Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot worth the money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks
I didn't opt for autopilot when purchasing car. To get it now would cost me £5700 which I think is far too much especially when other cars are now catching up with the technology.i just watched a car wow video of the 2019 Mercedes A class which has it and looks identical to the tesla version.
Do you think tesla will reduce the price at some point in the future if it becomes common in other cars?
I would be happy to pay a bit extra just to the adaptive cruise control alone.
I would like to put some pressure on tesla to reduce the cost by everybody moaning about it.like auto wipers.or am I dreaming.

Yes AP is totally worth the money I have a AP1 car so little different and I think the price was £2500. I use it 90% on motorways just takes the stress away. I wouldn’t bother with full self driving yet not until legislation is clear!

Reactions: Ruffles
An additional consideration if you leased the car is that you get NOTHING back on Autopilot added after the original purchase. If you include AP when you spec the car, the lease residual value is more, so you get about half of the £5k cost back. If you add AP after the car purchase, it doesn't change the residual value, so you end up at the end of the lease handing back the car and getting no credit for having added AP.

Agree that being able to activate TACC adaptive cruise on its own would be a good option.

• Informative
Reactions: Couscous19
Just ordered my MX and I went for EAP, for me it was a toss up between 22” rims, PUP and EAP as I could only afford one, considering the loss of range and that after market rims just as nice at half the price that was discounted.

The PUP for me is more of a waste of money “for me anyway” as the stock sound system I’m happy with, I’m only interested in heating my own ass and self present doors I just cannot bring myself to pay for when every MX has the hardware, you paying a lot for a little bit of code that frankly I doubt I’d use anyway “tiny uk parking spaces” the same goes for bio defense minus the heap filter in drunk but again didn’t appeal to me.

Looking at the order tracker it appears I’m one of a few with this view mind...

So I spent the cash on EAP as it will make my motorway life a slightly happier one even on the M62.

Have you ordered yet, if ya need a code just shout still have the £375 credit, link removed from signature but I’m guessing I’m still allowed to offer in threads, if not I’m sure a mod will correct my behavior. :)

mine's in for service and Tesla gave me a BMW 420d Gran Coupe while they wait for some parts.

I'm exhausted by the time I get home now.
Damn thing spends its whole life shuffling all its 8 gears as it is never in a usable one, I have to remember that the cruise control will just drive you straight into the back of anything slower in front and I even have to steer constantly. the Nav is an utter joke and entering an address involves spinning the iDrive control for the letter, it's all just so quaint Did wonder if there was a hole in the floor to run along Fred Flintsone style.

Can't wait to get my lovely relaxing AP back, and a Navigation screen that is actually usable and the updates that add to the fun.
Worth every damn cent/penny imho.

That answer your question?

I’ve driven from Surrey to Celtic Manor and back over the last couple of days. Brilliant weather for golf :D .

AP was fantastic. M25 and M4, faultless all the way. A Tesla is only half a car without it IMO.

You mention auto wipers and the moaning. That was because the feature was supposed to be included as standard, but in AP2 cars they dropped the traditional rain sensor to use the cameras instead. Took them more than a year to get it to work.

Will AP get cheaper? Highly unlikely IMO.

Reactions: Electroman
I can't imagine buying any new car in the Tesla price range without having AP these days.

Even at the lower price point of the M3, just look at the tech built into the new Mercedes A Class...

They seem to have matched or exceeded most of the current Tesla AP2 features and they even have AR navigation guidance.

The pressure is on for Tesla to stay ahead of the traditional car manufacturers on this front it seems...

Reactions: Electroman
Hi folks
I didn't opt for autopilot when purchasing car. To get it now would cost me £5700 which I think is far too much especially when other cars are now catching up with the technology.i just watched a car wow video of the 2019 Mercedes A class which has it and looks identical to the tesla version.
Do you think tesla will reduce the price at some point in the future if it becomes common in other cars?
I would be happy to pay a bit extra just to the adaptive cruise control alone.
I would like to put some pressure on tesla to reduce the cost by everybody moaning about it.like auto wipers.or am I dreaming.

The choice to opt for Autopilot or not is a personal one. Some, like me, like Autopilot. It makes the car more "tech". But some people prefer to drive on their own. Also, AutoPilot is not bug free. eg. dramatic braking on the highway for no apparent reason is an issue, atleast here in The Netherlands (due to wrong speed limits in the database). This also is a reason for some to not use AutoPilot.

Regarding the price.. I have checked other brands such as VW, Mercedes, Audi, Nissan (leaf), and the option EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) is not overpriced compared to other brands. In the Dutch forum there was a comment also that "Other brands have TACC by default", and I checked that and was not the case (at least not in The Netherlands).

In the end, I think the need for EAP depends purely on their own choice. Some like TACC, some dont. Same with AutoPilot, some love it some hate it. For me personally, AutoPilot is a feature that "defines the car". It sets it apart from other brands and I think its great to see a car steering on its own.

Remember that you need the EAP option to have TACC. So if you really want TACC, you've made your choice. You get the autosteer as a bonus then which you dont have to use.

some people prefer to drive on their own

I can't imagine why (this not aimed at you, but at the "I prefer to drive" cohort). I'm a petrol head (well ... an "electric-head" now I suppose!), and have never thought of driving as a chore or un-enjoyable, but that said a huge proportion of my driving is motorway, and on non-motorway I am often in bumper-to-bumper traffic, even if it is only a minute, here and there, whilst getting to the front of a queue for a roundabout.

On Dual carriageway I am on AP very nearly 100% of the time. Its not that I don't WANT to drive, I'm happy to, its that a combination of AP and ME is better than ME alone. Its a self-preservation thing. At the very moment when I glance at the dashboard something may happen , and AP will deal with that (indeed, it has happened, and AP saved me ...). The car two-in-front, that I cannot see, may brake suddenly and AP can see that (i.e. radar echo UNDER the car in front). The vehicle alongside may stray towards me, and if I have not noticed then AP will move out of the way. I also arrive more refreshed / unstressed which hopefully is also prolonging my grey-hair-free days ...

dramatic braking on the highway for no apparent reason

Definitely. But I am "driving". Hand on wheel "ready" and foot by "accelerator" ready. When AP brakes unnecessarily I just push accelerator myself. Yes its a nuisance (although i don't think "annoying", but I'm a techie, so I do understand, and am happy with the fact, that AP isn't perfect yet), but it doesn't happen often (I guess once every 500 - 1,000 miles) (I maybe better off with HW1 /AP1 than HW2/AP2 as HW1 reads speed signs and is less dependent on Speed Limit Map data)

When AP reduces speed to 45 MPH (on some main, non dual carriageway, roads here - speed limit 60 MPH) I use just TACC. That maintains a better distance than I probably would "driving manually" and will do the other "looking out for trouble" things that AP does.

The only risk is that someone would become over confident and not be paying attention and that has, sadly, resulted in two fatalities on AP (that I know of)

There is a reduced insurance rate (here in UK) if AP is fitted and, apparently, Tesla have reduced-accident-rate data from when they activated AP1 - .i.e. they had a large fleet of cars on the road that was AP1 capable, but (like the recent AP2) all the owners were patiently waiting for AP1 to arrive OTA. When it arrived the accident rate dropped (from memory 40%). Seems like a good justification to me ... I feel sorry for anyone who has an accident that AP would have avoided ...

mine's in for service and Tesla gave me a BMW 420d Gran Coupe while they wait for some parts.

I'm exhausted by the time I get home now.
Damn thing spends its whole life shuffling all its 8 gears as it is never in a usable one, I have to remember that the cruise control will just drive you straight into the back of anything slower in front and I even have to steer constantly. the Nav is an utter joke and entering an address involves spinning the iDrive control for the letter, it's all just so quaint Did wonder if there was a hole in the floor to run along Fred Flintsone style.

Can't wait to get my lovely relaxing AP back, and a Navigation screen that is actually usable

Shame that they didn't give you the 430d Gran Coupe as that's what I drive and the extra litre seems to make a lot of difference as gear changes are quick and almost imperceptible.

Mine also has voice control for the sat nav so no fiddling around with iDrive

Personally I agree 100%, it's not worth £5k+, but my commute is all A roads with just the central white line and having tried Autopilot, it was far from relaxing.

I do think that TACC should be free at the Model S/X price point, with the other Autopilot functionality a £2k upgrade, but I get that Tesla need the money so it's unlikely to happen.

With that said, their competition are catching up fast so I think they're going to have to respond soon or risk losing out.