Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avoid Blackvue Dashcams!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same issue. Bought three Blackvue cameras and two failed within a year. Before the complete failure had l multiple sd card errors and over heating issues. Replaced with Blacksys dual camera setup and zero issues in over one year for all three camera. Plus parking mode is built into the camera. I also recently bought and Owl camera that is super easy to install and took 5 minutes. Does not have a true rear facing camera on the back window (the rear facing camera shows the vehicle interior). If Owl would come out with a real rear camera option it would be perfect IMO.

my Blackvue 650GW-2CH has been working perfectly in my MS for over 2.5 yrs now. Constantly powered up, parking mode enabled. No issues with the dashcam hardware. Main complaint is that the WiFi data transfer via smartphone app is slow, but if I want to review more than a single clip I'll pull the card out and view it on my computer using the Blackvue Viewer app.

Over time I've had a couple memory cards eventually fail (symptom: dashcam constantly reboots), but now I'm using a Transcend High Endurance MLC-NAND type flash card specifically made for applications like dashcams - it's been reliable. I recommend people having problems make sure they're using a suitable/reliable memory card.

Tried so many cheap and expensive dash cam

BlackVue is probably a feature rich dash cam brand, also with a higher price tag

I have 900-2CH, never have heat issue as I’m in Canada...

High quality video costs lots read and write on the memory card, use MLC card for better lifespan

Turn down a video quality settings a bit can get your memory card last longer

Tried so many cheap and expensive dash cam

BlackVue is probably a feature rich dash cam brand, also with a higher price tag

I have 900-2CH, never have heat issue as I’m in Canada...

High quality video costs lots read and write on the memory card, use MLC card for better lifespan

Turn down a video quality settings a bit can get your memory card last longer

How do you like the 4K resolution of the 900?

Most issues are due to the using incorrect memory cards. I recommend buying the SD card that comes from BlackVue. I've yet to have any issues with those.

Keep in mind that it's just a white label SanDisk so if you find the exact product number, it should work as well.

I'm curious about the folks who disagreed with my original post - what are you disagreeing with? That it isn't working, that customer support was completely unhelpful and just left me hanging in the wind, or that many Blackvues are reported to fail after a fairly brief period of time?

Brunton, some are just reflexive Blackview fanbois. They've made an emotional decision (Read: instinctive), as opposed to an intellectual one. I've tried to reason with them but it's no use.

One thing ppl should understand is that higher-res cameras like mine draw quite a bit of current. The C&D 12v batteries which come stock tend to sulphate in a year or so under normal conditions, and high-res cameras will accelerate that as they draw alot of current, especially if you run them all the time like I do.

That's why I've installed a LiFePO4 from Bioenno, a 50AH if I remember correctly. (stock C&D battery is 35AH) It's thicker so I had to make a custom stainless strap, but much lighter than an AGM. LiFePO4 is not as energy-dense as LiIon, but it lasts 10 times longer than AGM and by its nature won't erupt in flames, even when punctured. It took some machining to adapt the posts, but the good news is it's compatible with the standard AGM charging profile. I've got almost 2 years on it so far.

Interesting. I was about to like -- tonight -- get a 900S-2CH for my new MS75D. Right now I have a Garmin 65W dashcam that I considered a 'stop gap', but at least I have front end coverage.

The biggest draw, to me, of the 900S-2CH was the ability to do a live view. Was in a restaurant tonight and didn't want to go outside to check on my Tesla (Come on, it's new!) - from the phone. Does that feature work well even?

Just was under the impression that 'every Tesla owner went with Blackvue' - maybe I should rethink it.

I also have not had great luck with my BlackVue 2-Ch 750s.

More often than not, my rear camera doesn’t work (usually requires a manual power off/on to register/record). I’ve tried 3 different SD cards, formatting etc.

And recently it has been randomly rebooting while driving (maybe related to the cold?)

Even when everything is working, it isn’t the most user friendly experience.

Brunton, some are just reflexive Blackview fanbois. They've made an emotional decision (Read: instinctive), as opposed to an intellectual one. I've tried to reason with them but it's no use.

One thing ppl should understand is that higher-res cameras like mine draw quite a bit of current. The C&D 12v batteries which come stock tend to sulphate in a year or so under normal conditions, and high-res cameras will accelerate that as they draw alot of current, especially if you run them all the time like I do.

That's why I've installed a LiFePO4 from Bioenno, a 50AH if I remember correctly. (stock C&D battery is 35AH) It's thicker so I had to make a custom stainless strap, but much lighter than an AGM. LiFePO4 is not as energy-dense as LiIon, but it lasts 10 times longer than AGM and by its nature won't erupt in flames, even when punctured. It took some machining to adapt the posts, but the good news is it's compatible with the standard AGM charging profile. I've got almost 2 years on it so far.
Interesting. They are a bit pricey though $500 for a battery wow

I think the first culprit to look for is memory card. It bogals my mind how we can shell out 100k for a car, 500 for a dashcams, and then get the cheapest 32GB microSD from alibaba or monoprice. You need to be using either the BlackVue MLC card or some super high rated "endurance" card that has been known to work well in dashcam use.

I think the first culprit to look for is memory card. It bogals my mind how we can shell out 100k for a car, 500 for a dashcams, and then get the cheapest 32GB microSD from alibaba or monoprice. You need to be using either the BlackVue MLC card or some super high rated "endurance" card that has been known to work well in dashcam use.
I dont think its a money issue. Many people just dont know about it.
Also memory brand is an issue. I believe blackvues dont like SANDISK
I have a transcend high endurance memory card and its been running for 2 years 24 hour recording.