Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in strong/gusty crosswinds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AutoPilot worked GREAT on the round trip from SoCal to Las Vegas 2 weeks ago in gusty 20 to 40 mph winds. Glad I didn't unplug from the Barstow supercharger when our Tesla display and iOS app said we had enough power to get to our next destination. Even adding an additional 40 miles more than Tesla's Navigation calculated was barely enough to compensate for the additional energy loss from the strong headwind. To make it between the Barstow CA and Primm,NV Superchargers I used AutoPilot to "draft" a Mercedes Sprinter van doing 75 mph for 50+ miles by setting the vehicle following spacing to "1". AutoPilot worked prefectly! I also lowed our air suspension to Low to reduce drag and enabled Range Mode. All these adjustments increased our estimated battery remaining at our Primm NV destination from 16% and declining when we first left Barstow to 22% and increasing when we got to Primm.

Luckily we arrived before a nasty evening dust storm hit Primm, NV (a.k.a. "Stateline") while we Supercharged. Visibility reduced to 1/10 mile and even rained some too... Think brown drops on our Pearl White P85D. Yucky