Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot question for owners of both Model X and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently traded in my model 3 for a model x. Since owning the model x, I have been put into autopilot jail multiple times (Autopilot unavailable for the remainder of the trip), for missing the initial nag warning at the bottom of the screen, which has never happened before previously in my model 3. This is in spite of always tugging on the wheel once the 2nd warning comes up with an audible chime.

What I believe is happening is that if I remember correctly, the model 3 gives an audible warning with blue lights on the screen early on where as the initial warning for the model x is silent and once an audible tone is given, it's apparently already 1 strike? Is anyone who drives both models able to confirm/deny this? And to add to that, if this is the case, is there any way to add or increase the warning chime volume for the initial nag in the model x?

So I recently traded in my model 3 for a model x. Since owning the model x, I have been put into autopilot jail multiple times (Autopilot unavailable for the remainder of the trip), for missing the initial nag warning at the bottom of the screen, which has never happened before previously in my model 3. This is in spite of always tugging on the wheel once the 2nd warning comes up with an audible chime.

What I believe is happening is that if I remember correctly, the model 3 gives an audible warning with blue lights on the screen early on where as the initial warning for the model x is silent and once an audible tone is given, it's apparently already 1 strike? Is anyone who drives both models able to confirm/deny this? And to add to that, if this is the case, is there any way to add or increase the warning chime volume for the initial nag in the model x?

The X and the 3 are the same, except the blue on top in the 3, is a flashing white ring around the IC in the X. In both cars an audible Chime is a Strike. You are allowed two I think. The steering dynamics are different enough between the two, that I m constantly dropping out of autosteer on the 3. I generally drive the X.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I have both X and 3 and drive both regularly. The nag is the same audibly, but the big difference is that you’ve gotten used to seeing the pulsating light out of the corner of your eye in the 3, and in the X it is only in the dash display and a LOT more subtle. Also, you might be taking more liberties with the sound volume, given the awesomeness of the X’s system. One more thing: if you’re listening to music and get an audio nag, on the 3 it lowers the volume significantly. On the X, not so much. You may not have heard it.

Are you in ‘Joe Mode‘ presently?

I have both X and 3 and drive both regularly. The nag is the same audibly, but the big difference is that you’ve gotten used to seeing the pulsating light out of the corner of your eye in the 3, and in the X it is only in the dash display and a LOT more subtle. Also, you might be taking more liberties with the sound volume, given the awesomeness of the X’s system. One more thing: if you’re listening to music and get an audio nag, on the 3 it lowers the volume significantly. On the X, not so much. You may not have heard it.

I think this answer my have hit the nail on the head. I do recall the 3 blue visual warning being very eye-catching while the X is definitely much smaller and less noticeable. I bet this is what is tripping me up.

Are you in ‘Joe Mode‘ presently?

I'm not, but actually had to go check. Good thought.

Reactions: gaspi101
I think this answer my have hit the nail on the head. I do recall the 3 blue visual warning being very eye-catching while the X is definitely much smaller and less noticeable. I bet this is what is tripping me up.

I'm not, but actually had to go check. Good thought.
The first few drives in my X, after trading in my 3 in May, I got put in AP Jail because the visual warning wasn’t eye-catching enough. Seems like I’ve read it used to be more robust on the X and S. I think I’ve adapted to it because I went on a 1200 mile trip a couple of weeks ago (98% of it on AP) and never once got kicked off.

Agree. Just like anything else, you simply have to get accustomed to the visual signals on the X. I've started catching the first notification at the bottom of the drivers screen now...before the blinking/flashing white bar at the top, and after being put in jail once, I think I've never let that happen again.:D