Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot through highway 17 to Santa Cruz!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have always been running over the top of that pass with an elevated heart rate, it's very twisty and turny. I just cannot get over turning on AP and suddenly the car is locked in the lane. Then I can relax and just watch for the car to make a mistake.

I've driven that road a thousand times, although I don't live in the area. Last time I was on it was about a year ago, with my dad driving. He spent most of the time on 17 quizzing me on how autopilot would handle this road, and other tesla info. He has (or rather had, I think he got refunded) 2 reservations for model 3's, for whichever of his family members decided to get one (which no-one did, much to his chagrin). I should mention that he was in the left lane, driving his BMW 535 like a bat out of hell at the time. Oh, and I should also mention that he was 89 at the time.

The first time I saw the red flash edits I thought you were taking incoming fire ;)

I've done the 17 pass in AP, even a year ago, but NOA is off there (as there are intersections). I think NOA drives better than AP all around. I'm always happier when NOA comes back on. I'm headed over 17 tomorrow, but my wife refuses to "film".

Highway 9 over the mountain is more of a challenge, though it now has maybe the best asphalt and markings I've ever encountered. Perfectly silent. It's like the car is floating. Some of the hairpins are still too much for AS.

Thanks for posting - my last time driving 17 was 20 years ago before I moved.

Another time my buddy visited CA from TX. He missed the exit for Los Gatos and ended up going through the mountains. First timer, lost, and one curve taken too quickly and he totaled his rental car (he and his wife were fine).

Reactions: israndy
I know this is an older thread -- but I do use Highway 17 for work on my Model 3 and I use almost all the time the AP. It works for the most part except for some pick ups who have no concept of a lane during the curves and at a couple places where the lanes are not properly marked due to construction. I noticed my Model 3 used to break suddenly near the top of the hill closer to those shops. It does not happen any more on those spots but it sporadically occurs at other places on 17.

I love that it drives like a car on rails these days as opposed to when it would threaten to hit the center divide before my early posts in this tread.

I don't love that it needs to be kicked to keep up with traffic, I often still give up and drive myself so I am not blocking traffic.

After having lived in San Jose for 25 years and made the run to Santa Cruz hundreds of times, I would prefer full control. “Blood Alley” got it’s name legitimately! At particular times, it’s a joy, in the right car. Otherwise, it’s hair-raising!

I know this is an older thread -- but I do use Highway 17 for work on my Model 3 and I use almost all the time the AP. It works for the most part except for some pick ups who have no concept of a lane during the curves and at a couple places where the lanes are not properly marked due to construction. I noticed my Model 3 used to break suddenly near the top of the hill closer to those shops. It does not happen any more on those spots but it sporadically occurs at other places on 17.
I have been running FSDb every day for 2 weeks or more now and use it literally every drive because it is that good lately. It does need a good few gentle presses of the accelerator to maintain speed correctly.

I set it at 55 or 60mph depending on the location of Hwy 17 and just accept that I am going to go slower and that is ok.

What isn't ok is slowing down to 42 MPH or less on dry roads, that is dangerous so I find myself gently coaxing the car to speed up through those curves to maybe 47-50 depending on location.

Overall it is still a win in my book, but certainly needs driver attention though less effort overall than driving like a caveman.