Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in bad weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving in fog and the warning comes up that autopilot is not available because of the fog but what I found frustrating is that cruise control was also unavailable because of the fog. I always put cruise control on for local roads so I don't accidentally speed. Also, you would think a radar would come in handy in the fog.

I was driving in fog and the warning comes up that autopilot is not available because of the fog but what I found frustrating is that cruise control was also unavailable because of the fog. I always put cruise control on for local roads so I don't accidentally speed. Also, you would think a radar would come in handy in the fog.
It should work in fog for at least cruise control (not AP/lane keeping since that requires your camera). Off topic, but how do you like the performance of your non-P 85D?

That's interesting that the automatic driving options go away in fog. I too like to set slow cruise control in town to curb my lead foot problem. What about during a snow storm? I assume that auto drive goes away in a blinding snowstorm, especially when the road lines get covered with snow. Anyone had any experience with this?

it is a beta, it isn't perfect, learn to live within it's limitations

Sure but this is one of those things they probably need to tweak. Cruise control should not be dependent on the camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic, but how do you like the performance of your non-P 85D?

I love my 85D and I still get all the Tesla giggles with 0-60 in 4.2... Anything more is for those who are real speed junkies.

We drove through snow in the air on I-90 on Snoqualmie pass yesterday, and despite clear lane-markings, both AP and TACC were disabled. I thought it might have been due to snow adhered to the radar, but it took driving out of the snow and a half-hour of driving in rain before TACC and AP came back.

On a separate point relevant to the thread title, earlier in the day, we drove WA-26 (a very straight 2-lane) with almost complete snow cover. We had easily driven that stretch on AP before, with no issues at intersections, etc. I did not expect AP to work with invisible lane-markings, and watched as the car had no idea where the lane was for dozens of miles.

It did get me thinking, though. Elon has said they will have full autonomy in two years. What technology would allow even AP, much less full autonomy, in those conditions? I thought about how an attentive human does it, quite well. Of course, we look at the tracks of traffic which has gone before us, and estimate the lane boundaries. That road is not heavily travelled, especially in bad weather early in the morning, and there was very little, so following a vehicle in front could not be counted on.

A very sophisticated page understanding algorithm could "see" very low contrast tracks in the snow in principle, but we are clearly a long way from that now!

Look carefully at the road markers on each side as shown on the instrument cluster. If sketchy from rain and darkness
you will be taking a big gamble. The only good news about the highway on the outside lane is the buffer zone of the E-lane.

Darkness and rain are a big NO for AP, I learned it 3 nights ago.

I'm not sure how well it would work now after driving (not actually using it) today in the icy/snowy weather we are having in Chicago. The toy car has also become annoying/worthless to look at. In just driving down a regular street, with built up few inches or less of snow, the sensors were all just flashing grey/yellow like crazy around the car the whole time - sensing that slush on the roads that is raised a bit versus i think real cars or anything.

TACC or Distronic Plus as MBZ calls it, did not work for me in blinding rain on my 2014 MBZ. I was relying on it on a trip home from Dallas one night as I couldn't see a thing, when the car basically told me it couldn't see either. So this is not unique to Tesla. Even the best cameras and sensors will not work if impeded by inclement weather.