Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Still in Beta? Edmund's Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair to Tesla, their TACC seems to be better than the TACC most other manufacturers offer and I'm guessing a big chunk of that cost is going towards getting Autosteer and auto lane change out of the beta stage.

Help, what is the trick to setting cruise control?
I want those that keeping saying - "beta.. beta.. beta" - in a shrill voice, to read this note a hundred times and bang their head against a wall.

Criticizing the safety aspects of EAP's beta features is fine, but I think they should explain the differences between the features that are still in beta, Autosteer and auto lane change, and the features that aren't, TACC, Autopark, and Summon...

At the top of the left-hand column of page 61 of the owner's manual dated March 6, 2018:

Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA feature.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That's pretty eye opening.

Edmunds criticism of Tesla charging $5,000 for a beta product that has serious safety concerns is a legitimate one.

The closest analogy I can come up with would be if a company were the first to introduce anti lock brakes.... charged customers a premium for them, they weren't safe in all situations, but they promised that they would eventually get them working.

I think if Tesla wants customers to Beta test for them, and pay for the privilege then they should charge a subscription fee (say $50 or $100 per month) until they work the bugs out... then discount the cost of the service for those customers who literally put their safety at risk in order for Tesla to gather the data needed to improve the product.

Yeah. Safety concerns. Let's take away a feature that the NHTSA has determined is 40% safer.

Good one. I have to assume you were joking:)

Reactions: EinSV
Serious question for those of you that are just fine having "beta" AP released to the public:
How many of you would let your grandparent/just-got-license kid/other no-so-hot driver (trying not to age discriminate) using AP alone without any qualms?

Looks like one of these Edmund's guys TRUSTS Supercruise more than Autopilot and states Supercruise is truly hands free while autopilot aint.

Very interesting. Cadillac's solution seems to be quite a bit more sophisticated than Autopilot. I like how it was even aware of the construction zone. And I guess that also answers the question what the interior camera in the Model 3 is intended for ...

Looks like one of these Edmund's guys TRUSTS Supercruise more than Autopilot and states Supercruise is truly hands free while autopilot aint.

I did some research mid last year when trying to decide if I wanted to get a Tesla or a Cadillac or a couple others. This video again reminds me how happy I am that I got a Tesla.

One of the main problems the guy had with with the model 3 has recently be solved with an OTA Software update. And for a road that Super Cruise can not even be used on.

Regarding the hands free argument. No matter which system you have to be in the DRIVERS SEAT and in control. The comment about the only car with true hands free is misleading. I can go hands free with my Tesla but I still have to take over if needed.

So let me ask a question here. For everyone that is hung up on the "Beta" label:

What criteria must AutoPilot meet to become "non-Beta" ? Remember, it's still a Level 2 system and therefore requires immediate driver attention and intervention in certain circumstances. There is no way for the system to allow a temporary driver distraction or for Tesla to assume liability, both of which are required for a Level 3 system.

So given that the system must remain Level 2, what criteria must it meet to become "non-Beta" ?

Reactions: Electroman
What criteria must AutoPilot meet to become "non-Beta" ?
Once you order your 7 layer burrito, with extra hot sauce, medium diet coke, your Tesla should be able to drive on its own to the drive-thru, tender the correct change, make sure your order is correct and get back home to your garage.

If it doesn't do any of these, it is 'beta.. beta.. beta.."

Serious question for those of you that are just fine having "beta" AP released to the public:
How many of you would let your grandparent/just-got-license kid/other no-so-hot driver (trying not to age discriminate) using AP alone without any qualms?

I would not want either to drive any car unless I were confident that they were a competent and responsible driver. Teen-age boys are notoriously reckless drivers. But if I were confident that they were a competent and responsible driver (i.e. if I were willing to let them drive at all) than I would rather they be in a Tesla Model 3 than a car without driver-assist safety features.

Does it have the same disclaimer Autosteer has?

Tesla Autopilot – A Cautionary Tale

It could be in beta and not require a higher level of vigilance like Autosteer does.

The warnings are different, but the effect is similar: These are beta features. They are for your convenience. They are not a substitute for remaining alert and in control at all times.

I don't remember seeing the big warning on the screen the first time I engaged autosteer, but my memory is not great. The warnings in the owner's manual are very explicit. The problem is that some folks seem to put more faith in the software in its current form than it deserves. I'm going to liken it to the difference between the cars of the 1960's and the cars of today. You were much more likely to get injured or killed in an accident in those old cars than you are in today's cars. But you can still get killed and you still need to drive safely. EAP (IMO) makes the car a little bit safer. Nobody would argue against padded dashboards and seat belts and air bags and anti-lock brakes on the grounds that in a safer car people will drive more recklessly. Somebody might, but for the rest of us these safety features are good. Same with EAP. Only a fool drives more recklessly just because the car is a little bit safer. For the rest of us, it's an improvement.

I do think that "autopilot" was a poor choice of names for the feature set. But I'm glad Tesla did not wait for FSD and released Level 2 once it was good enough to be a little bit safer than cars without.

At a wild guess, maybe the 90 mph limit on emergency braking is that above that it's going to fast to detect a crash in time. But in the U.S. there are no public roads where it's legal to go that fast, even allowing for a 5 mph leeway before cops stop you (depending on location). I know I'll never be driving that fast. And if you're on a track you probably do want the car using emergency braking.

What I cannot understand is why it only slows you down by 25 mph, rather than apply the brakes until a collision is no longer imminent, or until a low set speed is reached.
Probably enough time for you to engage the brake, but also enough for the car behind to slow if its a false alarm

I would not allow anyone to drive an autosteer car who has a cellphone addiction, regardless of age or relationship. If forced by gunpoint? The Cadillac system.

It would be like firing gun in the air in a crowded city. It is unlikely to hit someone statistically, but the outcome could be pretty tragic, and I would know that before pulling the trigger.

Once you order your 7 layer burrito, with extra hot sauce, medium diet coke, your Tesla should be able to drive on its own to the drive-thru, tender the correct change, make sure your order is correct and get back home to your garage.

I would love it if that were the case. :)

Although, truth be told, I'd rather a drone simply drop off the burrito onto my front porch. :D

Reactions: cizUK
Tesla took away autopilot? Or are you trying to argue, with no evidence, that autopilot is getting less safe with every revision?
Tesla no longer uses the AP system that was studied by the NHTSA. This is what you call "a fact" and facts often make up what people call "evidence".

Here are more facts:

1. NHTSA published a study on AP1, which is the MobileEye system. (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2016/INCLA-PE16007-7876.PDF)

2. Tesla removed the system studied in 1. (Mobileye Ends Partnership With Tesla - WSJ or -- if you prefer a different flavor -- Tesla Breakup With Mobileye Turns Ugly - Bloomberg)

3. Tesla replaced it with a different system, call it AP2. (All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware ...)

4. NHTSA has not published a study of the new system.

5. To assert that AP in current Teslas (i.e. AP2) is 40% "safer" relies on an association fallacy.

I accept chase quickpay. Slide into dm's, bb.

• Funny
Reactions: N5329K
Tesla no longer uses the AP system that was studied by the NHTSA. This is what you call "a fact" and facts often make up what people call "evidence".

Here are more facts:

1. NHTSA published a study on AP1, which is the MobileEye system. (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2016/INCLA-PE16007-7876.PDF)

2. Tesla removed the system studied in 1. (Mobileye Ends Partnership With Tesla - WSJ or -- if you prefer a different flavor -- Tesla Breakup With Mobileye Turns Ugly - Bloomberg)

3. Tesla replaced it with a different system, call it AP2. (All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware ...)

4. NHTSA has not published a study of the new system.

5. To assert that AP in current Teslas (i.e. AP2) is 40% "safer" relies on an association fallacy.

I accept chase quickpay. Slide into dm's, bb.
Umm. Sure. Tesla is constantly revising the system making it more unsafe.

Notice you gave no evidence the revisions are reducing the safety.