Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer and FSD Confusion

Receiving FSD beta warning on Autosteer beta. Not sure is this right.

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A feature of beta ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20230706-103339_Original.png
Screenshot_20230706-103408_Original.png

All right. You, sir, have, whether you realized it or not, have subscribed to the FSD Beta program.

And you know this. You had to request it. And, when you turned it on, you had to click through all the nifty stuff, like, "The car will do the worst thing and the wrong time."

You are now officially be warned, by me: This is not a drill. This is not a, "click through it and ignore all the legalese" kind of experience. In Caps, Bolded, and Italicized, we have:

IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS WHILE DRIVING THE CAR IT WILL KILL YOU.

Not maybe. It will. You cannot read a book/watch a move/play a game/text people for fun and profit/take your eyes off the road for any length of time/whatever when you're chugging around in FSD-b.

In addition, in all that fine print that, pretty obviously, you didn't read, Tesla enforces this as well as they can. The cabin facing camera up at the top of the windshield? It's watching which way you're pointing your eyes. There's a torque sensor on the steering wheel: It's looking for the weight of your hands on the wheel and some movement, to indicate that, indeed, you're in a position to Take Over when the car (not if the car, when) does something stupid.

Now, there are brass-plated idiots about who do various things to defeat the above safety measures. I'm not going to tell you what those methods are.. because I don't trust you, and, for sure, until you get your act together, you're not just a hazard to yourself but to other members of the public who would get hit by your car WHEN it does something stupid.

What you see above: Pretty straightforward. If you take your hands off the wheel for roughly a minute, you're going to get a demerit. Get four of those and No More FSD-B For You! At least, for a week, then it'll reset, and you'll get it back again.

Now, having said all that: If you take your eyes off the road to tune the radio, adjust the windshield wipers, stuff like that: Just do it quickly when it's safe to do so. Won't be a problem. As far as the steering wheel goes, there seems to be three general solutions out there that are all vaguely legit:
  • Drive with one hand, and that hand at the 3-o'clock or 9-o'clock position. The jiggling of your hand in response to the vibration of the car going moving is usually enough to keep FSD-b happy.
  • Drive with both hands, but cultivate a habit of gently leaning to the left, then the right, back and forth, all the time. That also works. If one just, "drives" straight ahead the person-detector doesn't see the wiggling and gets confused, thinks you're not there.
  • Some people swear by hitting the scroll wheels on one side or the other. It works. I don't do that. Your call.
Finally, some general points: I've been driving FSD-b around for something over a year now. It's a lot safer than it used to be, but it has its moments where, if you don't stop if from doing something stupid, you'll either scare other drivers, frustrate other drivers, scare/frustrate yourself, and possibly bend metal. Generally, I've never had a situation where it tried to do something dangerous and there wasn't time to stop it from doing that. But you have to pay attention so you can react. You do not have 30 seconds: You've got a second or two, minimum. Plenty of time - if you're paying attention.

Next: Lest you think those of us running around with FSD-b are doing so with white knuckles, think again. First: On interstates and the like, FSD-b does a decent job and tends very much not to get into trouble. You don't have to pay attention to the speed limit or keeping it in lane so much: You use the spare time to scan the area to look for idiots, in a kind of supervisory role. Less stress, really. On local roads, FSD-b makes more mistakes; maybe (these days) two or three per mile, but also 20 miles sans problems. It's not going to go crazy on a straight road with stripes; it's intersections, pedestrians, and that where Bad Stuff might happen. So, at intersections (this is not surprise) one pays attention. If the car goes through correctly, you're good. If it does something stupid, override, that's your job.

And that's the final point I'm going to make. When you're working with FSD-b, you're testing. You're looking for corner cases and reporting them back to Tesla every time you override the car's driving. Yes, you've paid for FSD-b. But, you've paid for the beta. It's like buying a home pre-construction: It's cheaper before they've built it, more expensive after they have. Your reporting problems back to Tesla means that Tesla has more data to get the FSD out of beta, which benefits you.

In the meantime, it's a vaguely working ADAS system that, unlike the ones from other vendors, works practically everywhere. It's Beta, so you have to pay attention. But, outside of that, it does a decent job. Especially on freeways. Not quite ready for Prime Time, but it's getting closer every month.

Reactions: jbarnum
All right. You, sir, have, whether you realized it or not, have subscribed to the FSD Beta program.

And you know this. You had to request it. And, when you turned it on, you had to click through all the nifty stuff, like, "The car will do the worst thing and the wrong time."

You are now officially be warned, by me: This is not a drill. This is not a, "click through it and ignore all the legalese" kind of experience. In Caps, Bolded, and Italicized, we have:

IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS WHILE DRIVING THE CAR IT WILL KILL YOU.

Not maybe. It will. You cannot read a book/watch a move/play a game/text people for fun and profit/take your eyes off the road for any length of time/whatever when you're chugging around in FSD-b.

In addition, in all that fine print that, pretty obviously, you didn't read, Tesla enforces this as well as they can. The cabin facing camera up at the top of the windshield? It's watching which way you're pointing your eyes. There's a torque sensor on the steering wheel: It's looking for the weight of your hands on the wheel and some movement, to indicate that, indeed, you're in a position to Take Over when the car (not if the car, when) does something stupid.

Now, there are brass-plated idiots about who do various things to defeat the above safety measures. I'm not going to tell you what those methods are.. because I don't trust you, and, for sure, until you get your act together, you're not just a hazard to yourself but to other members of the public who would get hit by your car WHEN it does something stupid.

What you see above: Pretty straightforward. If you take your hands off the wheel for roughly a minute, you're going to get a demerit. Get four of those and No More FSD-B For You! At least, for a week, then it'll reset, and you'll get it back again.

Now, having said all that: If you take your eyes off the road to tune the radio, adjust the windshield wipers, stuff like that: Just do it quickly when it's safe to do so. Won't be a problem. As far as the steering wheel goes, there seems to be three general solutions out there that are all vaguely legit:
  • Drive with one hand, and that hand at the 3-o'clock or 9-o'clock position. The jiggling of your hand in response to the vibration of the car going moving is usually enough to keep FSD-b happy.
  • Drive with both hands, but cultivate a habit of gently leaning to the left, then the right, back and forth, all the time. That also works. If one just, "drives" straight ahead the person-detector doesn't see the wiggling and gets confused, thinks you're not there.
  • Some people swear by hitting the scroll wheels on one side or the other. It works. I don't do that. Your call.
Finally, some general points: I've been driving FSD-b around for something over a year now. It's a lot safer than it used to be, but it has its moments where, if you don't stop if from doing something stupid, you'll either scare other drivers, frustrate other drivers, scare/frustrate yourself, and possibly bend metal. Generally, I've never had a situation where it tried to do something dangerous and there wasn't time to stop it from doing that. But you have to pay attention so you can react. You do not have 30 seconds: You've got a second or two, minimum. Plenty of time - if you're paying attention.

Next: Lest you think those of us running around with FSD-b are doing so with white knuckles, think again. First: On interstates and the like, FSD-b does a decent job and tends very much not to get into trouble. You don't have to pay attention to the speed limit or keeping it in lane so much: You use the spare time to scan the area to look for idiots, in a kind of supervisory role. Less stress, really. On local roads, FSD-b makes more mistakes; maybe (these days) two or three per mile, but also 20 miles sans problems. It's not going to go crazy on a straight road with stripes; it's intersections, pedestrians, and that where Bad Stuff might happen. So, at intersections (this is not surprise) one pays attention. If the car goes through correctly, you're good. If it does something stupid, override, that's your job.

And that's the final point I'm going to make. When you're working with FSD-b, you're testing. You're looking for corner cases and reporting them back to Tesla every time you override the car's driving. Yes, you've paid for FSD-b. But, you've paid for the beta. It's like buying a home pre-construction: It's cheaper before they've built it, more expensive after they have. Your reporting problems back to Tesla means that Tesla has more data to get the FSD out of beta, which benefits you.

In the meantime, it's a vaguely working ADAS system that, unlike the ones from other vendors, works practically everywhere. It's Beta, so you have to pay attention. But, outside of that, it does a decent job. Especially on freeways. Not quite ready for Prime Time, but it's getting closer every month.
Sir, what you tried to say?