Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot stopping for traffic control on interstate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way to work this morning autopilot did something I haven't experienced before. I was driving on a four lane interstate with only a few other cars in sight; NOA active and the speed was set to 77 mph and autopilot suddenly displayed the "stopping for traffic control" message and started slowing down very quickly. It did this several times with NOA active, which I find very concerning. I drive this route to work regularly and have never had this issue before.

On another note, I noticed that lane changes seem to be much quicker with 2020.28.5. Autopilot used to hesitate when I would confirm a lane change and would then very slowly move into the adjacent lane. When switching lanes this morning I noticed it was much more responsive and changed lanes immediately after I confirmed and moved over much faster than it previously had.

I've seen the "stopping for traffic control" momentarily in a few situations. For example, the sign below can trigger it. The warning usually goes away.

Not on the freeway yet.

traffic-signal-symbol-sign-stop-ahead-signs-traffic-light-ahead-vector-id898757206

On a related note, no free launch, on surface streets Nicki has turned grandmotherly in slowing for everything, including cars normally parked on the side of the road. I WAS hoping they'd left NOA alone ...
I've noticed the issue with cars parked on the street as well. I recently got a collision warning for a car parked on the street that's been parking there since before I had the Tesla.

On my way to work this morning autopilot did something I haven't experienced before. I was driving on a four lane interstate with only a few other cars in sight; NOA active and the speed was set to 77 mph and autopilot suddenly displayed the "stopping for traffic control" message and started slowing down very quickly. It did this several times with NOA active, which I find very concerning. I drive this route to work regularly and have never had this issue before.

This has happened to at least one other member if I recall accurately. In his case, it was in an area where the freeway crossed over major junctions with 4-way stop lights. It seemed like the map data confused AP and it thought it needed to stop for one of those lights even though they were pretty much under the freeway.

How do you know this for fact?

Numerous folks- including those with root access to the code- have confirmed it. Bug reports stay local to the car- though a service center can access them remotely if you open a service ticket.

I recall being told by a customer service rep to use that function previously as well as forums on this site.

Yeah- customer service provides a lot of incorrect info unfortunately. Not a uniquely Tesla problem.

But think about it. There's over 1 million Teslas in the fleet. They're looking to add another 500k this year, maybe twice as many next.

It'd be impossible for an actual human, or any reasonably sized/priced team of humans, to review every time someone used that feature.

Same for me. There was one spot that I got off the Interstate and was moving thru a curve to a big access road and every day it would see the bridge line as a stop point. BUT...After a recent update it doesnt and sails right thru.

New Orleans has a Causeway bridge close to it. Longest continual bridge over water in the world, 23 miles. It has several humps to let boats go under and one drawbridge. On the drawbridge and one big hump if I am in the left lane, and start to go up, it suddenly freaks out and says take over and beeps loud. If I am in the right lane it navigates fine. Happens EVERY day. Only happens with traffic controls turned on, does not happen with traffic controls off. I report it daily to the bug report. Maybe one day they will figure that one out. I even made a video of it freaking out, just havent posted.

With HW3 on version 2020.28.5, I just took a long drive yesterday - windy roads through magnificent redwood forests, up and down oceanside mountains, on both unprotected highways and on full freeways, and quite a bit on small town streets. Gorgeous day for a 200 mile California drive.

OK, first of all, people who only have basic AP aren't seeing NOA FSD, which is quite well developed, and different from using basic AP, even on a freeway. That's where the display shows a centered blue line, not two lines on the sides of the car (that's basic AP). NOA's where you can say "navigate to XYZ" and it finds it and once on the freeway, it just gets you there, even through the most insane overpass mazes, that i'm (I confess) too nervous to handle smoothly in manual. So, Tesla, on that - Bravo.

So, anyway, I never had anything odd happen on the freeways in NOA mode. NOA performed excellently, with, as noted, faster and smarter lane changes. I've always used Mad Max lane change mode, but I'm considering dropping it down a notch, as it now DELIGHTS in changing lanes, like a bloody ballerina, which it does darned well. The precautionary "leaving passing lane" works great. So those full AP NOA parts of the journey were relaxing and fully 1st world.

Now. On basic AP, both on highways and streets, we can witness a lot of work in progress, moving towards greater autonomy. On streets there's an almost paranoid tone now, slowing down for all sorts of potential problems, which in turn creates a few annoying annoyances of its own. Personally I don't care, I don't eat Thai noodles while driving, I stay on top of the beast, and we get along just fine. It's smarter in so many ways that I don't get upset at its mistakes. And you probably don't want to spook it (or passengers) by yelling at it. But people who are new to a Tesla need to realize it takes a while to get good at operating a semi-autonomous vehicle that changes with every update. Or maybe for now only use AP where it's most predictable. Don't keep barreling into situations where you've seen it get confused only to see it do it again! Just tap out and then tap back into AP. It's there to serve, not fight with.

Even in full Manual I was impressed with how it warned me about all sorts of proximities. Like the big cop car SUV getting too close to me in a small town traffic jam.

IMHO, one of the most unpredictable areas at the moment is where say a 4 lane highway is driven in basic AP. It may even look like a freeway, but if there are intersections, it ain't. Then it's operating under "street" rules. I wasn't surprised to see the car occasionally slow down for ambiguously positioned lights at cross-roads, those elaborate construction warning blinky boos, home of a future stoplight, that kind of stuff. Just another thing to watch out for until the programmers and the neural soup gradually work it out.

Starting out for adventure yesterday I was expecting worse, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: