TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

AutoSteer behavior change?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tls, Aug 22, 2016.

1. tls

tls Member

May 17, 2015
    New York, New York
    I drove US Route 9W yesterday from near Kingston, NY to the Mid-Hudson bridge. This is a four-lane, guardrail-divided, non limited access road with occasional stop lights. Similar to the road in the Florida crash though there are few or no cross streets without stop lights.

Autosteer limited speed to 5 over the limit (so, 60MPH) the whole way even though the road is 4 lanes and divided. I repeatedly disengaged and reengaged to test, even changing lanes a few times. It looks to me like they may have changed behavior on this type of road (which, frankly, I think is called for -- this is road design is notorious with traffic engineers as obsolete and dangerous). My car has 2.28.19 -- not sure when it last updated, there have been a few in quick succession lately.

Unfortunately, my one main AP gripe (sudden acceleration to previous set speed on autosteer cancel) still seems to be there. If they are making this kind of minor AP tweak for further safety, hopefully they'll get to that one soon.
  2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Apr 8, 2015
    Not all roads are entered into the database correctly, correlation does not prove causation.
  3. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Apr 25, 2015
    So. FL
    And there is no system in place to report roads that are mis-classified.
  4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Jun 24, 2014
    Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
    I really think that their differentiator should be limited access roads. Not divided. There are lots of divided roads that have cross traffic, which adds chances for risk, as we saw in Florida.