Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer on motorway = great. Autosteer on A road = dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One issue is that I commonly drive on a relatively narrow "A" road that has quiet stretches with open corners that any sensible driver (me) takes a driving line that cuts well across the centre line. In those instances I can see the road quarter of a mile ahead is clear of oncoming traffic, but I am looking across open countryside to see that next section of road ... It's not just the road at the corner itself that I need to be clear. If my car is learning from the way I drive the road then I hope it doesn't think it can take that line in every circumstance!

Having driven a lot in the UK, and applying my USA experience....

You should be able to successfully use AutoSteer on Dual Carriageways and on some larger well-marked A roads, but you are responsible for taking over for roundabouts and red lights, and also if the road format changes.
I use it all the time here on 4 lane roads (divided and undivided), but very sparingly on 2 lane roads, even if well marked.

"well marked" means having consistently lines on both sides of your carriageway, so the car doesn't have to guess where to put itself.

Having driven a lot in the UK, and applying my USA experience....

You should be able to successfully use AutoSteer on Dual Carriageways and on some larger well-marked A roads, but you are responsible for taking over for roundabouts and red lights, and also if the road format changes.
I use it all the time here on 4 lane roads (divided and undivided), but very sparingly on 2 lane roads, even if well marked.

"well marked" means having consistently lines on both sides of your carriageway, so the car doesn't have to guess where to put itself.

Yes, I think we are knowingly "testing" the capabilities on roads that we hope may be driven safely at some point in the future. We are trying to get clues that give us an idea as to whether that capability is nearly there or still some way off. I don't think any reasonable person really expects the car to (currently) safely drive smaller roads with poor markings. However, there are so many roads in the UK that come into that category that full self driving can only be claimed once that nut is cracked.

Really interesting video, 4 minutes in and you can see Tesla can already 'map' out roads around the car very well.

Also interesting to hear some limitations is just on data input, 8 camera and 16 time frames creats some 4000 images to analyse at any one time.....can you imagine the headache of adding more sensory data into that load, like LIDAR or even Radar!!

Tesla clearly have some clever guys working for them, regardless of if you think FSD will work £5k is a small price to pay just to be involved, bare in mind Apple/Samasung will happily take upto £1.5k off you just for their latest smart phone!

Reactions: WannabeOwner