TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autopilot team size? How is it organized? Any guesses?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jul 30, 2017.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

To the engineers out there - anyone care to weigh in with a rough guess as to how many engineers Tesla has working on Autopilot at a given time? I assume there is some number past which adding people does not increase the rate of progress. I'm not thinking of support staff (ie the person who drives the car around a test track to gather data for cameras) - but actual engineers, team managers, computer scientist/research types etc.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Could this be a competitor's info?

Because the field is so hot right now, my guess for the number is quite small unless you are willing to lots of money.

3. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I think you're asking about what I'd call the core team for the AP software. I'd expect a small core team, around 3-9 engineers. That makes for efficient intra-team communication. Then there may be other teams that use their work to build related features. For example the engineer(s) working on AEB don't have to be on the core AP team. Nor do the engineer(s) working on the UI for AP.

I'd expect another core team for AP hardware, but either a bit smaller or perhaps not as specialized on AP work.

• Like x 1
  4. Tazman

Tazman Member

Used to be 8 for AP1. Not sure how many now.

5. D.E.

D.E. Member

I think there is one. And he's out a lot.

• Funny x 2