Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Wh/mi since owning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for ages I've been sweating about my Wh/mi being over 300 and thinking I'm getting terrible efficiency because others are saying 250.

Then I did the math and for a 200 mile trip -

250Wh/mi costs £7.50
350Wh/mi costs £10.50

Worst case £3 difference on a long trip. No more sleepless nights for me. Sometimes with this car I get lost in the data.
I’m not worried about the running cost when I consider that, it’s more range and convenience. They do charge pretty quickly at Superchargers though so not a massive deal, also depends on how many longer journeys you do.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Definitely. I’ve had AB on 3&Y LR Teslas & in the 20-50mph overtaking range acceleration is virtually identical. Off the line is close enough if needed & when driving ‘normally’ it seems to have no impact on Wh/mi either.
Yeah it shouldn’t have an impact on efficiency as it’s still the same motor. I think it you put 18’s on a Performance (Non Tesla rims as theirs don’t fit over the brakes) you’d get the same efficiency. Maybe have to pull the rear spoiler off also depending on your speed but after that it’s pretty much same car as a LR when it comes to efficiency. Just had an Acceleration Boost+ on it really.

I guess those with the original 'unicorn' 18" 3Ps would have the same efficiency as an LR if driven smoothly but greater acceleration when needed.

Tesla have traditionally been 'shifty' with 0-60 ratings on these cars as the Performance 3 & Y is shown with a 1' rollout whereas the other variants are measured from a standing start. AB 'removes' 0.5sec from the 0-60.

3LR rated 4.2 (3.7 with AB)
3P rated 3.1 (but really around 3.3 if measured like-for-like)

YLR rated 4.8 (4.3 with AB)
YP rated 3.5 (but really around 3.7 if measured like-for-like)

The Y+AB has basically the same 0-60 as a 3LR but lower efficiency based on size/weight.

When we did various experiments with a friends 3P vs my 3LR+AB, only off the line did the 3P pull ahead but once moving past about 35mph the gap stayed basically the same, It was about one car length. Both accelerating hard from 30mph on a quiet dual carriageway, we matched each other.

I guess those with the original 'unicorn' 18" 3Ps would have the same efficiency as an LR if driven smoothly but greater acceleration when needed.

Tesla have traditionally been 'shifty' with 0-60 ratings on these cars as the Performance 3 & Y is shown with a 1' rollout whereas the other variants are measured from a standing start. AB 'removes' 0.5sec from the 0-60.

The Y+AB has basically the same 0-60 as a 3LR but lower efficiency based on size/weight.

When we did various experiments with a friends 3P vs my 3LR+AB, only off the line did the 3P pull ahead but once moving past about 35mph the gap stayed basically the same, It was about one car length. Both accelerating hard from 30mph on a quiet dual carriageway, we matched each other.
but AB also reduces the range

Have you tried?

Last summer on a couple of occasions I managed to hit the rated range on long journeys driving at 67mph max including several 60. 50 or 40 smart motorway sections. Even over Christmas when it was relatively warm the car came very close on a 290 mile journey (& still had plenty of charge left so extrapolated was well over 300 miles, near to the LR rated 330+)

AB only has an impact when you use it to accelerate hard.

Last edited:
Have you tried?

Last summer on a couple of occasions I managed to hit the rated range on long journeys driving at 67mph max including several 60. 50 or 40 smart motorway sections. Even over Christmas when it was relatively warm the car came very close on a 290 mile journey.

AB only has an impact when you use it to accelerate hard.
Well, tesla itself state that. At least in the past. If I recall correctly the range displayed at tesla pages was showing reduction by ~20 miles.

it WAS on their web page but not anymore I believe.. I remember that according tesla, the range dropped just a bit, but it was an implication of 50 bhp more

Yeah I’ve seen videos of this which showed exactly that. Other than the initial burst off the line there’s nothing in it.

I don’t believe it does unless you use that extra power. If you drive the same and don’t use that extra power it should be the same. This is one of the things I love about EV’s.

If you look at a SR vs LR the efficiency difference isn’t massive yet the car weights more, has an extra motor, etc. In the case of acceleration boost it’s still exactly the same car with just some more power unlocked from the motor.

Reactions: Drew57
I think the Wh/mi figures being quoted prove that - I achieved 253 over 32 months in a 3LR with Acceleration Boost (& 19" alloys which reduce range) and that is comparable with others without it.
Indeed. Shame it’s vanished but hopefully it’ll make a come back once the Performance is out and they’ve mopped up early demand. I think if the Performance is faster, there’s no reason not to sell it. It’s just if it stays as not much between them both then maybe they might never re-release it.

'Trips' segment on the screen in the car 👍
I know that in trips screen - but I had all of the trip segments reset some time in the past and overall I can see only a mileage :)

then there is since last charge, last drive and trip A and trip B (which I follow for new tyres) - that's it...
I cannot check for entire ownership

Teslamate, on the other hand shows:
293 wh/mi (net)
310 wh/mi (gross
over 36692 miles logged.

Reactions: AndyWarrington