Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forced autopilot disengements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 'safety' updates have ruined autopilot. I feel it is much less safe with all of its prompts and warnings, and requires far too much input to acknowledge that you have your hand on the wheel. Furthermore it tells you off for daring to look to the side or touch the infotainment system - and gives you far less time before disengaging. Previously, autopilot provided an excellent safety feature whereby it would be a second set of eyes when you wanted to change the radio station or the AC, now it adds to the distraction with it's own warnings etc, so much so that it is easier to switch it off, change your radio or whatever, then switch it back on, meaning you've now removed this layer of safety.

I am a very attentive driver, I never try to cheat the system or anything but recently I've had three forced disengagements where previously I've never had one. No idea who came up with it, but they clearly haven't tested it properly. It's really annoying because autopilot is one of the main selling points for me, and they seem to have given up on it, and it feels like they are making the first moves to remove it entirely in the future.

Reactions: Jane4 and KalJoMoS
The new 'safety' updates have ruined autopilot. I feel it is much less safe with all of its prompts and warnings, and requires far too much input to acknowledge that you have your hand on the wheel. Furthermore it tells you off for daring to look to the side or touch the infotainment system - and gives you far less time before disengaging. Previously, autopilot provided an excellent safety feature whereby it would be a second set of eyes when you wanted to change the radio station or the AC, now it adds to the distraction with it's own warnings etc, so much so that it is easier to switch it off, change your radio or whatever, then switch it back on, meaning you've now removed this layer of safety.

I am a very attentive driver, I never try to cheat the system or anything but recently I've had three forced disengagements where previously I've never had one. No idea who came up with it, but they clearly haven't tested it properly. It's really annoying because autopilot is one of the main selling points for me, and they seem to have given up on it, and it feels like they are making the first moves to remove it entirely in the future.
Cover the interior camera and it will go right back to the old time-based method of registering attentiveness (at least for now).

• Informative
Reactions: adsheff