offered components of EAP (TACC, Lane Keeping Assist) as lesser priced options, then I might consider it.
I mentioned something similar in another thread and some people got really offended that I had the audacity to say that autopilot wasn't worth the money and that other car companies offer similar features at a fraction of the cost.

Do note that the E in EAP remains to this day decidedly silent. Zero additional features have been added to AP since it was just AP. And they should have named it DriverAssist to avoid most of the grief associated with the misnomer “Autopilot”.

With that said, TACC alone is worth the price of the car; to a lesser extent, AS is helpful but without TACC I wouldn’t buy AS (as a stand-alone productized service).

Whether in stop and go traffic or in the middle of nowhere, the driver assist features currently available change one’s engagement from active to supervisory. At least one study so far has confirmed lower stress while driving as a result.

So there’s that.

Other manufacturers have the same features but none of them work as well as or better than Tesla’s do. With the glaring and notable exception of blind spot notification.

Of Tesla’s two primary competitive advantages (Driver Assist features and charging infrastructure), the DA features are most at risk of being overtaken by a competitor. It would be nice if Tesla won that race as well, but unless and until we actually see the E in EAP, let alone anything that resembles FSD, and oh by the way catching up to MobilEye’s AP1 at some point would be nice, I’d say the race is wide open.

Other manufacturers have the same features but none of them work as well as or better than Tesla’s do. With the glaring and notable exception of blind spot notification.

TACC is quickly becoming a standard on $30k vehicles. It was around before AP1 and there are plenty of exceptional implementations of it. I drove an Audi last year with TACC that was exceptional and a Range Rover that was mediocre.
Our Honda Clarity has TACC as part of the BASIC PACKAGE. It's not exceptional with responsiveness, but it demonstrates that the "Average" manufacturer and cars that Tesla will soon be competing with at $35k are equipped with it.

Too much arrogance in the Tesla world that AP "features" are unique to Tesla.
We don't have FSD yet, and It's doubtful we ever will with this generation of vehicle.

TACC is quickly becoming a standard on $30k vehicles. It was around before AP1 and there are plenty of exceptional implementations of it. I drove an Audi last year with TACC that was exceptional and a Range Rover that was mediocre.
Our Honda Clarity has TACC as part of the BASIC PACKAGE. It's not exceptional with responsiveness, but it demonstrates that the "Average" manufacturer and cars that Tesla will soon be competing with at $35k are equipped with it.

Too much arrogance in the Tesla world that AP "features" are unique to Tesla.
We don't have FSD yet, and It's doubtful we ever will with this generation of vehicle.
How does the TACC on the Honda Clarity compare with Tesla? I love the way Tesla implemented TACC. It works at any speed and on the Model 3 you can use the right steering wheel scroll button to adjust follow distance and maximum speed.

We have a CRV with Honda's pathetic attempt at TACC and Lane Keeping - its so useless its not funny. It gives up at the slightest bend in a highway, brakes for the stupidest things. The TACC is even worse, it leaves too large a gap then loses the car in front and accelerates at full speed only to slam on the brakes later.
Even worse, if you don't hold the wheel it drops TACC and switches to standard cruise which means if TACC was keeping you at 40 with a set speed of 60, the car accelerates hard to 60 right into the back of the car in front. Pathetic.
OTA improvement? No sorry, not there with Honda and Toyota either. If you want an upgrade you have to buy a whole new car.

Give me EAP any day, its well worth the asking cost.

How does the TACC on the Honda Clarity compare with Tesla? I love the way Tesla implemented TACC. It works at any speed and on the Model 3 you can use the right steering wheel scroll button to adjust follow distance and maximum speed.

It works essentially the same with every vehicle I've driven with it (Audi, Range Rover, Honda). You can adjust your proximity/ sensitivity level via the steering wheel.
The biggest difference I noticed across the vehicles was how responsive it was to resume speed after slowing down. The Audi was very responsive but not abrupt, the Range Rover was slower to respond and the Honda is almost hazardous at times because it's so slow to respond and get back up to speed (wife doesn't like it). I have a feeling Nissan is very solid since they are advertising it heavily.

We have a CRV with Honda's pathetic attempt at TACC and Lane Keeping - its so useless its not funny. It gives up at the slightest bend in a highway, brakes for the stupidest things. The TACC is even worse, it leaves too large a gap then loses the car in front and accelerates at full speed only to slam on the brakes later.
Even worse, if you don't hold the wheel it drops TACC and switches to standard cruise which means if TACC was keeping you at 40 with a set speed of 60, the car accelerates hard to 60 right into the back of the car in front. Pathetic.
OTA improvement? No sorry, not there with Honda and Toyota either. If you want an upgrade you have to buy a whole new car.

Give me EAP any day, its well worth the asking cost.

Agreed that LKAS is really just for highway cruising with straight line. I don't have your experience with the TACC, other than slow to get back up to speed (2018 Clarity). I never experienced the hands off the wheel part. It alerts you after 10s if your hands are off the wheel, and I comply.
That said … $5K difference with the current version of EAP?
$5 THOUSAND DOLLARS... JEESH. Honda GAVE it to you on a CRV. How much was the CRV? $32k maybe?

Agreed that LKAS is really just for highway cruising with straight line. I don't have your experience with the TACC, other than slow to get back up to speed (2018 Clarity). I never experienced the hands off the wheel part. It alerts you after 10s if your hands are off the wheel, and I comply.
That said … $5K difference with the current version of EAP? $5 THOUSAND DOLLARS... JEESH. Honda GAVE it to you on a CRV
No they don't its only part of EX and above trim levels.
Even then if free=crappy and paid=good I know which one I'd choose.

I'm also driving a Tesla, not Honda - I also know which one I'd rather be driving.
Really don't understand this kind comparison which ignores all of the things that a Tesla is - but focusses on a few specific features of other cars - while at the same time conveniently ignoring all of the other catastrophic things wrong with them. Least of which is that they are stinking gas burners, with untrustworthy dealers, oil changes, brake maintenance, no OTA etc etc.
The Honda you buy today will exactly the same POC in a few years. The Tesla you buy today will improve with time, all the time.
The 2012 Model S are STILL getting updated.

• Helpful
Reactions: GWord and DR61
5k is the entire value of my chevy volt if I trade it in. I really want it but it is too expensive. I might get it anyways though as I would likely use it every day. But is it worth the cost of a whole-nother EV?

Isn't it only $2500 to activate AP1 on older model Ss?

Last edited:
I agree that it's expensive. I did end up getting it and I am loving it so far. I use TACC, auto steering and auto park every chance I get. It greatly reduces the amount of stress for me when I drive.

I think in the future the cost will go down. Once they are able to sell more volume, the cost of R&D can be spread across many more cars. I fully understand that I'm paying a premium to be an early adopter.

That's interesting...and you've found it to be effective for parking? I tried and tried to use it but I find I park faster and more accurately than it can. I've had to stop it several times from hitting the curb and scratching up my rims...so I never use the auto-park features anymore.

But to me, all these 'nice', 'cool' features don't justify the price tag. Of course, like you said, some are willing to cough it up to have it, and be an early adopter.

The first 'adaptive cruise controls' cost nearly $3000 when they came out. Now many manufacturers include this option free. I would never had paid $3000 for an option like that.

But just as Tesla is charging $5000 right now, I have to believe this will come down soon as more and more manufacturers start including it.

That's interesting...and you've found it to be effective for parking? I tried and tried to use it but I find I park faster and more accurately than it can. I've had to stop it several times from hitting the curb and scratching up my rims...so I never use the auto-park features anymore.

But to me, all these 'nice', 'cool' features don't justify the price tag. Of course, like you said, some are willing to cough it up to have it, and be an early adopter.

The first 'adaptive cruise controls' cost nearly $3000 when they came out. Now many manufacturers include this option free. I would never had paid $3000 for an option like that.

But just as Tesla is charging $5000 right now, I have to believe this will come down soon as more and more manufacturers start including it.
The auto parking is amazing although a bit scary cause it looks like it gets really close to the other cars. I'm embarrassed to say it does a better job at parking than I do.

Reactions: Troy916
That said … $5K difference with the current version of EAP?
$5 THOUSAND DOLLARS... JEESH. Honda GAVE it to you on a CRV. How much was the CRV? $32k maybe?

Your equivalency of Telsa's TACC and Autosteer with TACC and LKAS from other manufacturers is false. I have driven an AP1 Model S for 3 years and an AP2 Model 3 for 3 months now. No other manufacturer's previously shipping or currently shipping driver assist systems can touch what Tesla is doing.

If you don't get that, then of course you will think it's not worth the price.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett and DR61
Your equivalency of Telsa's TACC and Autosteer with TACC and LKAS from other manufacturers is false. I have driven an AP1 Model S for 3 years and an AP2 Model 3 for 3 months now. No other manufacturer's previously shipping or currently shipping driver assist systems can touch what Tesla is doing.

If you don't get that, then of course you will think it's not worth the price.
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't really heard about what was offered from other car manufactures if they have a similar technology to Tesla's AP.

The only rival to Tesla's AP that I've personally read about is Cadillac Super Cruise (works only on freeway and is only available currently on the 2017 Cadillac CTS).