Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Weaves in lanes with tar road repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a section of interstate highway on which I travel every day that has long, vertical cracks in the asphalt that have been repaired by road crews with tar line inlays that run parallel to the line marker but are wavy . My model S, with auto pilot engaged, can't seem to decide whether to use the white lane marker or the long, wavy tar lines as a border. My car wants to continually weave back and forth as the computer is trying to decide whether to conform to the white line marker or the black tar line. This has gotten quite dangerous. Fortunately, I know where the bad sections are on my daily commute but I'm concerned that when traveling on unfamiliar highways , this problem may arise when I'm not expecting it. Have others experienced similar issues?

There is a section of interstate highway on which I travel every day that has long, vertical cracks in the asphalt that have been repaired by road crews with tar line inlays that run parallel to the line marker but are wavy . My model S, with auto pilot engaged, can't seem to decide whether to use the white lane marker or the long, wavy tar lines as a border. My car wants to continually weave back and forth as the computer is trying to decide whether to conform to the white line marker or the black tar line. This has gotten quite dangerous. Fortunately, I know where the bad sections are on my daily commute but I'm concerned that when traveling on unfamiliar highways , this problem may arise when I'm not expecting it. Have others experienced similar issues?

Does it happen to be on the 5 in LA area? Mine does the same. When it sees patches of repaired road that might be miscolored or have long lines showing where they refilled the road, the car will weave back and forth too.

there is a very simple fix, when on that part of the road turn off the AP!
the system is far from perfected and you've highlighted one of the system's flaws.
overall the AP is a pretty amazing feature, despite it's flaws, I think the AP is more of an interactive driving experience rather than an autopilot experience.

the system is far from perfected and you've highlighted one of the system's flaws.
overall the AP is a pretty amazing feature, despite it's flaws, I think the AP is more of an interactive driving experience rather than an autopilot experience.

Turning off the AP is great advice on my daily route when I know where the problems are. It's when I'm unaware of the tar lines, they suddenly appear out of nowhere and my car begins swerving next to 18 wheelers that has me spooked.

While driving yesterday, AP2 got confused on a road where there had been recent construction, and they hadn't completely erased the temporary lane lines. The software couldn't figure out which lines were correct, and unfortunately chose the temporary lines - which tried to run the car into barrier on the side of the road, where the temporary road was located.

Yep, definitely a problem. My AP2 sees black tar lines as lane dividers. It also sees the joint between two sections of asphalt as a lane dividing marker. My expectation is that this will continue to improve in future software releases, as more data trains the system. However, the latest release is overall much better!