Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot not available post 2022.40.4.1 Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had recent issues with Autopilot being unavailable? We have a 2020 MY with FSD on 2022.40.4.1. Tried soft reboot, recalibrating cameras, turning sentry mode off and letting MY go to sleep. Still unable to start autopilot/cruise control. Repeator cameras seem to be working ( come on with turn signal and Sentry). Any suggestions?

Has anyone had recent issues with Autopilot being unavailable? We have a 2020 MY with FSD on 2022.40.4.1. Tried soft reboot, recalibrating cameras, turning sentry mode off and letting MY go to sleep. Still unable to start autopilot/cruise control. Repeator cameras seem to be working ( come on with turn signal and Sentry). Any suggestions?
Same issue here. Update was installed in the evening. Next morning - no cruise control and no autosteer. Everything else - all the cameras and visualization works as usual. Including lane keep.
2022 M3.

In addition to the troubleshooting mentioned by the OP, I removed the USB, shut down the car and waited 2 minutes to reset it, tried without USB - no luck. Inserted USB stick, formatted it, no luck.
I guess time for a service visit.
Discouraging, given that the car is only 2.5 months old.

Update: I usually always plug the car. But yesterday I did not. It went to sleep and I diddd not wake it all night and most of the day toay. Sentry was disabled.
When I had to drive this evening, autopilot came back! I dis not do anything.

I noticed abnormally long delay when screen woke up. I then checked the events and they were all cleared. Dome lights were set to off (I did not change it from Auto!).

But now I have another problem I did not have yesterday - passenger's mirror does not close automatically. It kind of hits an invisible barrier and rolls down a bit somewhere mid-way. Consistently. The only way to close it is to push and hold the switch to force it closed....

Update: I usually always plug the car. But yesterday I did not. It went to sleep and I diddd not wake it all night and most of the day toay. Sentry was disabled.
When I had to drive this evening, autopilot came back! I dis not do anything.

I noticed abnormally long delay when screen woke up. I then checked the events and they were all cleared. Dome lights were set to off (I did not change it from Auto!).

But now I have another problem I did not have yesterday - passenger's mirror does not close automatically. It kind of hits an invisible barrier and rolls down a bit somewhere mid-way. Consistently. The only way to close it is to push and hold the switch to force it closed....
Sorry not the mirror, passenger side window is not rolling up automatically.

Weird, but successful, advice from Tesla for similar problem on a Model 3.

Open all four doors, then close them.

Update#2. After another sleep all problems were magically gone. I literally did nothing besides letting M3 to sleep.

Came to Tesla service today to have winter tires installed, wanted to show them the window that does not work properly - and it worked just fine!

Scary.

I also have no cruise or autopilot available some time after installing this update. I’m letting it sleep unplugged now, hopefully that fixes it.
Leaving it off (via Shut down car button) and unplugged for 2+ hours did nothing. Following the service manual's instructions for disconnecting the low voltage battery and first responder loop for 5 minutes also didn't help. Reinstalling the update now, if that doesn't work it looks like I'll have to do a service request.

Service mode shows green for all sensors.

Last edited:
Just updated to 2022.40.4.1 overnight and this morning my phone app said I had to give access (via the car)to get mobile app access. Ok no big deal. Went to my car this morning and noticed it charged to 90% (I have it set to 80). Then notice ALL settings and profiles gone. Basically factory reset itself after the update somehow. Had to sign into my Tesla account in the car yet no profiles were on there. I have to re-calibrate to use autopilot and adjust all my settings again.

• Informative
Reactions: AtomMoose
Adding myself to the list of recent users experiencing this issue. 2022 Model 3 RWD. Installed 2022.40.4.1 update as soon as it was pushed to me. As of yesterday night, autopilot is not working. Have already attempted restarting the car, hard resetting the car, reformatting the USB, recalibrating the cameras twice. Attempting to put the car in a deep sleep unplugged / uncharged tonight to see if it resolves the issue.

Cruise control (and of course autopilot) unavailable after update last night along with windshield wiper turning on when there's no rain/dirt on the windshield. Research for possible fixes and the 'powering off car, turning off sentry mode and taking out USB' worked. 2018 Model S 100D.

Adding myself to the list of recent users experiencing this issue. 2022 Model 3 RWD. Installed 2022.40.4.1 update as soon as it was pushed to me. As of yesterday night, autopilot is not working. Have already attempted restarting the car, hard resetting the car, reformatting the USB, recalibrating the cameras twice. Attempting to put the car in a deep sleep unplugged / uncharged tonight to see if it resolves the issue.
UPDATE: Put the car in deep sleep last night and attempted to use AP this morning. No success with this method.

Reinstalled 2022.40.4.1 update, took my USB out and back in, open/closed all my doors, trunk, and frunk. After doing these, finally got my AP to work again