Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I read a recent update (after the initial lower limit when cars went 100% cameras) allowed Autopilot to remain engaged at higher speeds. Today it kicked off a couple of times, I believe, at 80 MPH.
I don't usually travel very fast, but it's easy to push beyond 80 on the highway.
Is that the limit for Autopilot?
If not, is there a setting to adjust?
Thanks!

Thanks!
Nothing more annoying than getting the dreaded red steering wheel on a long drive.
Is that the permanent limit, or is it anticipated that it will be increased as the cars log more miles (hopefully) successfully.

Thanks!
Nothing more annoying than getting the dreaded red steering wheel on a long drive.
Is that the permanent limit, or is it anticipated that it will be increased as the cars log more miles (hopefully) successfully.

Back in May they said they'd be removing all the vision-only restrictions "in the weeks ahead"

They're a bit...behind...on that, but AFAIK the plan is still to eventually remove them entirely eventually.

Reactions: haroldo
I've been put in the 'penalty box' on almost every highway trip I have taken. I have a very light touch on the steering wheel even in non AP cars so I get scolded and restricted to TACC quite a bit. Tesla needs to change the steering wheel sensitivity so one doesn't need to engage in a wrestling match with the wheel during FSD.
One of the more annoying characteristics of the car IMO.

The same thing happens if your ignore the warnings to keep your hands on the wheel for too long
Honestly, I'd prefer a 24 hour lock out. Drivers get a false sense of security with autopilot, and some, foolishly think they don't need to hold the wheel. Recipe for disaster. If holding the wheel is too taxing for a driver, they should just call an Uber
Tesla needs to change the steering wheel sensitivity so one doesn't need to engage in a wrestling match with the wheel during FSD.
The car needs to know you're paying attention, but the same can be accomplished by twisting the scroll wheels up, or down, one notch.
No need to play with the wheel.

You don't hear the beeps or see the blue flashing on the display?
Blue flashing is easy to miss, especially if you're one of those drivers that likes to look at the road ahead and not fixate on the screen.
Beeps are in controlled settings, so they might not be set. As it is, there are many beeps that I have no idea what they're for, so I prefer fewer beeps, since they just add to confusion.