Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot free trials coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a Model 3, and did not buy EAP. My thought process: I first off wouldn't use it that often, but more importantly, I'd be afraid of trusting it too much. I've heard of all those people saying "I've seen it do the right thing 99 times, so when it doesn't on the 100th time, you don't expect the error." EAP may drive decently with certain respects, but in others where it decides to jump lanes/do crazy things, it worries me. I feel like I'm babysitting a new driver, which I don't want to do. I'd be open to it in the future, but at this stage, it's neither worth the cost of entry, nor the risk I perceive in it. I'll try the demo, but that's about it. I also enjoy driving the Model 3, so paying for a computer to drive the car for you seems to be counter-productive.

So I have a Model 3, and did not buy EAP. My thought process: I first off wouldn't use it that often, but more importantly, I'd be afraid of trusting it too much. I've heard of all those people saying "I've seen it do the right thing 99 times, so when it doesn't on the 100th time, you don't expect the error." EAP may drive decently with certain respects, but in others where it decides to jump lanes/do crazy things, it worries me. I feel like I'm babysitting a new driver, which I don't want to do. I'd be open to it in the future, but at this stage, it's neither worth the cost of entry, nor the risk I perceive in it. I'll try the demo, but that's about it. I also enjoy driving the Model 3, so paying for a computer to drive the car for you seems to be counter-productive.

One of my very first posts was knocking EAP and a seasoned member corrected me.

A lot of misconceptions or assumptions gets thrown out when you have practical experience using AP over many miles.

As far as man vs machine that’s easy to settle.

Man is greater than machine
Man + Machine is greater than man or machine by itself.

Big assumption also that man is Alert and attentive which isn’t always the case.

One of my very first posts was knocking EAP and a seasoned member corrected me.

A lot of misconceptions or assumptions gets thrown out when you have practical experience using AP over many miles.

As far as man vs machine that’s easy to settle.

Man is greater than machine
Man + Machine is greater than man or machine by itself.

Big assumption also that man is Alert and attentive which isn’t always the case.

Saw this on another forum.
upload_2018-8-9_5-44-25.jpeg

I'm in a similar camp. Until I know I can trust it 99.9%, I don't want it to lull me into a false sense of security. It's not that I don't trust the AP... I don't trust how diverse and poorly designed American roads can be. I feel AP can only fully be trusted/realized when we standardize all our road designs. I mean, sure I'll try it for free just to check it out, but I don't plan on paying for it until we get there.

I agree that the logic of the above poster makes sense. Man + machine is great, however again I just feel like I'd let my guard down too often.

AP trial is active on all Model 3s as my nephew didn’t order EAP but has it enabled.

As a person drives with AP they naturally gain experience for appropriate and inappropriate situations on when to deploy it.
Route familiarity is a big part of this.

AP doesn’t have to be used all the time. Just because one has garden sheers they don’t deploy that to cut out a coupon when a scissor is more appropriate.

When AP is enabled, driver now has a moment to crack open a beer err soda with two hands so wheel doesn’t break loose or drink doesn’t spill.

Or with AP enabled driver now has more mental cycles freed up because they are no longer regulating speed or lane centering.
They can look much farther down the road and to the sides. This contemplation time allows you to anticipate the emotions and actions of drivers around you to increase overall awareness.

Fatigue is reduced tremendously and I cannot ever imagine taking long trips without AP again.

There is so much FUD out there with AP because people unfortunately establish preconceived notions on how it works and oversell their own limitations.

I haven’t seen any testimonies to where anyone who has ten thousand miles of AP experience decide they would never get it again on their next car.

I will add my 2 cents, as a big Autopilot proponent.

I've only had my M3 since 7/23, but have already put on quite a few miles on Autopilot due to my fairly long freeway commute in heavy traffic in the Washington D.C. / Baltimore area (1000+ miles on AAP so far is my guess). For comparison, I have been driving a Volvo with TACC / Lane Keeping for several years on the same commute, and probably racked up about 30000 miles on that system (which is MobileEye based -- similar to AP1). I would never go back to another car that I planned to commute in or take on long trips without these features.

My take is that these systems take quite a bit of the stress out of driving on long, boring freeway drives...you essentially don't need to worry about rear-ending someone, which is probably the most common type of accident you see in that kind of traffic. It's also GREAT in stop-and-go traffic where you are creeping along. If you don't do much freeway driving, then the system probably isn't worth $5K at this point.

Keep in mind that this is NOT autonomous driving...it's a driver ASSISTANCE feature. You still need to pay attention to what's going on, and understand the limits of what the system can and can't do and take appropriate action when you see something happening it can't handle. That being said, if you get distracted for a moment or whatever, chances are that the system will keep you safe -- much safer than if you got distracted without it. My recommendation for new users is try it on a freeway that you know very well and can pay extra close attention to potentially tricky parts of that road, so you understand the limits and get comfortable with the system.

From what I've seen, Autopilot has worked as advertised, and does an excellent job of staying centered in the lane. Auto lane change also works great. The only time I've seen it do anything remotely flaky is if there's an exit lane on your right with no lane markings...it thinks it's an extra wide lane and starts to center itself...but then usually catches itself and moves back to an appropriate spot. I have not experienced any sudden braking events as others have reported in the past (don't know if this was part of a software fix)....people blamed tree shadows, overpasses, etc, which I encounter every day with no problems. It's as least as good as (probably better) than the excellent Volvo system, which has also never given me any issues.

Everyone will obviously form their own opinion, but please don't discount the value of the system based on internet hysteria about a few crashes where people were not paying attention when they should have known better. Take the opportunity of the free trial to see for yourself -- my guess is a whole bunch of folks are going to spend the $ on the software upgrade once they see what they're missing.

Can anyone confirm exactly how this works? Is the AP trial started automatically with install of 2018.28.1? Or does it give you a button to start at any time? Or is it a separate activation that comes at some point after installing the software update? The articles so far on it are very unclear...

We are going on our first long trip in the M3 over Labor Day weekend and would love to have the trial active at that point. I have a no-AP build and have never had any AP features active at any point (contrary to reports of "all" cars being delivered with AP active...) Trying to figure out if I need to hold off on installation of 28.1 until close to the end of the month (or get it installed ASAP to get the AP invite at a later date?) Thanks!

Can anyone confirm exactly how this works? Is the AP trial started automatically with install of 2018.28.1? Or does it give you a button to start at any time? Or is it a separate activation that comes at some point after installing the software update? The articles so far on it are very unclear...

Installed the 2018.28.1 software update yesterday and can advise that it did not result in any AutoPilot trial being initiated or made available (that I can see, at least).

I'm betting that most of the folks who didn't bother with EAP will pay up once they try it.
Especially if you also read the IIHS report comparing it to the Volvo, BMW and Merc systems.
The other systems are laughable compared to Tesla
Volvo could only stay in its lane about half the time, BMW was even worse, it couldn't stay in the lane for ANY of the test!.

The funniest bit is that if you own one of those cars which are terrible now, they will stay bad.
While EAP in your Model 3 (which is already pretty darned good) will continue to improve over time.

That's why I was happy to pay $5K for it.

[edit to add link]
Enhanced Autopilot Trial

Buying a Tesla without its iconic self driving is like buying a Christmas tree, but not putting lights on it : )

It's more like putting lights on the tree, but not plugging them in. The hardware is already there.

We had a month of EAP as a free trial when we bought the car, and enjoyed it, but won't spring for it now as we don't do enough driving that warrants it. But the great thing is, we could add it at any time, or the next owner can, by which time it will probably be less spendy.

What I would spend extra for is if they could stitch together all the camera views to make an overhead view- a little surprised that's not available, and it sounds like it won't be.

Reactions: ZappCatt
We had a month of EAP as a free trial when we bought the car, and enjoyed it, but won't spring for it now as we don't do enough driving that warrants it. But the great thing is, we could add it at any time, or the next owner can, by which time it will probably be less spendy.

Nope.

EAP is no longer sold.

You, or the new owner, would need to spend $7000 (currently- the price keeps going up, not down) for FSD to get the same features today you could've had for 5k with EAP last year.

What I would spend extra for is if they could stitch together all the camera views to make an overhead view- a little surprised that's not available, and it sounds like it won't be.

Not physically possible based on where the cameras are located and aimed