Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - I finally caved.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for right at 6 months and didn't buy EAP upfront. After having the equivalent of TACC in my wife's Expedition, not having it in my Tesla became a liability. I have had a couple instances where I'd be driving the Tesla in cruise control only to get up on someones tail in front of me before remembering it's not going to prevent me from rear-ending someone at 70 mph. YIKES.

So, I finally caved while recently charging at a Supercharger and bought EAP through my online account. First, that was quick! Thought it was going to take a while to download, but the upgrade was INSTANT. Very impressive.

But the most impressive part is the Autosteer I know this is old news to most of you, but man what technology! I have never ridden in a Tesla with EAP before, so to use it just minutes after upgrading was so cool. The TACC is nice too, but seems like that should be included with standard equipment. Anyway, nice to finally join the crowd.

Just wish I had bought it when I got the car and saved a few grand. $7k hurts.
Sorry man. If you waited 1 week you could have gotten Autopilot AND FSD for 5k.

"The other thing that still bugs me to this day day is how indifferent the car is to the distance it chooses to be away from 18 wheelers when passing them on the highway."...

Not only 18 wheelers but also trucks with wide loads and swerving drivers. And it cannot see upcoming potholes. It seems to lack human judgement?

I love the EAP on an Interstate when I am a little tired, but it is worthless on some roads I travel. Arizona Highway 89A travels down a cliff on a series of steep narrow switchbacks between Flagstaff and Sedona. It is one of the most beautiful roads in the US. But don't try it in EAP. I did and found that on the hairpin turns EAP drops out and the car heads straight for the ditch along the road. Going the other way, I assume that it would head over the cliff! But then that highway is narrow and lacks standard lane markings and cell coverage.

The only thing I really hate about EAP is that it seems to have trouble sensing my grip on the wheel in the desert when my palms are sweaty. I have to continually wipe my hands and eventually give up. But then the smart cruise control is fantastic.