Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla “Autosteer On City Streets” For FSD No Longer "Coming Soon"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Seems like Tesla have removed the "coming soon" label from “Autosteer On City Streets” For FSD option.

This presumably means Tesla can now realize the revenue on the books. In terms of end user, perhaps it means the feature is now merging on the main branch (no longer FSD Beta delayed from getting features from main branch), although it could also simply be Tesla recognizing the current FSD Beta essentially is already a public release, given there are now no longer any requirements like safety score to activate it.

If you read it again, it didn't change. The line at the top says something like "will be coming" Which is effectively the same thing.

It just means that they are updating the wording for the NHTSA.
This is the whole passage. I see no "will be coming" wording. Previously it said "Coming Soon" specifically for Autosteer on city streets.

"Full Self-Driving Capability
$12,000

Your car will be able to drive itself almost anywhere with minimal driver intervention and will continuously improve
All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
Autosteer on city streets
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

So I read "Your car will be able" as being the future, but in rereading it, I can see the other interpretation.

But the long text at the bottom pretty well says it all.

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

People just want to read too much into simple changes.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So I read "Your car will be able" as being the future, but in rereading it, I can see the other interpretation.

But the long text at the bottom pretty well says it all.

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

People just want to read too much into simple changes.
That passage was already there previously and will remain there as long as the feature remains an L2 feature.

The significant part is "Autosteer on city streets" is no longer considered as "Coming Soon" feature. It may be a simple change but can have significant implications, especially as it relates to accounting (previously Tesla had to hold back revenue based on yet to be delivered FSD functionality, but this essentially considers it as feature complete).

That passage was already there previously and will remain there as long as the feature remains an L2 feature.

The significant part is "Autosteer on city streets" is no longer considered as "Coming Soon" feature. It may be a simple change but can have significant implications, especially as it relates to accounting (previously Tesla had to hold back revenue based on yet to be delivered FSD functionality, but this essentially considers it as feature complete).
That is totally. some people reading it a certain way.
I personally thought that it was pretty stupid to have it, since it has been there for a long time.
I think that it was mostly done because someone noticed that it was still there and probably should have been removed a long time ago. Or maybe it was removed because a FSD Beta version is now available for all cars in the fleet.

And feature complete is such a BS scapegoat concept. When I got my Model 3, it wasn't "feature complete." Truly, my back seat heaters weren't able to be controlled yet.

The OS on your phone, the OS on your computers are getting features added all the time. So get real on "feature complete"

It just means anyone can turn it on now with an active subscription since beta software has been included in the general software version for the last couple months. It’s no longer limited access.
TeslaFi is still not showing every current build as having FSD Beta (for example, 2023.32.1), but I'm guessing that's not accurate. Some of the 2023.26.x builds were not showing FSD Beta on TeslaFi earlier, but now they all do. Not sure how TeslaFi gathers the FSD Beta information.

That is totally. some people reading it a certain way.
I personally thought that it was pretty stupid to have it, since it has been there for a long time.
I think that it was mostly done because someone noticed that it was still there and probably should have been removed a long time ago. Or maybe it was removed because a FSD Beta version is now available for all cars in the fleet.

And feature complete is such a BS scapegoat concept. When I got my Model 3, it wasn't "feature complete." Truly, my back seat heaters weren't able to be controlled yet.

The OS on your phone, the OS on your computers are getting features added all the time. So get real on "feature complete"
Getting features added and getting an explicitly promised bullet point feature that was on the order page working at least in a basic way, are two different things. That was the whole point of the "Coming Soon" and the withholding of revenue from being recognized.

Getting features added and getting an explicitly promised bullet point feature that was on the order page working at least in a basic way, are two different things. That was the whole point of the "Coming Soon" and the withholding of revenue from being recognized.
Do you have specific legal opinions on your "Coming Soon" statement? Or is it just a guess?

I don't believe that I was quoted that I'd get Spotify, but I did.

And really, do you think that changing a simple phrase on a web page could keep Tesla from recognizing the revenue if they wanted to?
And to the other side, if Tesla was to recognize the revenue today, don't you think that were be a quick Shareholder lawsuit?

There's much more probability that they are getting ready to handle the NHTSB investigation results.

Yes, but there are still two very separated groups..."Testers" who get the newest FSD builds and everyone else who get the latest "stable" build.
Sure. There’s always going to be newer and older versions and some people will have access to newer versions than others. But some version of FSDb is available now to anyone that wants it as long as they pay for it, so in that sense it’s no longer “coming soon”.

It doesn’t signify that they are unifying both software streams or imminent V12 release or anything like that. People are trying to read too much into it.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Do you have specific legal opinions on your "Coming Soon" statement? Or is it just a guess?

I don't believe that I was quoted that I'd get Spotify, but I did.
IANAL, so I can't offer any legal opinions (and even if I was, I wouldn't be doing so on an internet forum).

But I think it is self evident that something that is explicitly promised on the order page holds more significance than features that are silently included or offered, especially ones added after sale. For example, for your Spotify, if Tesla ever had a legal dispute with them and needed to remove the app, Tesla would have no legal consequences given that was a bonus service that they added.

But they would have legal consequences if they for example removed AP.

And really, do you think that changing a simple phrase on a web page could keep Tesla from recognizing the revenue if they wanted to?
You have the cause and effect flipped. I'm saying it's the fact that they determined it's "feature complete" that would allow them to change the wording and recognize the revenue. Not that it's the change in wording alone that would allow them to recognize the revenue.
And to the other side, if Tesla was to recognize the revenue today, don't you think that were be a quick Shareholder lawsuit?
I'm not quite following. Why would there be a shareholder lawsuit?
There's much more probability that they are getting ready to handle the NHTSB investigation results.

• Disagree
Reactions: legendsk
Just a data point, in Europe the steering on city streets is still mentioned under "coming soon". In North America it is not. So the countries where FSDbeta is not limited access anymore have "taken delivery" of that feature I guess.

The next step, autonomy, is handled by the fine print stating Tesla must prove reliability much safer than humans and having regulatory approval.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Fair enough. In Europe on the other hand it is far from allowed at this time.
UN ECE r157 allows for level 3 for any vehicle that is capable of meeting the regulations. Many countries in the world have signed up to UN ECE regulations, it’s not just a European thing. Nothing stopping Tesla gaining approval other than will to do so and/or competency.

In UK we even keep an approved list of cars that have met that regulation. Last time I looked, it was a list of zero. But at least some manufacturers are trying.

Regs below along with many amendments in separate documents.

Reactions: KArnold and Tam