Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot not available/ auto headlights won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys. I have an issue with my M3 rwd EAP.

For the past couple days. Autopilot is never available (TACC or auto steer) regardless of how visible the lanes are. Flicking the stalk down once or twice and I get the message “cruise is not available”. Driving conditions are similar to times when cruise would work.

Now I noticed that, at the same time, my headlights will be on when set to AUTO. In the brightest of daylight. The headlights will be on. Changing the light settings manually operates normally.

I suspect i have something wrong with my camera/light sensor assembly in the front windshield Shining a flashlight into the light sensor at the top does not shut off the auto lights either.

Has anyone seen this before? I have not called a service center yet

Reactions: wesley888
Update: gave the car a wash and really gave the light sensor on the windshield a good clean. Did a reset as well and it seems to be working now. Headlights auto turn on and off with light levels. And autopilot works now. I don’t know if the fixes above did it or I intermittently have a problem. If It does happen again the I will report bug to tesla

Reactions: alfadur
Sadly, I dont think that makes a difference. Others that have this issue is really random, so hard to reproduce, but the issues are nearly identical. When I read your post, it almost makes me think im reading my own post!

I picked up my AWD 3 on Thursday. TACC and autopilot worked this AM, however it stopped working this afternoon. I stopped, turned it off, restarted on a well marked interstate and it still is not working. I called the Indy service center and reported the problem. They indicated it could be a software issue. I will wash it today and attempt again and will let you know.

• Informative
Reactions: MusQueTear
Report the bug and definitely follow up with the service center. Seems like more and more are experiencing these AP and headlights issues. Worst thing is that when it bugs out, I’m pretty sure you lose all other active safety features, Lane keep, auto emergency braking etc.

Report the bug and definitely follow up with the service center. Seems like more and more are experiencing these AP and headlights issues. Worst thing is that when it bugs out, I’m pretty sure you lose all other active safety features, Lane keep, auto emergency braking etc.
I believe you still have blind spot detection because that uses the side cameras. Which would further prove that it inhibits operation of any feature that uses the front camera (lane keep, emergency braking, vehicle detection around vehocle)

I believe you still have blind spot detection because that uses the side cameras. Which would further prove that it inhibits operation of any feature that uses the front camera (lane keep, emergency braking, vehicle detection around vehocle)
I understand that the side cameras won’t be activated until FSD. What you’re still seeing even when AP is not working are the bumpers ultrasonic sensors.

I reset the screen and washed my M3 really well and attempted to engage the adaptive cruise with no luck. I am hoping this will be resolved after the holiday.
Unfortunately not surprised. This issue has deeper roots. Did all of you have EAP turned ok from the factory? I paid for it and it was on my window sticker but Tesla never activated it. I had to call a couple hundred miles later and it was pushed over the air. Wondering if that’s causing the bugginess.

Picked up 3LRD on Friday, tested yesterday, TACC working I am able to set speed, cruise, adjust speed using the scroll wheel. Autosteer does not work, no grey steering icon, no options under the control menu in autopilot. Hopefully, an update will fix this before my upcoming road trip, I might just have to steer myself! haha

Picked up 3LRD on Friday, tested yesterday, TACC working I am able to set speed, cruise, adjust speed using the scroll wheel. Autosteer does not work, no grey steering icon, no options under the control menu in autopilot. Hopefully, an update will fix this before my upcoming road trip, I might just have to steer myself! haha
How many miles do have you driven? Sounds like Tesla forgot to put EAP on your car too. Did you pay for the option? Let us know how the over the air update goes. When I did this with a Tesla tech on the phone, I got a few cruise control errors on the screen that he said was normal. Now I wonder...

How many miles do have you driven? Sounds like Tesla forgot to put EAP on your car too. Did you pay for the option? Let us know how the over the air update goes. When I did this with a Tesla tech on the phone, I got a few cruise control errors on the screen that he said was normal. Now I wonder...

I have driven 179 miles since delivery on Friday, I drove it again an hour ago, no EAP only cruise control and yup I paid for it. It's listed in my configuration.

My AP on my 4-days-old model 3 stopped working last night. I have been using Autopilot for the last few days covering over 300 miles in Autopilot. The car is super clean and weather is sunny. Lines are clear but like many have reported, "Cruise is not available”. I've tried washing, rebooting, hard rebooting, powering off, sleeping, but none worked. I've booked an appointment with the service center, but the earliest is 9 days out. Will just have to wait.

I haven't had issues with Autopilot, but I did have the problem with the automatic headlights a couple of times. For some reason the headlights turn on (or stay on after I leave my garage) in broad daylight. When I set them to "off" and then back to "auto", everthing works fine again, which makes me think this is a software bug.

Update: this concern definitely is intermittent. In my experience. The issue is happening in day time and works at night. Drove to Modesto yesterday in the daytime without EAP. But as soon as it got dark on the way home. EAP starts working again. Same thing happened on Friday. Will call the SC tomorrow

Last edited:
My AP on my 4-days-old model 3 stopped working last night. I have been using Autopilot for the last few days covering over 300 miles in Autopilot. The car is super clean and weather is sunny. Lines are clear but like many have reported, "Cruise is not available”. I've tried washing, rebooting, hard rebooting, powering off, sleeping, but none worked. I've booked an appointment with the service center, but the earliest is 9 days out. Will just have to wait.

Update: after the car sleeping in the garage for a day, EAP is back...