Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avoid Blackvue Dashcams!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont think its a money issue. Many people just dont know about it.
Also memory brand is an issue. I believe blackvues dont like SANDISK
I have a transcend high endurance memory card and its been running for 2 years 24 hour recording.

Samsung Endurance running in BlackVue for 8 months, no issue yet. I will say though, I used the BV mlc in another application and it caused problems so I won't say any memory is foolproof.

Samsung Endurance running in BlackVue for 8 months, no issue yet. I will say though, I used the BV mlc in another application and it caused problems so I won't say any memory is foolproof.

As much as I love Samsung, their memory cards have failed me many times in the past. They were their pro models and it wasn't running in a dash cam. Iv avoided them ever since I had a few die. Maybe they have gotten better in the recent years

(RE: the Bioenno 12v battery) Interesting. They are a bit pricey though $500 for a battery wow
For a salvage vehicle owner like me who pays for their batteries, the cost of a C&D every year or so for ten years, or the certainty and safety of a LiFePO4 made the decision for me. Plus more than enough capacity, including if I add a significant inverter.

My 2015 P85D was wrecked only 9 months after delivery. The 12v had been crushed and it was already extensively sulphated. I won't speculate on the quality of C&D versus other brands, but this should not happen so soon.

I dont think its a money issue. Many people just dont know about it.
Also memory brand is an issue. I believe blackvues dont like SANDISK
I have a transcend high endurance memory card and its been running for 2 years 24 hour recording.

Also don't forget there are counterfeit name brand memory cards out there as well so make sure to buy a reputable card from a reputable source. This is not something I recommend that you buy on eBay.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
As much as I love Samsung, their memory cards have failed me many times in the past. They were their pro models and it wasn't running in a dash cam. Iv avoided them ever since I had a few die. Maybe they have gotten better in the recent years
It think there is a lot of data out there to support the statement that only a very specific subset of every major manufacturer has good cards for dashcam use. I think the heat, the write-cycles, and the size of the card all play factors, in addition to the quality of the NAND chips. In otherwords, I would not surprise me that you had difficulty with Samsung cards, or Sandisk, or Transcend, or whatever. The manufacturer along does not define the quality for this particular type of use.

I'm curious about the folks who disagreed with my original post - what are you disagreeing with? That it isn't working, that customer support was completely unhelpful and just left me hanging in the wind, or that many Blackvues are reported to fail after a fairly brief period of time?

I don't doubt you have/are having issues with your BlackVue. But where did you get your data that many BlackVues are reported to fail after a fairly brief period? Certainly some will, but people are posting their success and failures with BlackVue.
Like I posted, I think it could be more user friendly, but other than that mine has worked well for 2 years. And I am in AZ with no overheat issues. I use a BlackVue card. YMMV.

But where did you get your data that many BlackVues are reported to fail after a fairly brief period?
I did a Google search for "Blackvue problems" and several dashcam-focused forums show up in the results with many reports of failures within the first year of ownership. As supporting evidence, look at the number of respondents to this thread who report the same sort of thing.
I'm glad yours has worked over a longer period - and you are probably in the majority as far as that goes. But it appears that far too many units have failed far too soon after purchase. This most likely indicates either poor manufacturing quality control or a deficient design as far as robustness goes.

I did a Google search for "Blackvue problems" and several dashcam-focused forums show up in the results with many reports of failures within the first year of ownership. As supporting evidence, look at the number of respondents to this thread who report the same sort of thing.
I'm glad yours has worked over a longer period - and you are probably in the majority as far as that goes. But it appears that far too many units have failed far too soon after purchase. This most likely indicates either poor manufacturing quality control or a deficient design as far as robustness goes.
Keep in mind that, in general, those who complain will be more vocal than those that have had good success.

"Hey guys, just wanted to post about how I'm having no problems at all with my BlackVue."
-Rarely Happens

In my time researching dash cams, Blackvue is always the most highly regarded. I still haven't made a decision because it's impossible to find a model that doesn't have some bad reviews.
For what it's worth, I found this write up and site helpful: 5 Best Front and Rear Dash Cams 2019 - Compare Major Brands

I'm deciding between the Thinkware F800 Pro and the Blackvue DR750S - they prefer video quality, slightly, of the Thinkware vs. Blackvue. (Note for Blackvue they recommend the 750 over the newer 900.)

I have a pre-AP S, and I don't have the spare power supply in the mic compartment above the windshield.

@whitex Who did your install in the Seattle area? Thanks.

I have a 650S-2ch and it works since 2 years now without problems.

Do you have it setup to login to your home wifi network? Does it login every time, some of the time or rarely?

Are you using Blackvue over the cloud? How often do you view footage using Blackvue over the cloud? When you view footage, is it smooth or laggy? When you view footage, does it sometimes drop connection?

Does GPS work all of the time, some of the time or rarely?

I have a pre-AP S, and I don't have the spare power supply in the mic compartment.

Have you looked around in there? Sometimes it hides in the headliner.

@whitex Who did your install in the Seattle area? Thanks.
Self install on all cars, BV650 and 750 (got the 900 for Christmas but haven't had a chance to install it yet, should be quick but I've been really busy plus traveling so didn't want to have an untested dashcam for that). Always used the power connector in the grill, and fished the wire in the headliner through the boot into the rear hatch.

Reactions: BEEZR
I had some issues with a dual-channel 750 S and its warranty replacements. Eventually we did a deal and replacement this with a DR900, which has been totally reliable (so far). The only issue has been that my expensive 128 GB Blackvue SD card died after about a year's use - one has to remember that these cards do have limited write cycles. Blackvue's UK distributor kindly replaced this for me, even though it was (just) out of warranty.

So, I'm quite happy with the 900 - but I agree that 60 fps would help. I also find the video quality (even at 4K) disappointing. Despite using the highest-quality settings, there are too much video compression artefacts to get really good quality (e.g., to be able read licence plates in dim lighting).

Have you looked around in there? Sometimes it hides in the headliner.

Self install on all cars, BV650 and 750 (got the 900 for Christmas but haven't had a chance to install it yet, should be quick but I've been really busy plus traveling so didn't want to have an untested dashcam for that). Always used the power connector in the grill, and fished the wire in the headliner through the boot into the rear hatch.

Want another opportunity to practice your install skills? ;) (Not so much a car DIY guy.)
By power connector in the grill, do you mean behind the nose cone? Oh, and do I need the Power Magic Pro? I'm certain I'll get the thing half pulled apart and then hit some blocking issue...

Want another opportunity to practice your install skills? ;) (Not so much a car DIY guy.)
By power connector in the grill, do you mean behind the nose cone? Oh, and do I need the Power Magic Pro? I'm certain I'll get the thing half pulled apart and then hit some blocking issue...
Sorry, I only work on my own cars - mostly because I don't even have time to do what I want in my cars, but also liability, if I mess up my own car, I'm the only one who can blame me.

As installs go, this is a fairly easy one but you need to be comfortable taking inside panels off (and putting them back on). Search this forum, plenty of threads with pictures. Oh, and pick up a few of those blue clips which hold panels and roof lining, you are likely to break a few during the install.

Answering your questions:
Power connector most often used is behind the microphone grill. The grill just snaps out when you pull down on it.
No you don't need the Power Magic Pro.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BEEZR
I have a 2013 and powered my blackvue with the spare connector. He means the grill in the headliner. It's a plastic grill, like a speaker grill, same color as the headliner near the rear view mirror. When you sit in drivers seat look up and to the right. Give a good tug on it from the side that faces the rear of the vehicle(away from the rear view mirror). It just pops off and easy to snap back in. You should see a spare wire.
See step number two here: Dash Cam | TeslaTap

I have a 2013 and powered my blackvue with the spare connector. He means the grill in the headliner. It's a plastic grill, like a speaker grill, same color as the headliner near the rear view mirror. When you sit in drivers seat look up and to the right. Give a good tug on it from the side that faces the rear of the vehicle(away from the rear view mirror). It just pops off and easy to snap back in. You should see a spare wire.
See step number two here: Dash Cam | TeslaTap
Thanks. Yeah, I popped that piece off previously just didn't see the spare connector right away, but I didn't dig around too much. Will look further.

I know it seems super obvious, but the cameras ship with a plastic seal on parts of the cameras. This has caused some over heating and failure for some people since they didn't realize these were there. My installer left them on, but having researched the Blackvue before purchase I knew to look for it and immediately removed it.

Blackvue DR650S-2CH. Has worked fine for 2 years. Bought the card from Blackvue and I've never reformatted the card. I did have issues initially where I had to reboot the camera on occasion, but after a firmware update it automatically reboots every night and has worked fine since.

I do agree that the software could be easier to use, but for the few times I needed a video they were no problem to obtain off the card.

I've had a lot of memory card problems with blackvue before... I have 650s 750s and 900s installed in different cars, and it's always the memory card error.. every time I have to pull the power on it to reset the cam, or reformat the card.. the problem pops up quite often in the summer.. almost daily... All my memory cards before were the samsung amazon evo plus models... and I kept thinking it's blackvue problem... since all my blackvues regardless of model did the same thing... I eventually got sick of having to reset the cams so often, but I still couldn't stomach the price that blackvue charges for their own branded one...so I decided to try the slightly more expensive samsung endurance version of the memory cards... and the problems completely stopped.. haven't had the memory card error problem since I changed to cards about 6 months ago....