Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot speed limit changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Perhaps it’s just me, but I find autosteer rather clunky. I don’t have FSD.

engaged with a double tap, it will steer and alter cruise speed up or down according to the speed limit where it changes at a GPS location.

Setting cruise alone with a single tap sets the speed limit in your present location and doesn’t alter it up or down.

where I struggle is making lane changes with autosteer set. Indicating disengages autosteer but leaves cruise on, that’s fine.
But what seems to happen is that when re-engaged, autosteer doesn’t take control of speed limits again. Speed stays put as it would on cruise alone.
It seems that only cancelling cruise and double tapping autosteer is the only way back.

have I missed something?

I’m not sure about your behaviour, but I have a Model 3 with FSD. The speed limit speed is set when you engage autosteer, like you said, but the speed never goes higher than the highest speed set. It will go down and then back up, but not higher than the speed you have set. You can reset the speed to the current speed limit (+/- relative how you have set it in settings) by taping or double tapping the speed limit icon on the screen.

I’m not sure about your behaviour, but I have a Model 3 with FSD. The speed limit speed is set when you engage autosteer, like you said, but the speed never goes higher than the highest speed set. It will go down and then back up, but not higher than the speed you have set. You can reset the speed to the current speed limit (+/- relative how you have set it in settings) by taping or double tapping the speed limit icon on the screen.
It works fine until I indicate. When I double tap back on, it’s as though cruise has taken over and the current speed doesn’t alter up or down.
I assumed re-engaging autosteer would make it control. Maybe it’s a way of persuading me to buy FSD!

Mine is set similar and sometimes changes automatically. Interesting that it might only go down say to 30 from 60 and then back up to 60 but not visa versa. I feel a test coming on but it wont be until 11pm. Interestingly it seems less functional after the recent 2020.16 update. I also feel the hands on nagging is quicker.

My car does not alter to the speed limit if set.

If i drive along a road thats 60 and set TACC/Auto Steer it sets itself and drives at 60, but then if the road speed limit changes to 50 my car just stays at 60 so i have to manually adjust it.

2 Observations i have noticed for this to change automatically:

1 - Say you were on a road and your car is set at 60 and you are following a car infront, and the car infront then slows to 50 or slightly lower to a new speed limit of 50. My car then also slows adjust speed to follow the car infront and then then sets itself at 50 after the road limit speed change and wont go backup to 60 if clear infront.

2 - Same with a slightly sharp bend in the road. The car slows (the M3 seems to be getting better at this) for the bend and the speed limit changes to a lower speed at the same time on this bend, the car will stay at the new speed limit if the car speed is the same or lower.

Maybe it’s just circumstances or maybe it’s a change with 2020.16 but I found this morning that taking the sharp bend near my home in a 60 limit in autosteer, the car dropped to 50. I always take it at 60 in manual and so had autosteer previously.

I can understand TACC and autosteer being two separate entities, but they do act differently if TACC is engaged first and then autosteer is engaged separately.

the acid test is to go straight into autosteer in a 30 limit just before a 40 limit.
I find My speed increases from 30 to 40 and if the limit drops back to 30, so does my speed. If autosteer is disengaged and re-engaged on the same piece of road, the speed won’t alter automatically.

I believe that there are several things going on which are not always possible to distinguish between.
  • Speed limits
  • TACC awareness of other vehicles
  • Corner speeds
  • Intersection speeds
  • Fleet speed
Speed limit - I have never seen my car adhere to a speed limit, unless at least one of the others may have been at work
TACC - most of the time it is obvious the cause of a speed adjustment, but not always
Corner speed - self evident, but very hit and miss - possibly tied to fleet speed
Intersection speed - when approaching, or leaving some intersections, the car can stop (never been brave enough to actually witness that), slow or speed up - I believe this is linked to fleet speed - reason, I have seen TACC slow for an intersection (between M25 clockwise and M3 southbound), but maintain a speed > limit. But it may just have been another vehicle/TACC
Fleet speed - a speed gathered from a number of vehicles possibly used for several purposes

Until speed adjustments and limits become predictable and consistent, I'm firmly in the DIY camp.

That's what FSD is for :)

Haha nice try! but i'm not totaly sure that is worth £5.8k soon to be £6.8k to avoid double tapping after changing lanes.
Though I am now worried I am going to wear a shiny patch on top of the gear selector I'm doing it that often.
Now you going to tell me Tesla charge £7k for a replacement gear selector! lol

I said I would check it out last night. Speed definately went from 50 to 40 and back up to 50 with no intervention from me. I think if there is any intervention, maybe even a nag to put hands on steering it may not make the change. Could not find a visa versa to check i will try setting in 40 tomorrow.

Reading through the posts I think I can see what's going on - if your car is anything like mine it can behave differently on different days with exactly the same inputs and exactly the same roads. Something that's supposed to be impossible with computers! Not just speed settings, but all sorts of things can behave differently one day to the next. Undocumented updates are only one reason.

Very interested in this thread - I do not have FSD and have my speed limit set to +5 relative. My car does not change target speed when it moves into a new speed limit zone and I wish it did..

Mine is non FSD too, obvs with the nightmare we are currently living through, I haven't used it a lot, but it definitely adjusts speed on motorway intersections, say where you are moving from M25 to another motorway, the speed always reduces automatically in my limited experience.
The worrying thing is it tends not to adjust back to 70mph when you re-enter the motorway national speed limit, so you're stuck doing 40-50mph with everybody flying past you. However, touch the 70mph symbol on the screen and it goes back up.

• Helpful
Reactions: philgods