Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot resume speed after changing lanes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the basic Autopilot feature only, no FSD. While driving on Autopilot, and changing lanes the car automatically will switch to adaptive cruise. When I re-enable Autopilot (from adaptive cruise) it sometimes will reset the speed, other times it resumes the previous speed. Does anyone know what the contributing factor here is? It seems completely random to me. This is especially bad when the car has the wrong speed limit on the freeway. Cruising at 75, posted speed 70, car thinks its 55, switch lanes and re-enable Autopilot car immediately decelerates to 55. Now, if it always did that, I get it. But its like a gamble, 50/50 one way or the other, with no obvious differences. Sometimes it resumes at 75, others I have to quickly reset back to 75 so cars behind don't rear end me. The car is a 2021 Model Y, with latest software, if that makes any difference.

Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed lets you choose whether Autopilot engages at your current speed or speed limit plus offset. If it's currently set to speed limit, try changing it to current speed.

I would have expected this setting to only matter if TACC isn't already active, but it's worth a try.

Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed lets you choose whether Autopilot engages at your current speed or speed limit plus offset. If it's currently set to speed limit, try changing it to current speed.

I would have expected this setting to only matter if TACC isn't already active, but it's worth a try.
Thanks, I tried that setting and it does keep the existing speed from a few test tries. I also discovered (from reading manual), that if you hold the double tap on the second tap it resets the speed. I also tried this today and it indeed does reset the speed (if set to speed limit). Wondering if maybe I was just holding that second tap a little too long, which caused the speed to reset. I will be a little more attentive on my next trip and see if quicker taps keeps the speed.

I've found that it uses your desired speedlimit+offset OR your current speed, whichever one is higher. In other words it should never slow down after you re-activate, only speed up :)
Unfortunately I am seeing it drop from 75 to 60 etc... I am wondering if I am just tapping the column too long/slow or something. I did figure out if I hold it down too long it does reset the speed. Problem is, usually I just do 2 quick taps. We just did a 1000 mile round trip, and seems like the car had the wrong speed limit about 75% of the time. 55 vs 70, so was constantly having to reset the speed quickly once I felt it starting to slow. As of now I do believe its something I am doing, just need to figure out what. I also just figured out today that I only need to press the lever a little, before I was pushing further down, like when putting it into drive etc. So as of now, I am thinking that was the issue, but need to drive more to know for sure.