Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot keeps want me to switch to the passing lane!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far I've driven over 700 miles (mostly interstate using Nav on autopilot) this weekend traveling to see family members. It has generally worked very well, but for some reason, it keeps asking me to confirm a switch from the right to the left lane for no apparent reason such as a slower car ahead and even when there is a car approaching in my blind spot. Sometimes it coincides with an entrance ramp, but never any traffic attempting to merge. If I ignore the request it gets very insistent. Sometimes I acknowledge the change and then it almost immediately moves me back into the lane. There is nothing in the navigation route indicating a future need for a lane change. Anyone else experiencing this?

GLM

You must be Mad Max! :eek:
Try Customize NoA and change your Speed Based Lane Change to Mild (aka Turtle j/k).

Also if you have an early version SW, because your car is new, the "bug" is usually fixed by the following update.

So far I've driven over 700 miles (mostly interstate using Nav on autopilot) this weekend traveling to see family members. It has generally worked very well, but for some reason, it keeps asking me to confirm a switch from the right to the left lane for no apparent reason such as a slower car ahead and even when there is a car approaching in my blind spot. Sometimes it coincides with an entrance ramp, but never any traffic attempting to merge. If I ignore the request it gets very insistent. Sometimes I acknowledge the change and then it almost immediately moves me back into the lane. There is nothing in the navigation route indicating a future need for a lane change. Anyone else experiencing this?

GLM

What RoBoRaT said and/or dial your cruise speed set point lower. It is lane changing left to go around "slower" traffic, as defined by whatever you set your target speed at.

As the OP said, this happens when there are no cars ahead of you. Foreign to the California drivers, but those of us in the Midwest can do that; be on the highway and not have another car within a mile of you.

I don’t activate NOA ever because of this long-standing bug. Maybe not “ever”, because I try it out every 3 months to see if Tesla has fixed it. You can be in the outside/slow lane of the highway on an empty stretch of highway (literally not another car within a mile of you) and it wants to shift in the inside/passing lane. I believe it has something to do with approaching a highway exit ramp and how they have entered the exit ramp into the database. I generally see this on 2-lane divided highways between cities. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it on 3-lane or wider highways inside cities. It acts like it needs to shift into the inside lane because the outside lane is an exit-only lane. This is particularly annoying when you have “no confirmation lane changes active”, so I also have that option disabled and only try it out once every 9 months or so.

In both cases of trying out those features, they generally “fail” (encounter this bug) within 10 minutes of me activating them, so I turn them off again and wait for Tesla to fix them. I’ve personally given up on reporting this as a bug to Tesla (voice command: bug report ...) after reporting it a dozen times when I noticed it when NOA was first released.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
As the OP said, this happens when there are no cars ahead of you. Foreign to the California drivers, but those of us in the Midwest can do that; be on the highway and not have another car within a mile of you.

I don’t activate NOA ever because of this long-standing bug. Maybe not “ever”, because I try it out every 3 months to see if Tesla has fixed it. You can be in the outside/slow lane of the highway on an empty stretch of highway (literally not another car within a mile of you) and it wants to shift in the inside/passing lane. I believe it has something to do with approaching a highway exit ramp and how they have entered the exit ramp into the database. I generally see this on 2-lane divided highways between cities. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it on 3-lane or wider highways inside cities. It acts like it needs to shift into the inside lane because the outside lane is an exit-only lane. This is particularly annoying when you have “no confirmation lane changes active”, so I also have that option disabled and only try it out once every 9 months or so.

In both cases of trying out those features, they generally “fail” (encounter this bug) within 10 minutes of me activating them, so I turn them off again and wait for Tesla to fix them. I’ve personally given up on reporting this as a bug to Tesla (voice command: bug report ...) after reporting it a dozen times when I noticed it when NOA was first released.

Thanks. That was very helpful.

GLM

I didn't see it mentioned, but you should make a distinction between the suggestion for "passing slower traffic" and "lane change to follow route". The car has two different notifications for suggested lane changes. I get the latter on a particular drive that runs 14 miles to my exit without any interruptions. This isn't an isolated instant, just the most egregious example. It doesn't happen often enough for me to disable the feature, but definitely often enough to be annoying. And the fact that you can't dismiss it is absolutely obnoxious.

I don't think I've ever seen the "passing slower traffic" notification without there actually being a slower car ahead of me. On the other hand yes it's a bit brain dead in the sense that it will suggest a lane change when 1) there's no room and 2) it won't accelerate nearly fast enough to get into the other lane even on "MAD MAX" setting. But I find I can reliably dismiss these at least (it won't keep nagging me once I've dismissed it).