Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - positioning in lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's no longer true these days. Now the car brakes so that it can take the durve without exceeding the UN standards for lateral acceleration (it's very conservative, but will keep autosteer engaged if you apply a limited amount of accelerator pedal, although if you push it too hard and force it to exceed the lateral acceleration limits it will indeed first warn you autosteer is limited and then if you push it even harder disengage autosteer).

That was a temporary and very stupid hack that lasted only a few months...

Likewise, its behaviour with respect to the five second limit for making lane changes also has changed. At first, the five second would start to tick when you indicated you wanted a lane change, which meant lane changes would be aborted very often just before the car was fully committed to go to the new lane.

Now the clock starts ticking when the car acts on your instruction to change lanes, and they almost never fail (unless it really detects some danger, usually an idiot trying to pass you on the right just when you are trying to move right).
Thank you for the updated information! That's what I get for not reading in the last two weeks. ;)

On my commute this morning I watched how the car reacted very closely. I'm actually starting to think that EAP does take into account the proximity of vehicles (maybe large ones only?) in the lane next to you which is my preference.

I disagree. You are safer edging closer to the honda next to you than the semi on the other side.

If for no other reason than weight differential if you collide with a Honda traveling the same direction vs a semi coming towards you.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: a comfortable drive. We all know the highways in many places in the U.S. aren't in the best shape. The worst part of each lane, where the pavement is the most broken, is when the tires are following the paths of countless other cars and (especially) trucks. By keeping the Tesla absolutely centered the ride is much rougher than if one drives just a few inches to the left or right.

If I'm driving myself I make these slight adjustments almost automatically only moving to a new position within the lane when passing, or being passed by, other vehicles.

It seems like making a granular adjustment of lane position by the driver should be possible to achieve; sort of like a trim setting in an airplane.

Reactions: KenC
I like how BMW keeps the lane - you can adjust somewhat and if you release a wheel it goes back to the center of the line. If you move to another lane - it will still catch it and keep it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: a comfortable drive. We all know the highways in many places in the U.S. aren't in the best shape. The worst part of each lane, where the pavement is the most broken, is when the tires are following the paths of countless other cars and (especially) trucks. By keeping the Tesla absolutely centered the ride is much rougher than if one drives just a few inches to the left or right.

If I'm driving myself I make these slight adjustments almost automatically only moving to a new position within the lane when passing, or being passed by, other vehicles.

It seems like making a granular adjustment of lane position by the driver should be possible to achieve; sort of like a trim setting in an airplane.
There was a suggestion thread, and that was my suggestion. Would be nice to adjust placement in the lane by up to a foot, for two reasons: one, to avoid potholes in Spring; and two, for lane splitting motorcycles. And, of course, when in an outside lane, I like to drive closer to the outside, leaving more room for vehicles in the lane next to me.

There was a suggestion thread, and that was my suggestion. Would be nice to adjust placement in the lane by up to a foot, for two reasons: one, to avoid potholes in Spring; and two, for lane splitting motorcycles. And, of course, when in an outside lane, I like to drive closer to the outside, leaving more room for vehicles in the lane next to me.
Exactly.

Here in the desert, the heat softens the road to the point that trucks form trenches in the pavement. IMO, one of the reasons there are so many “left lane bandits” here is that people hang out in the left lane because of the trenches in the right lane.

Having the ability to adjust where in the lane the car tracks would be great. I also like to change lane position for when I’m passing someone, when someone is passing me, and to give trucks more room. I also like to position my car so that I can always see the mirrors of the truck in front of me. If I can see his mirrors, he can see me.

Im sure that programming that kinda thing is possible, but wow... it would be a lot of work. Never hurts to dream though.

Having the ability to adjust where in the lane the car tracks would be great. I also like to change lane position for when I’m passing someone, when someone is passing me, and to give trucks more room.
Im sure that programming that kinda thing is possible, but wow... it would be a lot of work. Never hurts to dream though.

Well, actually I am seeing some of this already. My wife and I were talking about this just 3 days ago on our 450 mile round trip down to the Tesla Fremont plant and back. We noticed that more often than not, the car would move over to the left about a foot when passing a big truck and then re-center in the lane after passing it. Sounds like you haven't noticed that yet ?

Well, actually I am seeing some of this already. My wife and I were talking about this just 3 days ago on our 450 mile round trip down to the Tesla Fremont plant and back. We noticed that more often than not, the car would move over to the left about a foot when passing a big truck and then re-center in the lane after passing it. Sounds like you haven't noticed that yet ?
Nope, not yet, but it has been a few months since I’ve driven on the freeway on AP. Have to go try it out!