Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the Autopilot and Autosteer features in my new Model Y. Two improvements I’d love to see:

1. When engaging Autosteer, car jerks towards the center of the lane if I’m not centered. A gradual centering would be much better.

2. After changing lanes Autosteer has
to be re-engaged. On my previous car (Kia Telluride) Autosteer automatically re-engages when new lane markers are detected.

@maskinazi interesting comment, but honestly I never noticed
that the car was making an abrupt lane recenter when engaging FSD.
However, I would like to be able to keep the car offset from the center
when passing a truck or a vehicule very close to the side of my lane.

I am not sure to undertand why you need to re-engage FSD to change lane.
It seem to me that I just need to press my turn signal to let know
that I would like to change lane and the car decides to process
when it is safe to do it.

That's FSD/NoA, which includes auto lane-change. With built-in autosteer (which I believe is what @maskinazi is referring to), you have to manually change lanes, which disengages auto steer, and requires re-engaging (via stalk) after lane change is complete. It would be nice if autosteer could re-engage automatically. And it seems reasonable to do so, given that recent firmware (since ~2022.44) has auto turn-signals (and knows when the car has completed a lane-change). Imagine if you could have an option to re-engage autosteer upon detecting completed lane-change - that would be a nice enhancement.

@maskinazi interesting comment, but honestly I never noticed
that the car was making an abrupt lane recenter when engaging FSD.
However, I would like to be able to keep the car offset from the center
when passing a truck or a vehicule very close to the side of my lane.

Ok first post, and I could be wrong... but I think for #2 you can hold down (or up) the turn signal while using autosteer and it will automatically change lanes for you (takes a bit...) and then continue with autosteer without needing to re-engage.

Ok first post, and I could be wrong... but I think for #2 you can hold down (or up) the turn signal while using autosteer and it will automatically change lanes for you (takes a bit...) and then continue with autosteer without needing to re-engage.

Autosteer doesnt change lanes for you. Thats an enhanced autopilot or FSD feature.

Tesla describes exactly which features are available in which versions on their website:

================================================

Autopilot​

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control

Enhanced Autopilot​

• Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the motorway when indicator is engaged by driver
  • Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively augments Auto Lane Change by providing guidance to the driver to transit motorway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes and navigating interchanges
  • Autopark: Helps parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, manoeuvring around objects as necessary to come find you in a car park within your direct vicinity.

Full Self-Driving Capability

• All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision.
  • Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets
The currently enabled Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As Tesla’s Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capabilities evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Welcome to owning a Tesla @maskinazi. I'm about one year ahead of you.
I love the Autopilot and Autosteer features in my new Model Y. Two improvements I’d love to see:

1. When engaging Autosteer, car jerks towards the center of the lane if I’m not centered. A gradual centering would be much better.
The classic Autosteer is definitely programed with the idea that it is dangerous to drive anywhere but the center of the lane. One of the things that really struck me during my first months with a Tesla was that I and most other drivers rarely do a good job of centering our cars in the lane. My own centering has significantly improved since I became used to the Tesla's centering, which has also minimized the problem you describe. Now when it does happen, I now consider it my goof, not the car's error.
to be re-engaged. On my previous car (Kia Telluride) Autosteer automatically re-engages when new lane markers are detected.
Using the turn signal to change lanes is part of Auto Lane Change, probably the most important upgrade that comes with Enhanced Autopilot, currently $6,000 of additional revenue for Tesla. Not including Auto Lane Change with base Autosteer is probably primarily a marketing decision.

With more advanced automatic driving systems, standardizing how to disengage, and confusion about whether automatic driving is engaged are very major safety issues. Personally, even after a year, I still occasionally forget that turning the steering wheel does not disengage cruise control, only automatic steering. If it wasn't for the interaction between one-pedal-driving causing significant braking if cruise control is disengaged, and the steering wheel nag causing many accidental disengagements, I would strongly argue for having both the brake and the steering wheel disengage all driver automation. Going the other direction, and having Autosteer, Enhanced Autopilot, or FSD ever automatically engaging immediately after the driver disengaged seems like a safety nightmare.

I really like the Autosteer feature, I believe the numbers, it's safer. The problem is my commute paths are all non-access restricted roads (not freeways), in these cases Autosteer restricts your speed to 5 MPH above the posted speed limit. I would really like to see the 5 MPH restriction above the posted speed limit on non-access restricted roads removed for speeds above 40 MPH (or made 15 MPH rather than 5 MPH). Most rural highways in my area (AZ), are posted at 45, but the prevailing speed is between 60 and 65 MPH. Driving 50 MPH on these roads makes you a significant traffic obstacle.

I really like the Autosteer feature, I believe the numbers, it's safer. The problem is my commute paths are all non-access restricted roads (not freeways), in these cases Autosteer restricts your speed to 5 MPH above the posted speed limit. I would really like to see the 5 MPH restriction above the posted speed limit on non-access restricted roads removed for speeds above 40 MPH (or made 15 MPH rather than 5 MPH). Most rural highways in my area (AZ), are posted at 45, but the prevailing speed is between 60 and 65 MPH. Driving 50 MPH on these roads makes you a significant traffic obstacle.
I believe that's solved with the EAP add-on. You can set the speed to 85MPH as the max.

Before I had FSDb, this was a huge pain for me. My Tesla misses most speed signs in my area, so while I'd be on a 100km/h posted highway, the car still thinks the limit is 50 or 70. I therefore wasn't able to use autosteer at all.

FSDb still misses the speed signs but at least now I can override higher than +10km/h....