Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference of autopilot between base model, 2nd tier and full autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering if there are any autopilot difference between different tiers? I know there is the difference for changing lane and stopping at the traffic light, but I’m more interested to know the difference in autopilot itself.

For example, I notice in my base model, let’s say the autopilot speed is set at 70mph, and currently the car is cruising at 55mph. But if the front car accelerate, my Tesla would take ages to accelerate and the gap between the front cars can sometimes feel like 10 car length (only an estimate, but is significantly more than the set default 3 car lengths).

Then at times, my Tesla would drive too fast to approach the front car, then slam the brake when it’s getting close, that honestly is very scary, but it doesn’t happen every time.

Will the 2nd tier and top tier of autopilot be better in those situations?

But if the front car accelerate, my Tesla would take ages to accelerate and the gap between the front cars can sometimes feel like 10 car length (only an estimate, but is significantly more than the set default 3 car lengths).

Then at times, my Tesla would drive too fast to approach the front car, then slam the brake when it’s getting close, that honestly is very scary, but it doesn’t happen every time.

I get that on both my FSD and EAP cars

If it was AEB or PB the OP would know…

The Autopilot braking is quite harsh so it’s possible it’s just that. I don’t like it either to be honest so I disengage if I know the car will need to stop.

They are all forms of phantom braking, but the emergency braking at shadows the vision system thinks is a car/human/obstacle in the path is very alarming. I've experienced it a number of times on motorways. The occasional 'nervous' braking the system does when it thinks a lorry is coming too close, etc, is another kind of phantom braking, but experience now allows me to avoid most of these, disengaging AP when other drivers cannot stay in their lane ahead of me, never letting NOA move a lane left if the inside lane has a lorry in it, etc. The latter form is initially disconcerting but not a big deal. Many people haven't experienced the former, but it's frightening.

Thank you for all of the replies. Seems like autopilot is the same for all versions so probably not going to upgrade, but I do fancy the lane change in EAP. I want to also clarify a few things below.

I would say there are currently three main autopilot problems for me. The first problem is Tesla responds poorly to front car accelerating and leave a large gap. This is not a huge concern but can be annoying and would sometimes trigger the driver behind to become impatient and potentially do something risky and dangerous.

The second problem is Tesla in autopilot would sometimes accelerate to reach the front car and then brake when it’s near. I don’t mean this behaviour happens when the front car brakes, but it’s more of a Tesla fails to see the front cars are driving at a much slower speed, so it would quickly close the gap, then realise oops the front cars are too slow and I (Tesla) need to brake to avoid a collision. This doesn’t happen every time, Tesla sometimes will indeed ease into the gap just like how a real driver would drive.

The third problem is phantom braking, braking suddenly without visible obstacles (could be shadows). This is the most dangerous problem as it could cause a collision if the car behind is close.

I was hoping the more advanced version can autopilot without the aforementioned problems, but it doesn’t seem to be that case.

Thank you for all of the replies. Seems like autopilot is the same for all versions so probably not going to upgrade, but I do fancy the lane change in EAP. I want to also clarify a few things below.

I would say there are currently three main autopilot problems for me. The first problem is Tesla responds poorly to front car accelerating and leave a large gap. This is not a huge concern but can be annoying and would sometimes trigger the driver behind to become impatient and potentially do something risky and dangerous.

The second problem is Tesla in autopilot would sometimes accelerate to reach the front car and then brake when it’s near. I don’t mean this behaviour happens when the front car brakes, but it’s more of a Tesla fails to see the front cars are driving at a much slower speed, so it would quickly close the gap, then realise oops the front cars are too slow and I (Tesla) need to brake to avoid a collision. This doesn’t happen every time, Tesla sometimes will indeed ease into the gap just like how a real driver would drive.

The third problem is phantom braking, braking suddenly without visible obstacles (could be shadows). This is the most dangerous problem as it could cause a collision if the car behind is close.

I was hoping the more advanced version can autopilot without the aforementioned problems, but it doesn’t seem to be that case.
Would be useful to mention my car is 2023 Model Y, the one relies fully on vision without the ultrasonic sensors.

Read the posts about EAP before splashing cash on it.
The first problem is Tesla responds poorly to front car accelerating and leave a large gap. This is not a huge concern but can be annoying and would sometimes trigger the driver behind to become impatient and potentially do something risky and dangerous.
There's a little known hack that fixes that.

No 15 on this image :)

I do fancy the lane change in EAP

I have EAP. I do use it, beware that it doesn't always change lanes when "commanded", and it do things that you probably won't like - such as moving to into nearside lane just as the car is coming up to an on-ramp - when it will likely have to move back over again immediately, or get boxed in and have to brake. Navigate-on-Autopilot is good if, like me, you are inclined to go sailing past your exit - even with GPS saying "FOR THE LAST TIME, AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, **TAKE THE EXIT**" :)

Tesla responds poorly to front car accelerating and leave a large gap

You can tap the accelerator to tell it to sort that out. That's not exactly letting the car do the driving though.

Tesla in autopilot would sometimes accelerate to reach the front car and then brake when it’s near

I want AP to optimise Regen to the max in that situation. Hitting the friction brakes, except in unforeseen circumstnaces, should never happen.

I was hoping the more advanced version can autopilot

Once FSDbeta gets to the point where it is "safe for all" then likely that AP will be replaced by "Bits of FSD-proper", until then the existing AP code is in a dead-end, and not going to get much love