Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot will be disabled for approximately one week?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I understand the new update, if you are kicked out of autopilot five times, autopilot remains disabled for one week. Is it five times during one drive, or five times in a week or once five disengagements are reached during any length in time?
The maximum number of AP jail is 1 per drive. You then have to start a drive number 2 to get kicked out the second time. Repeat for a total of 5 drives and 5 AP jails then you are all set for 1 week.

Since it doesn't specify how hurry I must get the 5 AP jails, it's possible to drag out one AP jail per month for 5 months then you'll be all set for another week.

It appears to be five times total over any length of time. But these are “forced disengagements” that count - as in you exceed the max speed limit on autosteer (used to be 90, now I think it’s 85) or repeatedly ignore the increasingly aggressive alerts to apply force to the wheel until autopilot disengages itself and starts to slow the car to a stop.

The new penalty system for inattentive drivers is in response to the NHTSA from the US.

Different parts in the world have different agencies in charge of traffic safety. If they have the same findings as the NHTSA, I suspect the penalty system would spread worldwide.

Yes. But still this doesn't answer the question really.. :) I mean, it might be easier for Tesla to simply push this update to entire fleet, even if it's not required in other countries. Or perhaps it is geolocked? So if US car drives to Canada will the penalty be removed?

Yes. But still this doesn't answer the question really.. :) I mean, it might be easier for Tesla to simply push this update to entire fleet, even if it's not required in other countries. Or perhaps it is geolocked? So if US car drives to Canada will the penalty be removed?
Tesla ADAS has always been geofenced.

In general:

North America
EU
Australia
China

Each region has its own features.

Auto Lane Change in North America is not the same as the EU...

Tesla has been trying to get approval for FSD in China, but so far, no luck.

You can buy FSD in EU but it's not the same as in North America because it has no Autosteer in the city.

The NHTSA didn't tell Tesla to penalize inattentive drivers for a week. It only tells Tesla needs to do something about collisions associated with inattentive drivers.

Tesla has a choice of making its technology better.

Or

Keep the collision technology the same and punish drivers instead.

Last edited:
Indeed. Believe me, after 8.5 years here I get the fanboy vibe and I probably shouldn't even get into this, but - if, in 2024, a brand new Tesla rolling off the line could deliver the level of driving automation performance that was promised for my first, 2015 Model S in numerous written materials and recorded presentations, then Tesla would not have to resort to these kinds of exasperating measures that penalize drivers in order to get their "crashes into stuff while on autopilot" frequency down to where NHTSA would leave them alone.

NHTSA didn't mandate any of the specific changes Tesla made in the recall software update. Tesla was and always has been free to comply by delivering FSD that actually met the original and very public promises they made almost a decade ago when they started selling Autopilot cars. Their inability to do so is not anyone else's fault, and certainly not the government's fault.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz and teko
In 2020, Musk said the MS will be a valuable investment with FSD, because it would be a Robotaxi -- fully self driving without a driver, by the end of the year. He also said the FSD at $5000 would be the best investment you could make. We are still waiting....

Reactions: teko
The NHTSA didn't tell Tesla to penalize inattentive drivers for a week. It only tells Tesla needs to do something about collisions associated with inattentive drivers.

This is a vicious cycle, though? The better Tesla makes the autopilot, even more drivers are attracted to trusting it too much and then smash into things.

I once tried Kia's "lane assistant" and it was so scary I'm still having nightmares. :) it pingponged between white lines even on a straight road.. much safer than Tesla because you really couldn't trust it for a second of autonomous driving.

This is a vicious cycle, though? The better Tesla makes the autopilot, even more drivers are attracted to trusting it too much and then smash into things.

I once tried Kia's "lane assistant" and it was so scary I'm still having nightmares. :) it pingponged between white lines even on a straight road.. much safer than Tesla because you really couldn't trust it for a second of autonomous driving.
GM Super Cruise has been hands-free since 2017 for the past 7 years. Mercedes L3 eyes off, hands-off, has been accident-free for more than 1 year in Germany and is coming to NV and CA this year. They don't resort to a 1-week penalty system. They beef up their technology.

Reactions: teko and mjavor